Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Loading more Exs

View previous topic :: View next topic  
scohof

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 1:07 am    Post subject: Loading more Exs Reply with quote

Can anyone help me squeeze more load capacity (ram) in my Kronos somehow. I just want to load EXs 11, 12, 19, and the Preload. I seem to be about 81mb short. I have to pick one of these not to load and it is a pain. I tried putting a 4G Crucial PC3 Ram expansion in the extra RAM slot on the board but it wouldn't load. I guess the motherboard only handles the 4G. Anyway, any advise would be sincerely appreciated
19naia
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can unload anything on the autoload list to make room for the new load.
The preload is bundled into one file of many EX, so it is hard to pick and chose in preload file from autoload. So you go to Sample Management. Page 766 of Parameter guide.
Sample management lets you unload right down to the single KSC slot for a single program or the KSC for an entire bank or anything inbetween(using multi select).
It will not affect what is stored in disk mode. It only clears it out of RAM/memory. You can always retrieve from disk to re-load again and again.
Sample management is what you want and there you can decide which banks you want to unload to make space. You don't need everything from factory file plus everything else all in one load, do you?

The good thing is that whatever you unload, can be loaded again but of course only as memory space is cleared for it. You shuffle things in and out.
The corresponding PCG bank and slot will notice if KSC/sample pieces are missing and i guess thats where a prompt comes on screen telling you you need the KSC. Then you can select "load required samples".

Your autoload is set up in Global and Global is saved with .PCG files.
So you can do an auto load and sample management set up and save it as a unique PCG and then make another .PCG file with a different auto load setup and sample management that captures the stuff you had to unload in the first .PCG file.
And as far as PCG files go, you can make as many as you want, each with a different auto load set up and different sample management set up. Same goes with program and combi banks and slots arrangements per .PCG file.
Multiple .PCG works for me because it seems easier than shuffling around KSC autoload within one PCG every time. Of course thats based on my not needing all my sound content at one time in one PCG file.

I create PCG files to contain what i need per a single setting, and in my case, the full kronos memory capacity is more than enough for me in one setting. I can change .PCG in another setting, project or gig.
PCG load is so quick, it's possible to shuffle multiple PCG files in one setting without disrupting too much flow, but doing the sample management work to prevent memory overload, has to be sorted out behind the scenes and it can be a chore at the beginning and then go quickly once familiarized.

Either way, you will have to unload something and only you can decide what to unload to make space, and "sample management" gives you access to all of that right down to the individual sample slot.

Page 763 to 767 of the Parameter guide has full details.
19naia
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another thing is there are places where the option for Virtual Memory or RAM is avaialable.
Sampling mode lets you create samples of your own, but you have the option to store them in RAM or Virtual memory. Virtual memory is disk streaming.
RAM is involved in the sound streaming, but not always. I stream wave files direct from disk mode external USB despite having the option to stream them from Internal HD or loading them to RAM.
If you are pressed for RAM where there is no other option, then go in and find where all your Virtual memory options are and be sure they are selected instead of RAM.
User samples, .sng/seqencer audio tracks are examples of places to look for the option of RAM versus Virtual Memory. SGX engine streams from disk/virtual-memory and you can also look into HD-1 for where you see any option between RAM and Virtual memory.

Take account of what is actually using RAM space and select virtual memory or direct to disk wherever possible.
scohof

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you so much. Outstanding recommendations. I will work this and provide feedback. Thanks again.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 6:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Loading more Exs Reply with quote

scohof wrote:
Can anyone help me squeeze more load capacity (ram) in my Kronos somehow. I just want to load EXs 11, 12, 19, and the Preload. I seem to be about 81mb short. I have to pick one of these not to load and it is a pain. I tried putting a 4G Crucial PC3 Ram expansion in the extra RAM slot on the board but it wouldn't load. I guess the motherboard only handles the 4G. Anyway, any advise would be sincerely appreciated

81 MB isn't much

You could consider shrinking down your factory preload. For example, the ambient drums occupy RAM. There are about 800 sounds like that ( going by memory). You could exclude those if you don'y need them.

So you would have a custom Preload or custom PCG that loads your EXs

I don't know what RAM you had prior. you may have wasted $ on the crucial 4 gig RAM. The Kronos 32 bit OS is the restrictor, not the RAM.
These kinds of important details are easily google searchable on the forum
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: