Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Recapping 01/W:Power supply cap & LCD upgrade(update #3)
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Synths (General)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
the_crimson_thunder

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John01W wrote:
Looks great man! Glad it got sorted.
Thanks mate Very Happy
Quote:
Gotta give these classics some love!
Absolutely!
Quote:
I'll never part with mine, love it very very much
Think I have my M1 (key version) since more than 20 years... Wink and still sounding good to me.

BTW: the M1 is also upp'd with an Korg EX expansion kit as is my M1REX Mr. Green
John01W
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice. 01/Wfd was my first synth...though I did learn on an M1. At one time I had 3 01/Ws lol(My 01/WFD and 2 x 01R/Ws). My synth rig back then was the 3 01/Ws a Trinity and a maxed Triton Studio. Still have every pcm card set there is for the 01/Ws and the memory expansion. There's something to be said about the early digitals IMO...they have a warmth and character that has it's place in a modern setup.

I'll definitely be getting my 01R/W back again and get this new screen for it.

I think they deserve their own external FX unit personally. I have a rack of nice processors(Eventide, Lexicon, Roland) but they belong to my guitar rack lol. The Korgs sound nice through that rack for sure though.

I definitely am loving the idea of getting the Kronos, but to be honest I think I'm going all analog for my next purchases(except the 01R of course;).
John01W
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Power Supply Board Recap finished...nice Nichicon caps. The size of the snap in and upgraded to 105 degree caps(upped some of the voltage capacity too) fit perfectly. Maybe it's just me...but 01/W seems to sound a little better...more firm lows and clearer highs...better stereo image. Thank you God everything went ok lol. Next step, recap usual suspect caps on main board....Bought a complete set of caps for the whole synth. Hopefully this will ensure the 01/Wfd will be healthy for many more years to come.

Old Caps:

New Caps!:

the_crimson_thunder

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You've done a good job! Glad you got it made. Very Happy

John01W wrote:
Maybe it's just me...but 01/W seems to sound a little better...more firm lows and clearer highs...better stereo image.

Yes, it's often said that the sound can profit from a clean and stable power supply - not only on a synth... Cool
John01W
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the_crimson_thunder wrote:
You've done a good job! Glad you got it made. Very Happy

John01W wrote:
Maybe it's just me...but 01/W seems to sound a little better...more firm lows and clearer highs...better stereo image.

Yes, it's often said that the sound can profit from a clean and stable power supply - not only on a synth... Cool

Thanks man! Didn't need to use my desoldering station just for the PS board but will definitely use it for the through hole ones on the main board.... will definitely come in handy. Good old soldapult works good for that stuff.

That's an Atari Tempest Arcade vector monitor that I overhauled to the left. Complete rebuild.
yoshi88

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2021 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very informative thread!

Thank you for this. Boot up issue may likely be the caps on the O1w PSU. I will check with ESR meter.
Triton PRO X 88
Trinity V3 61
O1WFD 61
T3 61
M1 61
03R
Mellontikos

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2022 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Subbing to this. I need to do this to my 01/Wpro
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Synths (General) All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: