Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pads and chords

View previous topic :: View next topic  
IAA

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 8:36 pm    Post subject: Pads and chords Reply with quote

Hi,

Having assigned chords to pads, can I latch them on until I press another?

Thanks

Ian
BasariStudios
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do you mean by Latching them on...to what, you mean the Sound itself or something else?
IAA

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm wanting to touch the pad, let it sound and hold the chord, Whikst I use both my hands to play the lead, I need to use joystick to modulate the lead sound which the chords accompany.
ronnfigg
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can the damper pedal do this?
simur

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends on what you want to accomplish... if you play a solo instrument with the right hand, maybe the damper pedal is enough, but if you want to play other instruments with damper pedal, you cannot do it.
AdDeRoo
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a thought on this, as I have the same wish

Maybe a trick is to modify the program you use to play chords and activate the Hold option to sustain notes (e.g. page 39 of the paramater guide, for HD1)

The issue is you need to sort out when the next chord is played, the first notes should stop. Maybe there you need to play around with the 'voice assign mode'' (also in Program mode HD1 1-1 Basic), with the number of notes

Will try myself as well

Current gear : Korg Kronos 88 (SN 0979) / Nektar LX88+ / Korg PA2X / Kurzweil K2500R / Korg Nanopad2 / Neo Ventilator / Akai EWI USB / Cantabile / Reaper / Cakewalk / Reason / way too many VST's
QuiRobinez
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IAA wrote:
I'm wanting to touch the pad, let it sound and hold the chord, Whikst I use both my hands to play the lead, I need to use joystick to modulate the lead sound which the chords accompany.

yes, this is possible by using KARMA. It's very easy to do once you know the trick. This way you can create combis where the chord of a pad is sustained till you play another chord.

This is how to do it in program mode:

01. Select Program -E-002 Tranquil Pad
02. Press the KARMA tab
03. Press the KARMA GE subtab
04. Press the GE Category Select button and choose the Realtime Tab category
05. Select the RT Real-Time Bend GE and press ok
06. Press the Trigger Subbutton
07. Turn Off "Quantize Triggers" (now chords will change instantly during your play)
08. Turn on KARMA and the Karma Sustain button
09. Play a chord, you will hear the bending and some CC modifications so let's turn that off
10. Press the Main tab and then the Control Subtab
11. Select the KARMA Tab on the Screen and turn off Switch 1 Bend on/off. This removes the bending at the start
12. Turn off Switch 7 FX/Ctrl Env On/Off. Now all CC information is removed and only the notes are sustained
13. Now Play a Chord, the chord will sustain untill you play an other chord.

This is the way to setup KARMA for Auto sustain chords. When you create a Combi just pick one of the 4 KARMA modules and program it like you did just now in program mode. Assign that module to a keyzone or to the Chord pads and your done. This techique also works great for creating ambient soundscapes and combis.

So it looks like a lot of steps but this is because i described every button you have to press. But basicly the procedure is to select the RT Realtime bend and disable the bend and CC information (of filter it out in the KARMA filter). So once you know how to do it it's done within a few seconds.

Last edited by QuiRobinez on Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:48 am; edited 1 time in total
BasariStudios
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As Qui explained is the only way i think its reasonable enough, i tried doing
with pedal e tc but nothing works better then this...but it takes on Module.
AdDeRoo
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Qui, very useful advice. Will try as well

Current gear : Korg Kronos 88 (SN 0979) / Nektar LX88+ / Korg PA2X / Kurzweil K2500R / Korg Nanopad2 / Neo Ventilator / Akai EWI USB / Cantabile / Reaper / Cakewalk / Reason / way too many VST's
uhura

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

QuiRobinez wrote:

yes, this is possible by using KARMA. It's very easy to do once you know the trick. This way you can create combis where the chord of a pad is sustained till you play another chord.
02. Press the KARMA tab
07. Turn Off "Quantize Triggers" (now chords will change instantly during your play)
09. Play a chord, you will hear the bending and some CC modifications so let's turn that off
11. Select the KARMA Tab on the Screen and turn off Switch 1 Bend on/off. This removes the bending at the start
12. Turn off Switch 7 FX/Ctrl Env On/Off. Now all CC information is removed and only the notes are sustained

Works great, but i have to press the individual notes of a chord very accurate together in time. Is it possible to sustain a slightly arpeggiated chord too? There must be a kind of "coherence time window" parameter to decide, whether a number of played notes belong together or not, but it seems not to be tweakable.
Rodan

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a noob question... I have the korg nano pad, and I can't hold the chords asigned to the pad with the damper pedal, the damper just works with the sounds playing on the keyboard (midi 1)... It's something that i have to change to do this?
jeremykeys
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've done it but I don't really remember how i did it but I think it's pretty easy.
If I remember correctly you can assign the pad to a different midi channel sot hat the sound you use is totally different complete with effects. I think I had miner set to midi channel 2. you then use single triggering but I'm sorry once again. I'm going to have to look at how I did this.
There was a thread a long time ago about how to do this and I do know that it had something to do with Jordan Rudess and Octavarium.
Gear: Kronos 73, Triton Pro-X, Wavestation EX, Polysix, King Korg, Monotron and Monotron Duo, Minikorg, Moog Grandmother, 1 Roland U-20, Hammond M3, 4 acoustic and 6 electric guitars, 1 Ibanez 5 string bass, a bunch of microphones and other very cool toys, 1 wife and 3 cats!
Melomaniak

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

QuiRobinez wrote:
IAA wrote:

02. Press the KARMA tab

This is the way to setup KARMA for Auto sustain chords. When you create a Combi just pick one of the 4 KARMA modules and program it like you did just now in program mode. Assign that module to a keyzone or to the Chord pads and your done. This techique also works great for creating ambient soundscapes and combis.

So it looks like a lot of steps but this is because i described every button you have to press. But basicly the procedure is to select the RT Realtime bend and disable the bend and CC information (of filter it out in the KARMA filter). So once you know how to do it it's done within a few seconds.

Good hint, but horror!! This doesn't work with the new OS 3.1.0. any more.
It just hold the notes if you transpose the Karma-Modul on Control Tab.
But if the transpose = 0, it doesn't hold!

Please can someone else try this? Thank You! (And I hope this new bug will be fixed soon)

Thank you Korg for the new OS3.1.0, but this new bug is very disruptive to me.
Melomaniak

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Melomaniak wrote:
QuiRobinez wrote:
IAA wrote:

02. Press the KARMA tab

Good hint, but horror!! This doesn't work with the new OS 3.1.0. any more.
It just hold the notes if you transpose the Karma-Modul on Control Tab.
But if the transpose = 0, it doesn't hold!

Please can someone else try this? Thank You! (And I hope this new bug will be fixed soon)

Thank you Korg for the new OS3.1.0, but this new bug is very disruptive to me.

It's a BUG! Read this:
http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=107855
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: