Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pa4x 61 vs i3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vim

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 1:48 pm    Post subject: Pa4x 61 vs i3 Reply with quote

Many years ago I bought an i3 '94 in fact. I sold it in 2004. I'm once again looking for an arranger and thought I'd check the pa4x out.
A lot of the features I liked in the i3 no longer exist.

Individual mutes for each accompanying track instead of the groups
Drum map (vital) buttons
The ability to change styles from within an arrangement
Bass inversion and chord hold buttons
The bseq sequencer was more powerful then its current version as u could even change arrangements and styles after the fact and even change individual components to great effect.

I've written many songs using just the i3 so that it sounds like a recordable demo.

Korg ... what have you done. Some of these features like drum map was 'lost ' in the i30 which was a bueatiful beast.

Now I'm going to have to wait until these live and recording features come back ...
ex Marshall Islands
siebenhirter
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 3:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Pa4x 61 vs i3 Reply with quote

Vim wrote:
.. A lot of the features I liked in the i3 no longer exist.
.. Now I'm going to have to wait until these live and recording features come back ...

May be, one waits for nothing - reading thread "Pa4X developers fatal mistake!" ...korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=103884 will answer the question, why purpose of constructive criticism to improve the outcome does not have any effect in this forum.

Someone think it is simple to make ones best judgment about ones needs, you pay some penny and you take a choice without a need to stomach ache after the fact.

I think consequently someone else has no motivation to acquire a successor model if Korg do not add back important features continuously were omitted.

Interesting facts about styles and stylePlayer functions can be found at http: www.elmarherz.de
karmathanever
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Vim
The only thing I really miss from my i3 is the Backing Sequencer - everything else (and lots more) is there in the PA1X-4X.
I still use some of the great i3 styles on my PA4X.
I recorded a lot of music on my i3 and i30 but the PA3X/4X leaves them well behind in terms of sounds, styles and features.

There is now a much more intuitive and logical OS let alone outstanding styles and sounds plus heaps more features.
The PA-series was always great for performing and recording and is now even better with a much improved control surface, touch screen and new features.
    You can change styles
    Bass inversion is there
    Drum mapping is there
    You can mute individual tracks

You may do these things differently than the i3 - things have changed in 22 years.

Agree about the BSQ although there is a BSQ but not as detailed as the i3 however, I highly recommend you go try a PA3X or 4X first for a couple of hours at least.

Quote:
Now I'm going to have to wait until these live and recording features come back ...

....hmmm that will be a very long time and perhaps forever..... Wink

Some can't handle the various model changes and that's fair enough and personal, so I guess one goes off and buys what suits them the best.
Everything that is in the PA4X 1074-page manual is there!!!

Cheers

Pete Very Happy
...and play lots of music Very Happy
------------------------------------------------------------------
Vim

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 11:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Pa4x 61 vs i3 Reply with quote

siebenhirter wrote:

Someone think it is simple to make ones best judgment about ones needs, you pay some penny and you take a choice without a need to stomach ache after the fact.

I think consequently someone else has no motivation to acquire a successor model if Korg do not add back important features continuously were omitted.

Hi Siebenhirter,

it's abit difficult to understand what you are saying due to your sentence structure but i sort of get the gist of what you are saying.

Personally, when i write new songs, I like to work out chord arrangements and backing sequences and record them live. Then i like to use the BSEQ to 'change' things I've recorded to see what it can sound like and make the changes and insert events that i feel would better serve the song.

I like the BSEQ from the i3. Very much. It is a powerful tool for song writers who create demos that they can then sell to singers / bands / producers / TV / Film etc.

From what I've seen so far on the forums and the manuals that i have access to, the BSEQ on the Pa series is not that great. Consequently, i'm a bit worried about buying the Pa4X if it does not meet my needs.

Perhaps i'll have to wait for a future OS release before it becomes a viable tool for me.

Thanks
Vim
ex Marshall Islands
Vim

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Pete,

how do you get drum mapping to work in real time in the Pa4X ... with the i3 you could just hit one of the 8 buttons and it would do it for you in arrangement mode - it seems abit more convoluted in the Pa4X - and can you edit these or insert these in BSEQ mode after the fact (after recording a BSEQ that is)?

in the i3 you could actually edit not only the chord and the inversion but also the chord variation that you wanted for each style element ... can you still do this in BSEQ edit mode?

Thanks for any pointers you can give.

kind regards
ex Marshall Islands
karmathanever
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Vim

Am sending you a PM

Pete Very Happy
...and play lots of music Very Happy
------------------------------------------------------------------
tombikadam

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

by all means you can't compare 4X with an 20 year old i3
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Pa4X All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: