Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Has anyone sucessfully installed a SATA3 drive in a Kronos1?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
timg11

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2016 5:26 pm    Post subject: Has anyone sucessfully installed a SATA3 drive in a Kronos1? Reply with quote

This thread gives a history of Kronos drive upgrades over a period of several years.

Early on with the K1, some people reported issues with SATA3 drives. Later with the K2, some people reported success with SATA3 drives.

Now, years later, SATA2 is not available. There is no clear report on the ability of the K1 (Intel 510DMO motherboard) to support SATA3 drives.
Intel's site says the SATA ports support 3.0 Gbps, which is SATA2

SATA3 drives are supposed to be backward compatible, but perhaps there are certain combinations of drives and motherboards that don't work?

Has anyone succeed with SATA3 in a K1? If so, please post the drive model.
BobTheDog
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2016 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SATA III is backwards compatible when connected to a SATA II bus but will run at the slower SATA II speed.

So no problem at all.
Windsofsoul

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2016 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I second what BobtheDog says - No problema
slowtrain

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I installed a Samsung 850 EVO - 120GB - 2.5-Inch SATA III drive in my Kronos X. I'm using it as my primary drive with no problems. I had a friend who's competent in Linux clone my OEM drive to this one. I reformatted the OEM drive to use as my second drive
vonnor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

slowtrain wrote:
I installed a Samsung 850 EVO - 120GB - 2.5-Inch SATA III drive in my Kronos X. I'm using it as my primary drive with no problems. I had a friend who's competent in Linux clone my OEM drive to this one. I reformatted the OEM drive to use as my second drive

I installed the same SSD in my Kronos2 the day after it arrived. Works like a charm.
timg11

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finally got around to the drive upgrade.

I took out the stock 30G drive from my K1. I used Terabyte Drive Image to image the drive (from a Linux environment).

I restored the image to a 64G SSD (Crucial )

The layout of partitions is identical:
/boot 16Mib Linux
/ 220 Mib Linux
MBR2 502 Mib Linux Swap
MBR3 Extended
/korg/ro 526 Mib Linux
/korg/rw 27361 Mib Linux.

There was free space at the end on the new drive, so I expanded /korg/rw to 59789 Mib on the new drive so the extra space would be usable.

Unfortunately the new drive will not boot. It gives "System Startup Failed".

What did I miss?
andym63

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
Look at the following
http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=115724
Especialy the last posts.
I have never used Terabyte image suite so i cant be sure but it sounds like the MBR (Master boot record)sector on your image isnt working or has not been recreated ,your kronos needs this in order to start.
Try using Ghost for linux or a hardware disc cloner to clone the original drive onto the larger target drive .and then Gparted ore similar software to expand the partition on the target drive.
Note that the clone will only be as big as the source after you transfer it onto a larger drive so you must expand the partition in order to acess the space on the larger target drive.
Andy
timg11

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy, thanks for the reply. I didn't find anything that helps in the link.

I'm familiar with cloning disks, but mostly with Windows and less with Linux.

I tried re-writing the standard MBR code just in case, but it didn't make any difference.

I also tried installing the 64G Crucial drive as a secondary drive, keeping the original Toshiba 30G drive. I connected a new SATA cable to the second SATA port on the motherboard and to the Crucial drive.

It that configuration, the Kronos also fails to boot.
I wiped all the partitions off the Crucial 2nd drive in case that was confusing the Kronos, but it still fails to boot.

I'm not sure what to try next. Maybe a different SSD? This is a Kronos 1 with the Intel 510MO motherboard. Maybe its SATA ports are different and in some way incompatible with Crucial SSD?

I guess I'll buy a Samsung 850 EVO - 120GB that was mentioned previously and give that a try.

Original Drive

Imaged new drive

matro

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@timg11
The System V2 DVD could not install the 240GB WD Green SATA3 SSD, it tried, but did not finish.
I ended up using "dd" to clone the Original disk, then I expanded the expanded partition using "gparted".
Like this: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Dd#Disk_cloning_and_restore

Booted right off.
matro

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding cloning linux, the size of the partition are not key, it is the actual sector.
timg11

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

matro wrote:
Regarding cloning linux, the size of the partition are not key, it is the actual sector.

@matro, thanks for the tip. I'm not sure I understand though. If I take the cloned drive and then expand the partitions (first MBR3, then /korg/rw) with gparted, is that not sufficient? Is there some other step of editing sectors somewhere?
timg11

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried a Samsung 850 Pro SSD, 250 GB size.

I cloned the original drive and did not resize the partitions (just to see if the boot issue was due to the resizing process). It should be a bit for bit image of the original.

Still, the Kronos will not boot with this drive.

I wish I could connect a monitor, but in the K1-73, the VGA jack is right against the end plate and it is impossible to plug anything in.

I've spent two days on this now. I guess I'll close up the Kronos and learn to live with 30G. I hope the drive lasts.
matro

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

timg11 wrote:
matro wrote:

@matro, thanks for the tip. I'm not sure I understand though. If I take the cloned drive and then expand the partitions (first MBR3, then /korg/rw) with gparted, is that not sufficient? Is there some other step of editing sectors somewhere?

What I did, look at the link I included above, was to copy the ENTIRE drive, not partition per partition. That means that the MBR is intact and actually pointing to the right track.
This is how my 30GB looks like (tool cfdisk on command line):
Code:
                                                      Disk: /dev/sdf
                                   Size: 28 GiB, 30016659456 bytes, 58626288 sectors
                                           Label: dos, identifier: 0x0a22e495

Device            Boot               Start           End       Sectors        Size      Id Type
    /dev/sdf1         *                      4         32129         32126       15.7M      83 Linux
    /dev/sdf2                            32130        481949        449820      219.7M      83 Linux
    /dev/sdf3                           481950       1510109       1028160        502M      82 Linux swap / Solaris
    /dev/sdf4                          1510110      58621184      57111075       27.2G       5 Extended
    ├─/dev/sdf5                        1510173       2586464       1076292      525.5M      83 Linux
    └─/dev/sdf6                        2586528      58621184      56034657       26.7G      83 Linux

As you can see, the first partition is not 16MB, etc etc. It is about the sectors.
It happens to be called /dev/sdf in this particular computer, but:
/dev/sdf1 = /boot, filesystem ext2
/dev/sdf2 = /, filesystem ext2
/dev/sdf3 = swap
/dev/sdf4 = the extension
/dev/sdf5 = /korg/ro, filesystem ext2
/dev/sdf6 = /korg/rw, filesystem ext3 - this is the one you expand + sdf4

I also realized that the filesystems UUID might play a role too, hence the sector by sector copy. If don't get this 100% right you need to RECREATE the MBR, copying it will not do.

Good luck!
matro

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

timg11 wrote:
matro wrote:

What I did, look at the link I included above, was to copy the ENTIRE drive, not partition per partition. That means that the MBR is intact and actually pointing to the right track.
This is how my 30GB looks like (tool cfdisk on command line):
Code:
                                                      Disk: /dev/sdf
                                   Size: 28 GiB, 30016659456 bytes, 58626288 sectors
                                           Label: dos, identifier: 0x0a22e495

Device            Boot               Start           End       Sectors        Size      Id Type
    /dev/sdf1         *                      4         32129         32126       15.7M      83 Linux
    /dev/sdf2                            32130        481949        449820      219.7M      83 Linux
    /dev/sdf3                           481950       1510109       1028160        502M      82 Linux swap / Solaris
    /dev/sdf4                          1510110      58621184      57111075       27.2G       5 Extended
    ├─/dev/sdf5                        1510173       2586464       1076292      525.5M      83 Linux
    └─/dev/sdf6                        2586528      58621184      56034657       26.7G      83 Linux

As you can see, the first partition is not 16MB, etc etc. It is about the sectors.
It happens to be called /dev/sdf in this particular computer, but:
/dev/sdf1 = /boot, filesystem ext2
/dev/sdf2 = /, filesystem ext2
/dev/sdf3 = swap
/dev/sdf4 = the extension
/dev/sdf5 = /korg/ro, filesystem ext2
/dev/sdf6 = /korg/rw, filesystem ext3 - this is the one you expand + sdf4

I also realized that the filesystems UUID might play a role too, hence the sector by sector copy. If don't get this 100% right you need to RECREATE the MBR, copying it will not do.

Good luck!
andym63

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Timg11

Are you shure that it is not the software you are using to clone the drive that is causing the problem?
initialy i ran in toproblems when cloning my Kronos Drive i tried acronis first the clone looked ok but as with yours it wouldnt boot.Ghost for linux on the unetbootin distro was the software that worked first for me.
After that i baught bought a cheap startech hardware cloner and that made life a bit easier.
I run a couple of Muse Reasearch Receptors that Have linux based OS also so i have to make regular backups.I find that The Unetbootin distro or the Hardware cloner work very well with Them and my Kronos.
My kronos is a 2015 so it does not have the same hardware as yours.
But it might be worth a try using other software as you seem to have run into a brick wall.
kind Regards Andy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: