Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Can I use one RT knob for two parameters?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
swarupmahapatra

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 9:29 pm    Post subject: Can I use one RT knob for two parameters? Reply with quote

Hi Guys,

I was wondering if it's possible to use one RT knob for two parameters? Like we know knob 8 is commonly used for reverb. Can I use the same knob for Release as well in the same time?

My point is, I want to assign 5,6,7,8 for ADSR. But while doing that, I saw that knob 8 is already assigned to Reverb. So, how do I achieve this?

Korg Kronos 2 61, Korg PA900, Korg NanoPad 2, Roland BA 330
chris

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I'm not wrong it should be feasible by setting each of these RT knobs as AMS source.
swarupmahapatra

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chris wrote:
If I'm not wrong it should be feasible by setting each of these RT knobs as AMS source.

Thanks Chris.

I am pretty new in the world of Kronos and synthesis. Will you elaborate a bit more please? What's AMS?

SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In Korg workstations, most of the time you don't really tell a knob what to do, rather you find the parameter you want to modify and you tell it to "listen" to that knob. The reason knob 8 controls reverb is because the reverb wet/dry parameter is listening to kmob 8. You can remove this by going to the reverb parameters by the way.
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alternate Modulation Sources are basically additional to existing dedicated modulation routings. There are quite a few AMSs allowing the use of things like controllers, envelopes and LFOs to modulate Program parameters.

One control source (e.g. physical controller, LFO, envelope) can be used to modulate several parameters simultaneously and, on top of that, different AMSs can be arithmetically mixed to create new, more complex, modulation signals.

swarupmahapatra

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SanderXpander wrote:
In Korg workstations, most of the time you don't really tell a knob what to do, rather you find the parameter you want to modify and you tell it to "listen" to that knob. The reason knob 8 controls reverb is because the reverb wet/dry parameter is listening to kmob 8. You can remove this by going to the reverb parameters by the way.

Thanks SanderXpander. But I am trying to have knob 8 control both Reverb and Release. Like assign both to the same knob and then when you go to Tone Edit page, it controls the Release and when you go to Effects page, it will control Reverb.

swarupmahapatra

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

voip wrote:
Alternate Modulation Sources are basically additional to existing dedicated modulation routings. There are quite a few AMSs allowing the use of things like controllers, envelopes and LFOs to modulate Program parameters.

One control source (e.g. physical controller, LFO, envelope) can be used to modulate several parameters simultaneously and, on top of that, different AMSs can be arithmetically mixed to create new, more complex, modulation signals.

Thanks voip. I am now trying to figure out how to do that. Since it's all too much for me Very Happy

Bertotti
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like SanderXpander say the parameter listens so multiple parameters could listen to the same control but if I understand you comment correctly you want ti to control one parameter on one page and a different parameter when on a different page. I don't think that is possible. I think it is an all or nothing deal I wonder if the vector joystick could be used as a work around -x -y for one parameter (reverb) and +x+y for the other parameter (release). Just a thought.

Conversely I haven't looked into this thought but is it possible to use a knowband say set one parameter to work below 50% of the knob and the other parameter to work 51% and up? A person much better versed in this then me will set me straight I hope but these are my two thoughts on the matter. Hope it helps a little at least.
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Kronos Parameter Guide has an Appendix that goes into AMS in detail.

Perfect bedtime reading ;-)

X-Trade

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy, you can go to the reverb FX and set up Knob 8 to affect the reverb dry/wet mix, as I think it often default.

Then go into your sound's envelopes and tell it to use Knob 8 to modulate the release time too. The envelopes in the Kronos are complex and very flexible.
Software: NI Komplete 10 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, Ableton Live 9. Apple OSX El Capitan on 15" MacBook Pro
apex
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes this is def possible. Lol. Just assign more than one parameter to the specific control source.

This is shown in the first grand piano (German grand) the last knob controls reverb when you turn to the right and then chorus when you turn to the left. Dead center and both effects are turned off.

YouTube -
https://www.youtube.com/juliusdeberryjr

Facebook -
https://www.facebook.com/majesticstudiosllc

Instagram - https://www.instagram.com/majesticstudios_jld/
amit
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I you want as global control, then yes, however if you want local, then NO,
You cannot have the knob controlling a parameter based on the page you are on, it will affect all the parameters listening to it, regardless of the current page that you are viewing.
In technical terms;
A Knob is a broadcaster that just broadcasts its movement.
It's up to the subscriber/listener i.e [parameter ams sources] to consume/use the values how they want. Directly , for a limited amount or some computations through the ams mixers.
Korg (Kronos 2, PA600,WavestateVolcaFM), Moog Subsequent 37, Waldorf Pulse 2, ,Novation (Peak, Circuit), Roland GR55, Roli Rise 49, Boog Model D Novation Sl 49, Launchpad Pro, Ableton Push 2 + Suite,Yamaha DTX Multi 12, Akai EWI USB, Nano key Studio, Arturia(BeatStep Pro,DrumBrute,Keystep),StryMon(Big Sky,Timeline), Mooer Ocean Machine, Zoom MS-70CDR,MXR Carbon Copy Deluxe, MicroKontrol,KLC, Korg DS-1H, Korg EXP-2,Roland DP-10, Nanopad 2, TEcontrol BBC2, Soundcraft Signatrure 22 MTK, Yamaha MG10XU,UltraG DI,Eris E5 .. List
Bertotti
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amit nice explanation.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: