Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New User coming from Yamaha motif and PSR. Some questions

View previous topic :: View next topic  
harshalnaidu

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 4:22 am    Post subject: New User coming from Yamaha motif and PSR. Some questions Reply with quote

Hello All,

Just got my PA4x and this is my first post. Can anyone help me with these questions?

1. How does one play style while muting parts of the style. For example muting the drum part?

2. Can PA4x load another Piano sound? I love the sounds PA4x but I just can't get myself to like the piano that sounds too thin compared to my PSR 910 and Motif XF8.

3. Any good video tutorials to learn how to edit sounds?

4. For those who know PSR/Tyros, what's the equivalent of multi pads?

Thanks!
guitpic

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re: #4.

The PA 4X does have multipads.

Check users manual. I downloaded it to my iPad.

Also the Korg website does have a video manual, also on YouTubethat I found helpful when I made the transition from a Tyros.

Enjoy. You've got a great keyboard but the different operating style does take some getting used to.

Rog L
JBL Eon One
Space Station V.3
DXR10
Deane

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While in Style play mode press the track button. It takes you to the tracks from which the various parts are played. Here you can mute or adjust volume of the individual parts of the style.

Deane
harshalnaidu

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks so much. Figured out 1, 3 and 4.

Any thoughts on piano sounds? Any alternatives available?
kbrkr
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are a bunch of Pianos in the FActory and legacy tabs. You can layer 3 Pianos to create fat sound. You can also load in Korg Multisamples of Pianos once you get more comfortable with how the Pa4x manages custom sounds. Of course you can edit the onboard samples to your liking and save them to a user slot.

You have lots of options.
Mystic38

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: New User coming from Yamaha motif and PSR. Some question Reply with quote

Its unclear which piano of the XF8 you have that you prefer..?

I have the S70XS and while i do not care for the C6 at all, the Full Concert Grand is a very nice all around piano for me.

So, before you give up on the PA4x stock pianos, remember that you can add an EQ into the FX chain.. this may adapt one of the stock pianos more to your liking..

harshalnaidu wrote:
Hello All,

2. Can PA4x load another Piano sound? I love the sounds PA4x but I just can't get myself to like the piano that sounds too thin compared to my PSR 910 and Motif XF8.

Thanks!

Korg PA4X, Nord Stage 3, Virus Ti Polar, Novation Nova II, Yamaha S70XS, MPC-X, TC Helicon Voicelive Rack, KRK VXT8 monitors, 2012 LP Standard, 1999 Am. hardtail Strat, Fender DRRI, Orange AD30HTC, Marshall Vintage Modern, 2 cans and a piece of string...
harshalnaidu

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was referring to the Full Concert Grand in the Motif which is amazing.

Has anybody shared modified piano sounds for PA4x? I haven't gotten around to working on the piano sound yet.

Some other thoughts compared to my PSR-s900

It's weird, I find myself playing the Motif and my much older PSR 900 much more (for comparison) and keep thinking that the piano sounds and feel is so much better.

Now of course I realize that a lot of this has to to with my habit/ability and perhaps bias. But as a home user, I'm constantly wondering if the spend/upgrade was justifiable. Certainly not giving up on PA4x piano until have tried modifying the sound.

There was a huge set of styles that I had for my PSR900 that folks shared and that was fun to play around with.

I noticed that all instruments are not accessible from all modes. For example some pads are not found in the style mode but are in the voice mode. I need to explore that more.

It's a great instrument no doubt, but I'm still working on my relationship with this one!

In case you are wondering why I'm spitting hairs, I was to sell the Motif(too much for my needs) & PSR and ultimately have nice weighted keys controller for just piano + PA4x arranger.

Last edited by harshalnaidu on Wed Oct 19, 2016 3:19 am; edited 2 times in total
rikkisbears
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

harshalnaidu wrote:

There was a huge set of styles that I had for my PSR900 that folks shared and that was fun to play around with.

I had much more granular control on turning on/of and modifying 2 drum tracks, base and 4 other accompanying instruments (7 separate parameters).

With PA4x, I can only turn on/of and modify drums , base and accompany instruments (3 separate parameters). I know I can modify and create a different style but that's a longer workflow. I just think getting a comparatively unique sound much more straight forward.

I also noticed that all instruments are not accessible from all modes. For example some pads are not found in the style mode but are in the voice mode. I need to explore that more.

Hi
Have to admit, the Yamaha community are very generous with what they share.

Don't quite understand your comments on the modifications.

In style mode, are you actually accessing the individual sounds ie
the factory sounds, legacy sound, Gm/Xg sounds, or are you accessing the keyboard sets, which probably don't include all the sounds available.

Have you checked out the video's listed on the pa4x site. It may help you.

And yes I have a psrs950, but I must admit, I hardly ever use it.

HOBBYIST

PA5X 88 note
Wavesart CFX 9ft Grand Piano 🥰
Wavesart Japanese Grand Piano

Yamaha PSR SX900

Band in a Box 2023
harshalnaidu

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My bad on modifications. I just explored and discovered more on modifications today. I have seen the videos on youtube. Will checkout the ones on the PA4x site and see if I learn something new.

I am not the kind of person who had the patience to read manuals Smile
rikkisbears
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
Videos are handy to be able to see what the Korg is capable of,
manuals are handy for some of the finer details on how to do it.

Takes a bit of time, learning functions on a new keyboard.
Should be worth it. Enjoy.

What type of styles do you actually play.

HOBBYIST

PA5X 88 note

Yamaha PSR SX900

Band in a Box 2023
harshalnaidu

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree rikkisbears.

I usually play Rock , pop styles and ballad styles.

Try to find inspiration from songs and covers I like and try to create my own.
rikkisbears
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

harshalnaidu wrote:

I usually play Rock , pop styles and ballad styles.

Try to find inspiration from songs and covers I like and try to create my own.

Hi,
If you like doing your own styles, you'll luv the style editing/creation functions on this keyboard.
Plus if there's the odd style that you really miss from your yammie, they can be converted across reasonably well, using the midifile import/export function and a pc sequencer. ( not to be confused with the midi song to style converter) .
Takes a bit of time and effort, but for me the ones I have done ,have been worth it to me.

HOBBYIST

PA5X 88 note

Yamaha PSR SX900

Band in a Box 2023
harshalnaidu

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks cool! I will definitely explore these functions.

Thanks for taking the time to answer the questions.
Mystic38

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have exactly the same view..

Once i get some familiarity with the PA4x and sort out my workflow a little (as tbh i am still a bit confused..lol) I will spend some time this winter on the piano sounds..

its a hard thing to consider to sell the S70XS tbh, i went from the RD700GX to the S70XS and lost feel in the keybed and some edge in the piano, but did gain the motif sound engine along the way (a big plus for me).. but losing more keybed feel and sounds again in favour of the PA4x is not likely to happen.. i suspect they both will stick around.

harshalnaidu wrote:
I was referring to the Full Concert Grand in the Motif which is amazing.

Has anybody shared modified piano sounds for PA4x? I haven't gotten around to working on the piano sound yet.

Korg PA4X, Nord Stage 3, Virus Ti Polar, Novation Nova II, Yamaha S70XS, MPC-X, TC Helicon Voicelive Rack, KRK VXT8 monitors, 2012 LP Standard, 1999 Am. hardtail Strat, Fender DRRI, Orange AD30HTC, Marshall Vintage Modern, 2 cans and a piece of string...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Pa4X All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: