Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New engines for a Kronos follow up?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bachus
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 6:33 pm    Post subject: New engines for a Kronos follow up? Reply with quote

Seems that Korg has quite some new engines that they can add to a new workstation in the future

- 2 new organ engines (as seen in the grand stage on Namm)
- a wavestation engine (windows / ipad)
- the arp odyssey engine (ipad)
- electribe ( for ipad)
- M1 engine (Windows / ipad
- mono/poly (windows)

And then there is a few gadget engines, that definately would be appreciated in a new workstation...

And what about :
- a MOSS based engine
- some of those brutal filters from the king korg
- the italian grand, as seen on the grand stage..

It seems like Korg recently started to poop out new synth engines, with all the ipad stuff... seems to me that the future is looking bright...

But then, is it more engines that make a workstation better, do you think that adding more engines makes a workstation a better instrument?
fcoulter

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 6:41 pm    Post subject: Re: New engines for a Kronos follow up? Reply with quote

Bachus wrote:
Seems that Korg has quite some new engines that they can add to a new workstation in the future

- electribe ( for ipad)
- mono/poly (windows)

And then there is a few gadget engines, that definately would be appreciated in a new workstation...

And what about :
- a MOSS based engine

It seems like Korg recently started to poop out new synth engines, with all the ipad stuff... seems to me that the future is looking bright...

But then, is it more engines that make a workstation better, do you think that adding more engines makes a workstation a better instrument?

I'd pay money (<$100) for an Odyssey engine in my Kronos. But I'd pay more money for a 2600 engine in my Kronos.

Korg: Kronos2 88
Other: Tyros 5 76, DGX-650, YPT-320, Fretted Clavichord, Upright Piano, DX-7, SY-99, eMu MPS (last three in attic)

RCM Certificates: Advanced Rudiments
Bachus
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 7:29 pm    Post subject: Re: New engines for a Kronos follow up? Reply with quote

fcoulter wrote:
Bachus wrote:

- electribe ( for ipad)
- mono/poly (windows)

And what about :
- a MOSS based engine

I'd pay money (<$100) for an Odyssey engine in my Kronos. But I'd pay more money for a 2600 engine in my Kronos.

This is technically not possible according to Dan at Korg... with the current software structure of the Kronos... so its unlikely we will ever see new engines for the current Kronos...
Derek Cook
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I can't say I believe that. New models were added to the OASYS, and we are talking about a software based architecture.

It's probably more the will to do it and is it worth the return on investment (a point Kevin has made in the past) if few people these days care how their sounds are made?

I guess the business model of selling apps for an iPAD is more lucrative than upgrading a flagship workstation for nought. Wink

Follow kronos.factory development and submit ideas over at the kronos.factory Trello Board

My Echoes Music Website
My Carreg Ddu Music Website
chris

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MOSS was specific to the Triton series.

The analog modeling part of it has been replaced by AL-1 in the Kronos.
No chance that there would be a MOSS upgrade in the Kronos.

I think that if upgrades would be these would rather come from Korg Legacy instruments that are not yet included in the Kronos. For example the Mono/Poly but I'm not sure this will ever happen.
spaceman3
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if it is technically possible to add autotune to KRONOS FX?
Okay, now that you have laughed out loud, autotune does have its uses.
Hip hop, r&b, dance, some pop.
Autotune in KRONOS probably wouldnt sell, because alot of people use a pc or mac for that.
Just throwing ideas out there.
Laughing
fcoulter

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:26 pm    Post subject: Re: New engines for a Kronos follow up? Reply with quote

Bachus wrote:
fcoulter wrote:

This is technically not possible according to Dan at Korg... with the current software structure of the Kronos... so its unlikely we will ever see new engines for the current Kronos...

So OS 4.0 might do it? (Obviously a major software update like that would get a new number. And that might very well justify the money, too.

Heck, how about a Kronos 3 with OS 4.0 which includes a 2600 engine. And for those of us with a Kronos 2 or X or 1, we pay for the upgrade. After all, when the new sounds came out for the 2, people with earlier keyboards could pay and get the upgrade with all the sounds, etc. What was it, about $250? That's reasonable for a 2600 inside the Kronos.

Korg: Kronos2 88
Other: Tyros 5 76, DGX-650, YPT-320, Fretted Clavichord, Upright Piano, DX-7, SY-99, eMu MPS (last three in attic)

RCM Certificates: Advanced Rudiments
Drummond

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pay? I'd love those free in the next kronos update! Specially Vox and Farfisa engines!
Korg Kronos 88 (288gb+3gb), Korg Kronos X 61, Alesis Fusion 6HD (60gb+384mb), Hammond XK1c, Moog Slim Phatty, Behringer Model D, Access Virus B, Oberheim Matrix 1000, Novation X-Station 61, Korg Trinity Pro (with Solo-Tri), Compac Univox II, Casio MT600 and PT82.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't understand how you can make an ' engine ' ( or a Kronos engine) from the ARP 2600.

I don't recall discussion about this.
Bertotti
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

improve FM

Add granular.
Bachus
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GregC wrote:
I don't understand how you can make an ' engine ' ( or a Kronos engine) from the ARP 2600.

They did create a arp odyssey engine for the ipad, so its fully software based and with some programming effort, it should be possible to recompile the engine so it works on a Kronos follow up..and then all they need to do is reprogram the graphical user interfacd..

Maybe i am simplifying things a little, but the code excists, so it should be possible to compile it into kronos linux format..
BillW
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd settle for another overhaul of the CX-3 engine to get the overdrive and Leslie sim up to Ventilator standards.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bachus wrote:
GregC wrote:

They did create a arp odyssey engine for the ipad, so its fully software based and with some programming effort, it should be possible to recompile the engine so it works on a Kronos follow up..and then all they need to do is reprogram the graphical user interfacd..

Maybe i am simplifying things a little, but the code excists, so it should be possible to compile it into kronos linux format..

I am possibly missing something about the 2600.

The Odyssey and 2600 have some major differences. The 2600 is more complex.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chris wrote:
MOSS was specific to the Triton series.

The analog modeling part of it has been replaced by AL-1 in the Kronos.
No chance that there would be a MOSS upgrade in the Kronos.

I think that if upgrades would be these would rather come from Korg Legacy instruments that are not yet included in the Kronos. For example the Mono/Poly but I'm not sure this will ever happen.

yes, the MOSS was replaced. It is completely off the table- I believe one of the developers passed away . there is a legal block.
street

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure what's there to upgrade in the MOSS part.

After all, all the VA part is covered in AL-1, VPM is MOD-7 (what can be better with it?), then we have the EP module and the STR-1 (comb stuff etc).

What's in the MOSS and not in the Kronos? probably the filters are different, as well as violin and brass sound emulations.

I don't think that Korg has any new technology that can improve something on the Kronos.

I'm not sure more "engines" is the important thing, but integration is. I think that a Kronos successor should rethink the entire patch / combi modes and be combi based (like the Montage, for example).

Also ease of use, friendly-ness of the OS, this can all be improved greatly imho.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: