Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Coming from an M3 to a Kronos. How to setup for live use?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
branlmo

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:27 pm    Post subject: Coming from an M3 to a Kronos. How to setup for live use? Reply with quote

Hey there,

I apologize if this post repeats or duplicates information found on this forum. I couldn't find anything that specifically addresses what I'm hoping to accomplish, so I'm hoping you all can help me optimize the Kronos for my live setup.

I went and bought a Kronos 6 and a Seaboard Rise 49 this past week, and they're due to arrive early next week.

My M3 has served me well but one of my biggest gripes with it was having to place each patch in ascending order in combi mode for live performances. This has been such a pain, because whenever we change setlists, I have have to manually copy and paste each patch to a new position and it gets out of hand very easily, because I typically use up to 50 patches a show.

With the Kronos, I understand that the setlist function is designed to alleviate this issue. My ideal scenario is that I'd be able to create a 'song' or 'setlist' for each of my band's songs with all of the patches in order, and then be able to change the order of the songs each night so that I'm not spending a lot of time reordering patches. Will this be possible?

I will also be using a Roland JD-990 in conjunction with this setup and would ideally like to be able to use both the Kronos and the Seaboard as controllers for it. Will I be able to connect the Seaboard to the Kronos via USB and then retrieve sounds from the JD-990 via assigning different MIDI channels?

I appreciate any help I can get with this, and am happy to provide more information. Thank you!
keego

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The set list function allows you to use Program, Combi or Sequence from any location.

Previous:
Korg:X5D,Wavestation, N364, Trinity,Triton Classic,Triton Studio, Korg M3 61 w/ EXB-Radias
Ensoniq:TS12, SD1, ASR10
Roland:XP10, JD-800, Roland XV88, A90ex
Kurzweil:K2500RS, K2661, PC3
Nord: Electro 3
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are 128 separate setlists, and each setlist has 128 slots, so the Kronos setlists contain 16384 slots in total. The setlist screen can be set to display 4, 8, or 16 slots. The setlists could be set up so that the timbres for each song occupy one screenful. All that would be needed to change from one song to another would be to page to the next 4, 8, or 16 slots. Individual setlists could then be used to store the Program and/or Combi sequence for particular song orders.

The Roli Seaboards are MIDI class compliant so should just work when connected to the Kronos.

michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always use one set list (with max 128 slots) for a gig, which only refer to combis (although it could be just as easy to programs or sequences). But in a combi you can even setup program changes for other synths.

And with PCG Tools I reorder them in a matter of minutes... if the order is completely changed, I first sort them so I can find them back easily, with the numberic 2 and 8 key I move individual set list slots (or a group) up and down.
Also I keep some red-colored Set1, Set2, and Set3 which are just used as gaps and easy to see when a set ends (I use one set list for all sets we play).

(btw, also for roli, PCG Tools has a specific features to change a combi into an MPE combi).

Developer of the free PCG file managing application for most Korg workstations: PCG Tools, see https://www.kronoshaven.com/pcgtools/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
branlmo

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

michelkeijzers wrote:
And with PCG Tools I reorder them in a matter of minutes... if the order is completely changed, I first sort them so I can find them back easily, with the numberic 2 and 8 key I move individual set list slots (or a group) up and down.

Also I keep some red-colored Set1, Set2, and Set3 which are just used as gaps and easy to see when a set ends (I use one set list for all sets we play).

(btw, also for roli, PCG Tools has a specific features to change a combi into an MPE combi).

So if I'm understanding this correctly, PCG Tools is a 3rd party software that enables you to move blocks of patches at a time? Is there a way to do this without being connected to a computer?

In my ideal world, I'd have each song assigned to a setlist, and then just reorder the setlist each time, and use the momentary switch to ascend through all of the patches that way.

Thanks for the heads up about the MPE combis. I still have a lot to learn!
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PCGTools is developed by Michelkeijzers who made that post, so yes, third party. Your Kronos does not be connected to a computer at all although you do need to run the program on the computer. It works by reading and editing a PCG file made on yoir Kronos. You could put this on a USB stick, edit on the computer and bring the USB stick to the gig.
branlmo

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh awesome! I noticed it was him shortly after I replied.

I've done something similar with the M3 Editor software and a USB stick, but good to know that this should work just as easily if editing the way I want on the Kronos isn't as simple as I'd imagined.
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It works on the Kronos, it's not complicated or anything. Just tedious to do copy/pasting for like 60 songs/sounds. Depends on how often and how significantly your setlist changes I guess. Personally I've taken to using an iPad app (Setlist Maker, though there are others too) to control my setlist and send program changes to the Kronos. That lets me adapt the list even in the break room and prevents me ever having to scout for the right sound on stage.
branlmo

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SanderXpander wrote:
It works on the Kronos, it's not complicated or anything. Just tedious to do copy/pasting for like 60 songs/sounds. Depends on how often and how significantly your setlist changes I guess. Personally I've taken to using an iPad app (Setlist Maker, though there are others too) to control my setlist and send program changes to the Kronos. That lets me adapt the list even in the break room and prevents me ever having to scout for the right sound on stage.

That's very interesting! Do you need to connect the iPad to the Kronos in order to do that? Do you use it for program changes mid-performance too?
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah you use USB/lightning adapter and hook up to the square port on the Kronos. The iPad is the "host computer" in that case. You CAN use it to change patches mid-performance but if you really need multiple patches for a single song I tend to put them next to each other in the Kronos setlist and just use Setlist Maker to jump to the initial one.
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

(I see I don't need to answer, thanks Sander).

And yes, SetListMaker also is very good at this ... you can use all programs mixed, so use the best features of all programs.

Developer of the free PCG file managing application for most Korg workstations: PCG Tools, see https://www.kronoshaven.com/pcgtools/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Korgdude123

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think your going to be very happy with your Kronos's set list ability. Good luck!

www.PureRelaxingMusic.com

Take a few minutes out of your busy day and give yourself the "You-Time" you deserve.

and hear the brand new track "A Journey Through C" recorded using only the notes of the C major Chord at

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SSn9dD5L47A
branlmo

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the help, everyone! I'm super excited for this new rig to arrive tomorrow! It's a huuuuge upgrade from the M3 and figuring out the Seaboard is going to be like learning a new instrument!

If you're interested in hearing how I use my gear, you're welcome to check out my band, A Sense of Gravity (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03YacCLkJY4).

Cheers!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: