Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Can Government spy on me via Kronos?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
19naia
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:59 pm    Post subject: Can Government spy on me via Kronos? Reply with quote

I watched the news story where the presidents' Staff member mentioned US government spying on people thorough Microwaves.
I'm not sure how that works or if i am right to assume she meant the kitchen appliance microwave. ? I heard of a toaster picking up radio signals and probably just as well being rigged as a listening device.

Maybe my problem is that this news has me considering all my advanced home devices like computer, phone and TV.... But then i overlooked Kronos which is more likely to have as much advanced tech as a simple computer, minus the internet connection in my case. But how does a microwave oven or toaster connect to the internet to be an effective spy tool?
With Kronos having enough control surface to manage a space shuttle mission, i doubt i am far fetched in thinking it could just as easily as a microwave ,be tapped by any government voyeur complex.

Just curious as i have nothing to hide anyway... and whoever spies on me in the shower or toilet, deserves the trauma they get from it. Wink
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The average microwave oven doesn't intriniscally have the necessary components to easily spy on people, as such. However, very short wavelength radio waves, or microwaves, beamed at a suitable microwave reflecting surface in a room, could be used to spy on conversations or detect movements using the Doppler effect i.e. the same principle that is used in radar speed measuring devices, or using minute variations in reflected signal intensity. The same basic principle can be applied using laser listening devices. A person would need to be considered to be of "high merit" to the spying agencies for the necessary resources to be brought to bear.

The emergence of Internet of Things-capable devices offers some interesting opportunites for spying on people.

The greatest opportunities for governments to spy on people come from regular phone lines, mobile phones, and computers, plus bugging devices (search "spy store").

The Kronos is not going to be systematically transmitting every keystroke to some government agency nor is it capable of eavesdropping on conversations. However, it is theoretically possible to detect keystrokes (search for Tempest codename) but what use would that be? OK, so the Kronos contains a computer, but it is not normally internet connected.

GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess its better if you ask questions.

But the above statement you heard is utterly preposterous.

You should be checking valid news sites for fact checking
psionic311
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I take it 19naia that English is not your native language, and so you may have missed some of the subtleties of sarcasm and just blatantly incorrect "news".

There is a very fundamentally deep problem in the US today with the distortion or mistrust of science and facts versus false propaganda and "fake news" everywhere. It's hard enough to remove bias in investigative reporting, but the more common ailment is the deliberate spreading of misinformation. Unfortunately, since most Americans lack critical thinking skills and are succumb to peer pressures and social norms and pet conspiracy theories, they will believe almost anything that fits their personal belief system. Post-Trump, Truth is Dead.

As voip pointed out, there do indeed exist various methods of spying and hacking, involving certain uses of microwaves, radar, traditional computer hacking, radiowaves, etc. Heck, even infrared remotes and household lighting could be rigged for spying, but the technology and means to employ them are very scarce. The more common means of mass spying is through mobile technology, which is connected almost all the time.

Bottomline, your Kronos is not spying on you. In order to spy, the information gathered must have a means to be delivered. The unconnected Kronos does not have that capability. Rest easy.
19naia
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well i did hear about the new deal with "alternative facts", so its hard to tell whats fact, alternative fact or just the sound of flushing toilet these days.

But still i don't find it easy to trust the government no matter how mixed up i get the details of their activities.

I knew i could bring it to the forum and get straightened out. Lots of smart people here.
I haven't been so far gone by all the stories out there to the point of sitting at my kronos with a tin foil wizard cap on. Although that sounds like a good stage prop if i ever get a stage gig.
robw70

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why is the "Government" the primary target for these things?

I would have thought the mafia, terrorists, thieves, angry neighbours, serial killers would be far more a concern if folks are worried about being monitored.

In my neck of the woods, most days the Govt just runs the police force, the hospitals, the defence force, educates my kids.

I also have such a boring life most days that it would hardly worth monitoring.

As for cash, anyone is welcome to steal my growing debt... Wink
mikeyd

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ummmm...no. I think we're good.
jorgemncardoso

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really??!!??

Are you joking or are you actually serious??
If you are serious is just because of this ridiculous obsession everybody has this day in age of connecting everything and the kitchen sink to the internet all the time. Jezz... man, why the hell would you possibly need to have your Kronos connected to the net all the time?
I mean, I don't even have my cell phone or laptop connected all the time, I connected when I need to do something, and after I'm done I simply disconnect. It's bad enough all the risks of hacking and invasion on your personal stuff when you actually need to be connected.

If I ever buy a car that connects to the internet, first thing ill do is figure out how to disconnect it. Call me old fashioned, living in the past or whatever crap you want, don't care or need that stuff. *rant over *
Yamaha: Motif XS8
Roland: expanded JV-1010 modules (3X)
...And a bucket load of Softsynths, plug-ins, and DAW's Smile
pete.m

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikeyd wrote:
Ummmm...no. I think we're good.

I think my ex wife spies on me from my hacked yahoo email account from 1998

Do you think it's possible ?..
Wink
pete.m

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, Greg. I do still spy on you................................
fcoulter

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also thought the notion of the microwave spying on people was insane. But then I did a Google search and found that there are a bunch of internet connected microwaves. So, theoretically, it could be done. Especially since the new big thing is voice control, which means sticking a microphone in your microwave. Which would end up with a listening device in your kitchen.

But I also thought about the internet connected microwave itself, not as a spying device. I'm trying to figure out what possible benefit having an internet connection on the microwave provides. It can send you an email when the popcorn is done? Just how far are you from the microwave in the first place. And what do you gain from voice command? You still have to open the door and stick the food inside. (I own an Amazon Dot, and find that useful when cooking. Setting the timer while busy doing something else is useful. And background music while I cook keeps me a little saner. So I'm not against a voice interface in general, just for a microwave.)

So I'm still on the "this is crazy" side, but now the crazy people are the ones who feel that their microwave must be connected to the internet.

As for the Kronos spying on you, does it connect to the internet? If not, how would the people spying on you receive reports? (If it did connect to the internet, I wouldn't have to use a thumb drive to install updates and new sounds. Korg would be selling that IN BIG LETTERS in all their marketing. So I don't think there's a hidden WiFi connection.)

Korg: Kronos2 88
Other: Tyros 5 76, DGX-650, YPT-320, Fretted Clavichord, Upright Piano, DX-7, SY-99, eMu MPS (last three in attic)

RCM Certificates: Advanced Rudiments
Wagnergrad96

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We really are doomed. . . .

Darth Trump and the dumbing down of Ammurca.

I am going to just assume this poster was being sarcastic. Otherwise, I wouldn't be able to get through the days . . .
Geoff Flynn

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Can Government spy on me via Kronos? Reply with quote

19naia wrote:

Just curious as i have nothing to hide anyway... and whoever spies on me in the shower or toilet, deserves the trauma they get from it. Wink

You take your Kronos to the toilet?
Korg Oasys 76, Korg Kronos 2 61, Korg Wavestation EX, Roland Jupiter X, 2 x Roland A800 Pro, Yamaha SY77, MacBook Pro Retina 15-inch Core i7 2.7GHz 16GB / 768GB, MainStage 3, Cymatic uTrack24, Samson S Patch, U-PHORIA UMC404HD Audio interface, Yamaha MG16XU mixer
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wagnergrad96 wrote:
We really are doomed. . . .

Darth Trump and the dumbing down of Ammurca.

I am going to just assume this poster was being sarcastic. Otherwise, I wouldn't be able to get through the days . . .

As an American, I cringed in reading the O/p, thinking what our good friends from Europe, other countries, might conclude.

Most American voters/citizens have good BS detectors. They are hitting 11 almost every day.

BTW, we are not supposed have political posts here. The inclusion of Kronos in the topic should have been thought thru.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: