Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hammer key replacement to semi weighted

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jbeliz

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 1:07 am    Post subject: Hammer key replacement to semi weighted Reply with quote

Is it possible to change the weighted keys on the Kronos73 to the semi-weighted keys with out any issues?
geoelectro
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy answer is no, not really. However, the keyboard is somewhat universal in its construction. If you located an unweighted one that was the same demensions, it might fit physically. The other obstacle is compatibility with the contacts and the existing cable from the electronics. In other words the contact scanning lines must line up exactly like the original keyboard.

This could be a formidable job with lots of trial and error. There is some standardization between keybeds so you could get lucky.

I recently built a MIDI controller from a Motif6 (DX7) keybed using a MIDI Boutique encoder. Would have loved putting that in my Kronos61 but there is no similarity between those keybeds. In fact, the contact system on the Motif/DX7 keybed is what makes it so durable.

Geo
N.I. Komplete 11, Omnisphere 2, VB-3.
HP i7 8GB Win 10
Yamaha P-80 Weighted Keyboard. NanoPad2
pedro5
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a quick,short answer....

Someone did doctor the keyboard by removing and engineering the weights on a RH1 keyframe,with some success,apparently.
There was a lot of work involved,though.

I can't remember what the topic title was......perhaps a google search may find it...or..if you know how to search this forum....??

Probably a master keyboard would be the easier route,if it's a matter of the RH1 hammer action keys being too "heavy" for playing etc.

Best Wishes.
jbeliz

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, i guess i will have to try for myself and see if the keys are compatible with that of the Oasys, Triton. I like the size of the 73 model but not a fan of weighted keys. I recently dismantled my Oasys and put it back together due to some keys not sounding so im not to worried about opening these babies up and trying this stuff out.
pedro5
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found the posts I was thinking of......it may be useful...??

http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?p=648467&sid=dd1e5b4cdfe3648b420f8dc4f47b8ef9

Best Wishes.
geoelectro
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jbeliz wrote:
Thanks, i guess i will have to try for myself and see if the keys are compatible with that of the Oasys, Triton. I like the size of the 73 model but not a fan of weighted keys. I recently dismantled my Oasys and put it back together due to some keys not sounding so im not to worried about opening these babies up and trying this stuff out.

I don't know about the Oasys but the Triton actually uses the Yamaha keybed I referred to in my MIDI project. This keybed uses a break/make contact system. Most use a make/make system as does the Kronos. The two are not compatible. At the minimum you will have to use a make/make contact system.

Geo
N.I. Komplete 11, Omnisphere 2, VB-3.
HP i7 8GB Win 10
Yamaha P-80 Weighted Keyboard. NanoPad2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: