Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

[Monologue] My personal tips and hints file

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Analog Synths (General)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MeneerJansen

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 4:57 pm    Post subject: [Monologue] My personal tips and hints file Reply with quote

I always make a tips and hints file for myself after I've bought something and need a cheat sheet. This is mine for my Monologue:

Code:

_  __               
| |/ /___  _ __ __ _
| ' // _ \| '__/ _` |
| . \ (_) | | | (_| |
|_|\_\___/|_|  \__, |
               |___/
 __  __                   _                       
|  \/  | ___  _ __   ___ | | ___   __ _ _   _  ___
| |\/| |/ _ \| '_ \ / _ \| |/ _ \ / _` | | | |/ _ \
| |  | | (_) | | | | (_) | | (_) | (_| | |_| |  __/
|_|  |_|\___/|_| |_|\___/|_|\___/ \__, |\__,_|\___|
                                  |___/         

CONTENTS

PART 1: GENERAL
A. Introduction
B. Changing things in "Edit mode"

PART 2: THE SEQUENCER
A. Motion sequence edit
B. Rename a program
C. Step mode/step edit
D. Change sequence length

PART 3: THE ENVELOPE GENERATOR

A. 'Type' knob function
B. 'Intensity' knob function

PART 4: THE LFO
A. One shot mode
B. Effect of the waveforms

PART 5: THE SHIFT BUTTON ON INT
A. Envelope generator intensity
B. LFO intensity

PART 6: SOME PATCHES
A. The "Yai" effect
B. Fake 3 oscillator
C. Some classic game sounds

PART 1: GENERAL
A. Introduction
Everything that is clear in the manual is not in this text file. This is a companion to the fine manual. However, some things can be written down a bit more clear and in a short set of steps, which is attempted in this file.
  • A "program" contains settings (a patch) and a sequence.
  • Press 'Write' twice to save a program.

B. Changing things in "Edit mode"
1. Press the button 'Edit mode' a few times to activate one of three modes:
  • Program
  • Sequencer
  • Global

2. A few of the sequencers buttons will light up. Press them to see what they change.
3. Radio buttons at the bottom of the display indicate the amount of parameters that can be changed by pressing this sequencer's button multiple times.
4. Turn the 'Value' knob to change the selected parameter.
5. Press 'Write' to save.

PART 2: THE SEQUENCER
A. Motion sequence edit
1. Make sure some motion of knobs has been recorded.
2. Set switch to 'Motion'.
3. Press and hold down a button from the sequencer.
4. Turn a knob.
5. Press 'Write' twice to save.

B. Rename a program
1. Press 'Edit mode'.
2. Select 'Program edit'.
3. Press sequencer button 9.
4. Change name (button 9 + Value knob).
5. Press 'Write' twice to save.

C. Step mode/step edit
1. Make sure the sequencer is not playing.
2. Press 'REC'. The display will echo: "Step rec", "Step 1" and the current programmed note. Select an other step if needed.
3. The player can press and hold down a note. In case of a mistake an other note can be pressed and held.
4. Upon release of the note the sequencer progresses to the next step.
5. Press the 'Rest' button to intert a blank note.

D. Change sequence length
1. Press 'Edit mode' until "Seq edit" appears in the display.
2. Press button 6 from the sequencer (the second one that lights up).
3. It's the first one that apppears.
4. Turn the 'Value' knob and press 'Write' twice to save.

PART 3: THE ENVELOPE GENERATOR
Refer to the figure on page 4 of the manual for the numbers of the switches and knobs in this part. In this part the switches and knobs under number 9 in the figure will be discussed. They are:
  • Switch 9a: Type
  • Knob 9b: Attack
  • Knob 9c: Decay
  • Knob 9d: Intensity
  • Switch 9e: Target

A. 'Type' knob function
Switch 9a. Probably to keep costs of this device low there is a "non classical" way to manipulate envelopes. One can change the envelope of the volume of a played note (VCA EG), the pith of an oscillator and the cutoff frequency of the filter. A classic full ADSR EG was probably too expensive (note that that might have also been the case w/ the Minimoog since it has no discrete release setting). One can only set rise and fall: attack and decay, or attack and release.

Type 1. A/R:
(attack and release) The attack and decay knobs affect both the the volume (VCA) of the note as well as the intensity of the 'Target' from switch 9e (i.e. pitch or cutoff).

Type 2. A/S/D:
(attack, sustain and decay) Affects both VCA and Target. The sustain is determined by the player and depends on how long a key is pressed. The only difference w/ type 1 is that the note can be sustained by the player.

Type 3. Gate & A/D:
(gate for VCA and A/D for Target) This is a complicated one. The figure on page 19 of the manual explains a lot. The VCA is gated (i.e. the volume of a note is max. on key press and zero after depress). The attack and decay of "target" switch 9 (i.e. the pitch of on of the oscillators or the cutoff frequency of the filter) can be set w/ knobs 9b and c.

B. 'Intensity' knob function
Knob 9d. The INT knob of the envelope generator (EG) has two functions. When the intensity is set to 0 (zero) in the A/D and A/G/D modes the the attack and decay knobs (9b and c) control the rise and fall of the volume of a struck note, but no pitch or cutoff. So if the intensity knob is set to zero then the values of knobs 9b and c do control someting: the VCA.

PART 4: THE LFO
Notice: the LFO is not re-triggered on key press! One notices that if the LFO acts on pitch, the Rate is set low and set to Sawtooth. Then when one presses two notes after each other the 2nd note does not start all over again to get lower but continues "where it left off" on the 1st note. The LFO can not be set to re-trigger via the Edit menu.

A. One shot mode
This is an alternative - or extra - envelope generator. It generates one single oscillation from the LFO. This oscillation can be applied to the pitch, shape from the VCO's or the cutoff from the filter. The triangular wave resembles the A/D Type of the EG.

B. Effect of the waveforms
On the filter cutoff, for instance, a triangular wave LFO makes a note sound like a continuously alternating wah-wah like effect. The sawtooth can generate a fast alternating drone like in Giorgio Moroder's "I feel love". The square wave generates an alarm-horn like sound.

When a triangular wave LFO is applied to the pitch then it produces a vibrato effect.

PART 5: THE SHIFT BUTTON ON INT
There is an almost "hidden feature" of the Monologue if one uses the Shift button on the Intensity knob of the EG and/or LFO. The Shift button makes the INT knobs go into negative (inverted) values instead of positive.

Notice: there seems to be a nasty (firmware?) bug that causes the negative value to suddenly jump to a positive value as if the INT knob was turned a bit without keeping the Shift button pressed.

A. Effect on EG
For the following examples the intensity of the EG is set to approx. -350 (~75%) using the shift button. The attack is set to 0 and the decay to ~50%.

1. Applied to cutoff of the filter:
This converts the filter virtually to a high pass filter (as opposed to the low pass filter it actually is). Example: set the filter completely open. In low pass mode that would mean every frequency is let through which results in a high pitched, unaltered, note. But now the note starts off low (below the set value of the filter!) and "decays" as if the cutoff frequency knob of the filter (knob 8a, page 4) was slowly opened (to the value set by the cutoff knob of the filter).

2. Applied to the pitch of VCO 1 or 2:
The note starts of low and gets higher. If the INT of the EG was set to the regular positive value then it would be the other way around: starting high and getting lower.

B. Effect on LFO
1 . Applied to the pitch of the VCOs
1a. Sawtooth
  • In regular LFO mode this results in a note that gets higher instead of lower.
  • In "1 shot mode": same thing, sounds different from positive mode though.

1b. Triangle
  • In regular LFO mode almost none since a triangle is symmetric.
  • In "1 shot mode" note gets lower and then higher, instead of the other way around.
    1c. Square
  • In regular LFO mode almost none since a square wave is symmetric.
  • In "1 shot mode" starts low, get high all of a sudden in a step.

2 . Applied to the shape of the VCOs
Set shape to ~25% and int. of the LFO to ~50%
2a. Sawtooth
  • In regular LFO mode: the note gets more deformed periodically (instead of less).
  • In "1 shot mode": same thing, but sounds different from "positive" mode of course.

2b. Triangle
  • In regular LFO mode: not much since a triangle is symmetric.
  • In "1 shot mode": should be different, but does not differ that much.

2c. Square
  • In regular LFO mode: not much since a square wave is symmetric.
  • In "1 shot mode": note starts off relatively unaltered and jumps to it de-shaped form that was set w/ the Shape knob.. In positive mode it starts off heavily de-shaped and jumps to its shaped from that was set w/ the Shape knob.

3 . Applied to cutoff of the filter
3a. Sawtooth
  • In regular LFO mode this results in a significantly different sounding effect than in positive mode. Regularly a downward slope sawtooth-like oscillation in high frequency applied to cutoff of a note results a sort of "stutter" because the filter is applied abruptly a few times a second (instead of gradually as w/ a triangle) and then gradually reduced. If the Shift button is used to turn the downward sloped sawtooth into an upwards one it results in a "tape played backwards" effect like on Alice Cooper's "Halo of flies".
  • In "1 shot mode" a note starts of without filter and and gradually applies the filter instead of the other way around.

3b. Triangle
  • In regular LFO mode almost none since a triangle is symmetric.
  • In "1 shot mode" note goes down and then up instead of the other way around. Sort of the same effect that Shift has on EG in "Cutoff mode".

3c. Square
  • In regular LFO mode almost none since a square wave is symmetric.
  • In "1 shot mode" the note starts with the Filter applied to it and suddenly stops filtering instead of the other way around.

C. Summary
The "negative" mode by using the Shift key on EG can virtually turn the Filter into a high-pass one.

The "negative" INT mode of the LFO by using the Shift key has the most differing effect from regular positive mode when it produces a sawtooth wave. Because that one is not symmetric it sounds different in oscillating mode and in one shot mode because it rises then instead of decaying.

PART 6: SOME PATCHES
A. The "Yai" effect
Like in preset No. 35 "Disemvowel".
- LFO: Target = cutoff; INT = max.; Rate = max.; Mode = fast; Wave = trioangular.
- EG: A= 200; D = 200; INT = 95.
- Filter: Cutoff = 50; Resonance = 830.
- VCO 1 = square; VCO 2 = triangular + ring + lowest octave + pitch all the way up.
The trick is to find find a setting, or "sound" that you can still hear w/ the filter almost closed. Then set rate and int. of the LFO to the max. Fiddeling a bit w/ cutoff will perfect the "yai".

B. "Fake 3 oscillator"
This is preset No. 6 (by Yebisu303). A very typical sound that is well known (I can't remember from what song or advertisement, though). I do not yet know how this patch was achieved exactly.
- It uses the self oscillation of the filter as a "third oscillator". So turn resonance 100% up.
- Probably one shot LFO w/ the cutoff as its target.

C. Some classic game sounds
1. Phoenix for the Atari 2600. In the boss level where one shoots at the UFO the sound when you hit the UFO is triangle wave w/ the LFO set to: sawtooth, 1-shot, rate to ~325, int. to ~420.
2. Pac-Man (arcade). The background sound (that gets higher as time progresses to make you nervous) is a triangle wav with the Filter cutoff set to ~700, resonance to ~520. The LFO set to: triangle, slow, rate ~500, int. ~260.

Last edited by MeneerJansen on Thu Mar 28, 2019 11:58 am; edited 3 times in total
supermel74

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just ordered a Monologue. Thanks for sharing.
callimono

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: [Monologue] My personal tips and hints file Reply with quote

MeneerJansen wrote:

This converts the filter virtually to a high pass filter (as opposed to the low pass filter it actually is). Example: set the filter completely open. In low pass mode that would mean every frequency is let through which results in a high pitched, unaltered, note. But now the note starts off low (below the set value of the filter!) and "decays" as if the cutoff frequency knob of the filter (knob 8a, page 4) was slowly opened (to the value set by the cutoff knob of the filter).

I cant get this to work? Is it out in recent firmwares (1.14 here)?

Cheers,
Carsten
MeneerJansen

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 12:07 pm    Post subject: Re: [Monologue] My personal tips and hints file Reply with quote

callimono wrote:
MeneerJansen wrote:

I cant get this to work? Is it out in recent firmwares (1.14 here)?

Cheers,
Carsten

I've been getting some critique about this particular part of my Tips And Hints file, and rightly so. The Korg Monologue does not have a high pass filter and when negative intensity is applied to it, it doesn't really sound like it either.

I'm afraid that I don't exactly nderstand what you mean that you cannot get it to work. One presses Shift and keeps Shift pressed and then turns the Intensity of the Envelope Generator up. Make sure you've set the Target of the EG to "Cutoff". Just listen to the difference between the negative setting and the (standard) positive Intensity setting.

Good luck! Smile
MeneerJansen

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 12:09 pm    Post subject: Re: [Monologue] My personal tips and hints file Reply with quote

Ooops. Double post. Embarassed

Last edited by MeneerJansen on Fri Mar 29, 2019 12:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
callimono

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 2:20 pm    Post subject: Re: [Monologue] My personal tips and hints file Reply with quote

MeneerJansen wrote:

I've been getting some critique about this particular part of my Tips And Hints file, and rightly so. The Korg Monologue does not have a high pass filter and when negative intensity is applied to it, it doesn't really sound like it either.

Good luck! Smile

I can use negative values in all other places where they belong. Just in the Filter Cutoff not. So it is a mistake in your fine document? All other Params also showing "-xx" Values so I guess the Filter cutoff would do that also whan implemented.

Carsten
MeneerJansen

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 1:13 pm    Post subject: Re: [Monologue] My personal tips and hints file Reply with quote

callimono wrote:

I can use negative values in all other places where they belong. Just in the Filter Cutoff not. So it is a mistake in your fine document? All other Params also showing "-xx" Values so I guess the Filter cutoff would do that also whan implemented.

Carsten

Ah, like so. I didn't mean that you must use "shift + Filter Cutuff" but "shift + Intensity". I meant negative envelope generator. If you press shift + Int then the display will show a negative value.

On a side note: I cannot find the firmware updater anymore on Korg's website. The Librarian software is here. Wait a minute. Google says the firmware is here.
thehighesttree
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, Shift+EG Int will let you go into negative values, very useful!

The monologue's sequencing will allow simple drumlines too! I might post more on this later, but basically:

You need to use motion sequencing on the filter+res to make a "snare" (OSC2 =noise) choke into a deep "kick" (resonant bass thump using EG int for shape).

You can only have one "drumhit" per step, but if you go into the edit menu for the sequencer and change the resolution, you can make several bars of sequenced drums!

This isn't the only method for doing this! You can play with tempo-synced LFOs to explore other ways of squeezing out drum hits, but it all focuses on shaping white noise against the 'sine' of a high-res filter with cutoff nearly maxed. It's not so flexible for performance beyond adjusting stuff like Drive and EG int, but if you SLOOOOOW the tempo down to minimum when you're recording your motion, you can shape some surprisingly rich snares!

NOW FEEL THE POWER OF THE MONOLOGUE!
Psyence

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 8:44 pm    Post subject: Re: [Monologue] My personal tips and hints file Reply with quote

MeneerJansen wrote:
callimono wrote:

Carsten

Ah, like so. I didn't mean that you must use "shift + Filter Cutuff" but "shift + Intensity". I meant negative envelope generator. If you press shift + Int then the display will show a negative value.

On a side note: I cannot find the firmware updater anymore on Korg's website. The Librarian software is here. Wait a minute. Google says the firmware is here.

Sounds more like a lowcut than a hp filter.
Still a cool little trick
MeneerJansen

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 11:06 am    Post subject: Re: [Monologue] My personal tips and hints file Reply with quote

Psyence wrote:
MeneerJansen wrote:
callimono wrote:

Carsten

Sounds more like a lowcut than a hp filter.
Still a cool little trick

You're 100% right. I should edit my orig. post someday. Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Analog Synths (General) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: