Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

NAMM 2017 Surprise
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wma wrote:
Bachus wrote:
Jan1 wrote:
Roland also is teasing with 'something' that has 88 keys as evidenced by these pictures posted by an alert viewer of Roland's 360 test stream on GS:

Could be a new fantom..

yep, could be a flagship combining hybrid synth w/ stage piano

the rd800 had price drope for some time, and at the left of the keyboards there's a joystick and above it looks as two wheels

and it has 8 knobs & multiple displays , more than two, maybe touch screens

it's a flagship keyboards, workstation

I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that the workstation is dead.
spaceman3
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SanderXpander wrote:
wma wrote:
Bachus wrote:
Jan1 wrote:
Roland also is teasing with 'something' that has 88 keys as evidenced by these pictures posted by an alert viewer of Roland's 360 test stream on GS:

Could be a new fantom..

the rd800 had price drope for some time, and at the left of the keyboards there's a joystick and above it looks as two wheels

It would be amazing if KORG and ROLAND, both had new workstations coming out.
I personaly would be a little sad if workstations died out.
I do not use software for songwriting, it just slows my creativity.
KRONOS workstation has made it easy to lay down my ideas.
wma

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SanderXpander wrote:
wma wrote:
Bachus wrote:
Jan1 wrote:

Could be a new fantom..

I almost be wrong
Kevin Nolan
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope I'm wrong too. But I just can't see the workstation as we know it surviving - people seem not to be looking for a "swiss army knife" solution at the moment, but rather a range of individual (and cheaper) solutions to "roll their own".

So it's my genuine opinion we might not see a radical release like M1, O1W, Trinity, Triton, OASYS and Kronos again.

Nevertheless, as with top end arrangers, there surely is a place for the likes of Kronos to become ever more refined (as Korg seem to be doing) - so there may be many more such releases for the Kronos brand to come into the future. But as for replacing Kronos with a new radical workstation - I for one just can't see it happening.

It would be interesting to know how well Montage is selling; because it replaced what was a very successful brand for Yamaha.
tachyon

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A SV2 with improved Piano Sounds and some synth features, programmable splits and layers would be fantastic
Koekepan
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kevin Nolan wrote:
I hope I'm wrong too. But I just can't see the workstation as we know it surviving - people seem not to be looking for a "swiss army knife" solution at the moment, but rather a range of individual (and cheaper) solutions to "roll their own".

So it's my genuine opinion we might not see a radical release like M1, O1W, Trinity, Triton, OASYS and Kronos again.

Fair enough. What if a company came forward with a modular, buy-the-parts-you-need sort of roll-your-own approach to a workstation?

Let's pretend it runs on OSC or MIDI-HD, because classic MIDI is a bit limiting, but imagine:

A central sequencer/arranger that manages the timeline and sends commands.

A mixer/output that takes its commands from the sequencer/arranger, and combines streams of audio, splitting into a number of output channels, handles effect sends and so on.

An audio interface with the ability to ingest a whole slew of audio with high end pre-amps and DACs. Actually, maybe a range of these ranging from just a few inputs, no pre-amps, through to record-the-opera levels of complexity.

A dedicated effects unit with brutal, unchained, snarling DSP inside that will turn your sound inside out and spit it back out.

A dedicated synthesis unit that provides juicy sounds on command - and again, maybe a range, including analogue and digital synthesis.

A dedicated MIDI interface, that slurps in all sorts of classic MIDI, and can send streams of MIDI out.

A dedicated CV interface that converts internal signals into CV for your own private wall-o-eurorack.

A performance interface, in the form of a 144-key expanded Seaboard with extra squish factor. Or whatever floats your boat.

I'm sure you could imagine more, but my point is: would this constitute a radical new plan for a workstation? Would it count, in your book, as a workstation?

Hell, would you buy it?
Derek Cook
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kevin Nolan wrote:

Nevertheless, as with top end arrangers, there surely is a place for the likes of Kronos to become ever more refined (as Korg seem to be doing) - so there may be many more such releases for the Kronos brand to come into the future. But as for replacing Kronos with a new radical workstation - I for one just can't see it happening.

It would be interesting to know how well Montage is selling; because it replaced what was a very successful brand for Yamaha.

I guess it depends on how you look at things. Smile I was after an all in one synth that could be my top board (on top of an EX5) that could replace a Novation Remote61 controlller, a Nord G2 VA (that I was manly using for leads), an FS1r that I was using for DX style FM on stage, a Motif Rack ES (with PLG150-AN) for "meat and potato sounds", an A4000 sampler for sound effects, and a NI B4II runnng on a laptop. Yamaha failed to deliver a Kronos shaped competitor in time for me wanting to spend my cash and the Kronos ticked all of the boxes in one multi-engine synth that replaced evertthing in that list above (at least in my stage use context.

It is not DAW workstation features in the Kronos that interest me (but accept they mean a lot to others). It is the multiple engines, the Setlist mode, the sample streaming, the smooth sound transition and the overall packaging that I find excellent and where Korg currently have no competition. Smile

Where I need to mix and match (which I will need to do for other projects), I am leaning to towards complementing the Kronos with a master keyboard and a PC and all of my VSTs synths.

Follow kronos.factory development and submit ideas over at the kronos.factory Trello Board

My Echoes Music Website
My Carreg Ddu Music Website
spaceman3
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kevin Nolan wrote:

HHHmmm, you mentioned MONTAGE.
I decree, and forbid you to talk about that subject here! Razz Razz Razz Laughing
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Koekepan wrote:
Kevin Nolan wrote:

Fair enough. What if a company came forward with a modular, buy-the-parts-you-need sort of roll-your-own approach to a workstation?

Let's pretend it runs on OSC or MIDI-HD, because classic MIDI is a bit limiting, but imagine:

A central sequencer/arranger that manages the timeline and sends commands.

A mixer/output that takes its commands from the sequencer/arranger, and combines streams of audio, splitting into a number of output channels, handles effect sends and so on.

An audio interface with the ability to ingest a whole slew of audio with high end pre-amps and DACs. Actually, maybe a range of these ranging from just a few inputs, no pre-amps, through to record-the-opera levels of complexity.

A dedicated effects unit with brutal, unchained, snarling DSP inside that will turn your sound inside out and spit it back out.

A dedicated synthesis unit that provides juicy sounds on command - and again, maybe a range, including analogue and digital synthesis.

A dedicated MIDI interface, that slurps in all sorts of classic MIDI, and can send streams of MIDI out.

A dedicated CV interface that converts internal signals into CV for your own private wall-o-eurorack.

A performance interface, in the form of a 144-key expanded Seaboard with extra squish factor. Or whatever floats your boat.

I'm sure you could imagine more, but my point is: would this constitute a radical new plan for a workstation? Would it count, in your book, as a workstation?

Hell, would you buy it?

you need to find a software developer that will write the OS for it.

Thats the first big puzzle piece to solve.
chini

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:30 pm    Post subject: Kronos replacement 2017 ? Reply with quote

SanderXpander wrote:
I haven't cared much about the sequencer part of workstations for a while but am continuously reminded by those who frequent the Kronos forum that it's a big deal...

Hi Sander!

The "big deal" about the sequencer is that its real advantage comes to life when one uses it to replace a whole sequence of combi patches one might have originally used through the various sections of a song live on stage. Instead of switching your entire rigs patches with each combi change in the setlist you can automate patch changes in the sequencer tracks of a Kronos "song". Furthermore it enables you to run the drum track for 999 bars instead of the limiting 99 in a combi. Indeed you can also render the drum track to a sample or record it to one of the 16 audio tracks freeing up yet another timbre track if you wish! The possibilities are vast if you use the Kronos sequencer as a patch rather than viewing it simply as a separate studio recording tool. As soon as I started using the K sequencer in this way I realised why they call each one a "Song"!

ON TOPIC:… leading on from my explanation above about how the Kronos has enticed me and no doubt many others to use the sequencer as a "Song" patch rather than a separate sequencer/recording device, I too believe Korg might well be about to introduce some concepts of using the workstation keyboard pushing it way beyond our current perception of it.

I don't think this would arrive simply on the back of a few new controller hardware concepts they might have incorporated into the new design (a la Roland D-Beam etc)... I actually think Korg might be about to launch something much more sophisticated and intriguing harnessing some new innovative software design concepts that may well change the way we use a keyboard workstation. My guess is that some of these new concepts may infiltrate down into the K in the form of another OS update but of course if it is a brand new era of keyboard design this parallel K update will be limited to its own hardware, thus enticing new customers to plumb for the new top dog with the fully fledged leap into the "future" of the workstation keyboard they are hinting at!… just a guess!

Integrated mac/PC OS… As others have mentioned here I too think that negating the use of a laptop, at least live on stage, may well be part of this new concept in workstation design. I would welcome that with glee! I hate having to use my laptop/Ableton Live to rout midi and harness extra virtual synths. How freeing it would be if one had a Mac/PC OS system right in the keyboard itself!!! One less thing to carry on stage!

Whatever they launch in a few days time I say "chapeau!" to Korg anyway!
The Oasis/Kronos were a gift to the creative mind and I look forward to seeing what they reveal!

Always be true to yourself

Last edited by chini on Wed Jan 18, 2017 12:23 am; edited 3 times in total
Koekepan
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GregC wrote:

Well. Sure. Obviously. But if a company the size of Yamaha or even freaking Casio decided that this was their plan, they could hire developers to do it.

But would it constitute a workstation?

A radically new workstation?

Would you buy such a thing?
Kevin Nolan
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spaceman3 wrote:
Kevin Nolan wrote:

HHHmmm, you mentioned MONTAGE.
I decree, and forbid you to talk about that subject here! Razz Razz Razz Laughing

Got me there Smile

Sincere and humble apologies for being "greater than thou" a few posts back!! Montage - let rip - there's nothing like a good debate pre-NAMM !!

Back on topic - you know what - it's REALLY quiet on the NAMM rumour s front! Anyone else notice that. Usually there's _something_. This year - nothing! Perhaps winter NAMM is starting to go the way of summer NAMM in terms of relevance for new announcements ???
spaceman3
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its cool Kevin,
My response wasnt exactly diplomatic either.
Laughing
I apologize for that.
Smile Cool
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Koekepan wrote:
GregC wrote:

Well. Sure. Obviously. But if a company the size of Yamaha or even freaking Casio decided that this was their plan, they could hire developers to do it.

But would it constitute a workstation?

A radically new workstation?

Would you buy such a thing?

you are assuming if the company is ' big' they will find the software
development resources.

Big has little to do with this part of the puzzle.

I am not the type to start with " whats in it for me ".
or to make a list of what I want. These cos have no shortage
of ideas on new products.

These cos all have a rigorous process to follow for any new product concept.

Keep in mind, if these manufacturers see an obvious need, and if they have the resources, and can see the ROI/Sales they are going to find a way to make that
particular new product/platform.

But if the new product is esoteric, a limited audience, to expensive to produce, it won't happen.

They have plenty of data and understand whats ' possible '.
Koekepan
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GregC wrote:
But if the new product is esoteric, a limited audience, to expensive to produce, it won't happen.

I think that you mistake my reason for raising the question. It was more in the nature of a hypothetical question, directed at Kevin Nolan's statements about whether or not radical new workstations might be forthcoming.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Latest News All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 7 of 11

Jump to: