Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

4-1/2 years with the Kronos Live
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
LZ
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 5:06 am    Post subject: 4-1/2 years with the Kronos Live Reply with quote

Seriously after so many rigs I've gone through throughout my career - and I'm talking both professional and semi-pro, this is the best rig I've ever owned - a Kronos 61 with an A70 lower tier controller. For some, I would recommend their favorite 88 key weighted action. Either way, the Kronos fits the bill. So there are keyboards out there that do better Pianos and EPs. Others are better clonewheels. There are good VA's out there. In my opinion, there is NO other keyboard out there that incorporates all these in one box with controller and effects routings and such an awesome setlist mode.

My only gripe is MIDI control implementation. But that's another story.

So we have new workstations out....montage, forte, etc....I still don't think they entirely match the Kronos. Thoughts? Again, pick ONE thing and something exists that can do it better, agreed. But All In One Box.
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 12:00 pm    Post subject: Re: 4-1/2 years with the Kronos Live Reply with quote

LZ wrote:
Seriously after so many rigs I've gone through throughout my career - and I'm talking both professional and semi-pro, this is the best rig I've ever owned - a Kronos 61 with an A70 lower tier controller. For some, I would recommend their favorite 88 key weighted action. Either way, the Kronos fits the bill. So there are keyboards out there that do better Pianos and EPs. Others are better clonewheels. There are good VA's out there. In my opinion, there is NO other keyboard out there that incorporates all these in one box with controller and effects routings and such an awesome setlist mode.

So we have new workstations out....montage, forte, etc....I still don't think they entirely match the Kronos. Thoughts? Again, pick ONE thing and something exists that can do it better, agreed. But All In One Box.

its reassuring to hear that the Kronos holds up to the rigor of gigging over 4.5 years. That should dispel fears that the Kronos is not durable.

I am not aware of any new or competitive w/s out... Montage is a performance synth ( no SEQ, etc) and Forte is a digital piano.

I like the A70. I had the A50 when I had modules and a few boards. But that was years ago.

I agree, the Kronos can do it all. I can quibble about a few things but I look at the big picture.
DeltaJockey

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess on this forum we may be preaching to the converted, but I agree, the Kronos all round versatility currently has no equal. I've been thinking about this a bit, and it seems to me that apart from the fact that it is a do all workstation, the wide range of library styles it's open architecture allows, means that we all have our Kronos set up with different "personalities".

I've been through many keyboards over the years, and used to identify in the 70' and 80's more as a Roland person, even though the first synth I ever owned was Korg's first ever synth. But I have to say that generally, I think Korg has stayed true to what synths and keyboards are truly about, while keeping them leading edge. They still seem to cater well for the traditional synthesists.
So from my perspective, It turns out I have identified with the Kronos, and Korg's style of doing things more than any other maker. The Kronos has become more of an extension of my musical soul than any other keyboard I have ever owned.

I was in my local music store the other day auditioning a new set of monitors, and was using their resident Kronos 73, giving it and the monitors a good workout. As I was needing to hear the sound out loud, rather than headphones, involuntarily the whole store could hear my performance. The staff commented that, "the Kronos sounded like the right keyboard for me". This left me feeling with a proud sense of belonging to this great machine Smile
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DeltaJockey wrote:
I guess on this forum we may be preaching to the converted, but I agree, the Kronos all round versatility currently has no equal. I've been thinking about this a bit, and it seems to me that apart from the fact that it is a do all workstation, the wide range of library styles it's open architecture allows, means that we all have our Kronos set up with different "personalities".

I've been through many keyboards over the years, and used to identify in the 70' and 80's more as a Roland person, even though the first synth I ever owned was Korg's first ever synth. But I have to say that generally, I think Korg has stayed true to what synths and keyboards are truly about, while keeping them leading edge. They still seem to cater well for the traditional synthesists.
So from my perspective, It turns out I have identified with the Kronos, and Korg's style of doing things more than any other maker. The Kronos has become more of an extension of my musical soul than any other keyboard I have ever owned.

I was in my local music store the other day auditioning a new set of monitors, and was using their resident Kronos 73, giving it and the monitors a good workout. As I was needing to hear the sound out loud, rather than headphones, involuntarily the whole store could hear my performance. The staff commented that, "the Kronos sounded like the right keyboard for me". This left me feeling with a proud sense of belonging to this great machine Smile

I run my Kronos directly to Studio Monitors. No mixer in the way. It sounds pristine.
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DeltaJockey wrote:

I don't see myself as a very spiritual person but I can only underscore this feeling. It's because more than with any other board, with the Kronos I can get really really close to the sound I envisioned. It has yet to disappoint me on a sound design level. Usually I feel I've reached my own limits before I hit those of the Kronos
adamburgess

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep. Having had to sell my Kronos last year for cash flow reasons haha, I've been looking for something to replace it. All I can come up with is another Kronos. That's hopefully gonna be when this month's gig money comes in!

I've never been a fan of Korg's 88s but I think I may try one this time. Last one was a 61 and that keybed is lovely.

Can get a new boxed Kronos 'classic' 61 for $2000USD here in Dubai. The Kronos 2 is a bit more but apart from the looks, which are improved, I'm struggling to justify it.

So, even narrowed down to a Kronos, I still have choices!
chini

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 4:46 pm    Post subject: Re: 4-1/2 years with the Kronos Live Reply with quote

LZ wrote:
Seriously after so many rigs I've gone through throughout my career - and I'm talking both professional and semi-pro, this is the best rig I've ever owned - a Kronos 61 with an A70…

Yes! absolutely! I have a question related to the A70 you use…

I use an A50 to patch change the Kronos - why? because with the A-50 one can release that patch change on release of the keys or sustain pedal. This has always been the way I have patch changed ever since owning an A80 back in 1989! It was and still is I believe the only midi controller keyboard that you could hit the patch change while still holding the chord with your hands or the sustain pedal and that patch change would not take place until you release you release the sustain pedal. I started a thread on this a few years ago for the Kronos wishing that Korg could implement this functionality into the Kronos itself but alas having spoken to one of the UK techies it is apparently too convoluted a process to implement.

My A50 has been fine but I often wish it had more than 4 zones which I know the A70 possesses! However I have always wanted to know if the A70 had the same functionality as the A50/80 in terms of its patch release functionality?

Here's a recent video that shows my rig in action...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mrNQyDL3w6Q

Always be true to yourself
chini

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 4:46 pm    Post subject: Re: 4-1/2 years with the Kronos Live Reply with quote

LZ wrote:
Seriously after so many rigs I've gone through throughout my career - and I'm talking both professional and semi-pro, this is the best rig I've ever owned - a Kronos 61 with an A70…

Yes! absolutely! It's by far he most inspiring/practical stage keyboard ever if lacking I agree in a few midi corners!

Hence I have a question related to the A70 you use…

I use an A50 to patch change the Kronos - why? because with the A-50 one can release that patch change on release of the keys or sustain pedal. This has always been the way I have patch changed ever since owning an A80 back in 1989! It was and still is I believe the only midi controller keyboard that you could hit the patch change while still holding the chord with your hands or the sustain pedal and that patch change would not take place until you release you release the sustain pedal. I started a thread on this a few years ago for the Kronos wishing that Korg could implement this functionality into the Kronos itself but alas having spoken to one of the UK techies it is apparently too convoluted a process to implement.

My A50 has been fine but I often wish it had more than 4 zones which I know the A70 possesses! However I have always wanted to know if the A70 had the same functionality as the A50/80 in terms of its patch release functionality?

Here's a recent video that shows my rig in action...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mrNQyDL3w6Q

Always be true to yourself
spaceman3
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KRONOS is a universe unto itself.
KRONOS is in a class by itself.
KRONOS is an entire studio that you can make pro recordings with.
KRONOS, how do i love thee.
Let me count the ways. Smile
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

spaceman3 wrote:

so you like the Kronos ? Just to be sure Wink
spaceman3
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GregC wrote:
spaceman3 wrote:

so you like the Kronos ? Just to be sure Wink

From a music point of view, KRONOS changed my life.
KRONOS is my spaceship.
KRONOS is my disneyland amusement park.
KRONOS is to awesome.
There i go again. Laughing
Bitflipper

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am a relatively new Kronos user, having had my K2-73 for only a few months.

It's the first time in a long while that I've been doing gigs with a single instrument. That was meant to be temporary, but the longer I use it and the more I customize it, the less it feels like "making do", and the more it seems it may be all I really need.

This is also my first Korg product. I'd been a Yamaha guy for the past 10 years and a Roland guy for 30 years before that, and a Hammond/Rhodes guy before that. Yup, I've been doing this for awhile.

But for all those years I'd optimistically try out every new Korg product that came along, only to dismiss it as not quite as good as similarly-priced options from Roland, Yamaha, Akai or Oberheim. Even though Korg was often technologically ground-breaking, their stuff was not as feature-rich or player-friendly as their competitors. Yamaha had the best samples and keybeds, Roland had the best live features.

Then Jordan Rudess switched to Kronos as his main instrument. That got my attention. The guy has every keyboard instrument ever made, but he chose this one to be the centerpiece of his rig. So when it came time to replace my gear, I felt the Kronos deserved consideration.

It was a good choice, I think. And I feel a little better about that choice after each gig.
Derek Cook
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same here. Long time Yamaha Stalwart (but bored, bored, bored with endless Motif rehashes compared to the heady days of SY77, FS1r, AN1x and EX5), and now a Kronos owner for two years. It is an amazing synth for sure that I have barely scratched the surface on in terms of programming, which is why it interested me.

Hope Korg keep supporting it as they have done so far, although of course at some point they will have to move on to a new generation device.

Follow kronos.factory development and submit ideas over at the kronos.factory Trello Board

My Echoes Music Website
My Carreg Ddu Music Website
DanielD71

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The combination of my K2 88 and the A70 is great.

Regards

Dan
rickster1

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm also a first time Korg owner with my 1st gen K-73... I was a Roland guy before that, but I'm totally sold on my Kronos & Korg's system. Thinking of buying another one in 2017 as mine will be 5+ years old by then. So far it's been holding up well.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: