Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Think Kronos has some time left?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gnbutt wrote:
I too am waiting for the next Kronos "flagship" in 2017 and will probably buy it, selling some of my other keyboards off. With a "one does all" keyboard now covering just about any sounds I would ever want, the days of multi-keys needed for a gig are probably over with to some degree, even a 2 keyboard set up is quite capable of handling most requirements. GNB

thats makes 4 or 5 of us Smile

I don't gig so it was easier to sell off my Motif, Extreme, M3m, Rd700GX
5 years ago

I can understand why un weighed keys are important for synth/organ parts.
Plus I am not a gear collector.

I have adjusted to playing synth/organ parts on the 88.
Purpleibby

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there really anything out there that competes with Kronos....and if there's anything close what couldn't be addressed with new features in another update? Kronos still seems to be the king even with new releases by others.
Put me into the wish Kronos had some time left category with another awesome update. I'd love to buy a new synth by christmas...don't want to be one of those people who buy a synth and a couple of weeks later it's replaced by another model.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Purpleibby wrote:
Is there really anything out there that competes with Kronos....and if there's anything close what couldn't be addressed with new features in another update? Kronos still seems to be the king even with new releases by others.
Put me into the wish Kronos had some time left category with another awesome update. I'd love to buy a new synth by christmas...don't want to be one of those people who buy a synth and a couple of weeks later it's replaced by another model.

no, there is no comparable new standalone w/s that has the features and quality as the Kronos. And its been 5 years, and there has not been a serious contender.

I think the only alternative is a DAW with a host and VI's but the workflow is much different plus you need a midi keyboard.

Your concern is valid. Even with some imagined new w/s, the Kronos is still a very strong pro instrument.

Was it budget that prevented you from getting the Kronos the past 5 years ?
Just curious. I find the Kronos in the used market, too, but the prices are not cheap.
Purpleibby

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GregC wrote:
Purpleibby wrote:

no, there is no comparable new standalone w/s that has the features and quality as the Kronos. And its been 5 years, and there has not been a serious contender.

I think the only alternative is a DAW with a host and VI's but the workflow is much different plus you need a midi keyboard.

Your concern is valid. Even with some imagined new w/s, the Kronos is still a very strong pro instrument.

Just curious. I find the Kronos in the used market, too, but the prices are not cheap.

Thanks Greg, ya the Kronos is still King! Ya, that's where I'm at. I love my TS + 01/W + DAW setup and it has served me well. I don't flip gear too much. OASYS was out of my price range and the Kronos is just right and it's the best! I want one badly, just the timing has me stuck. I'd have to sell a lot to get it but I can't be without a main hardware WS(01/W will always stay with me).

As far as budget goes...yup. I'm a guitarist too actually since 88 so I have 2 rigs(my guitar setup is DONE)...seeing my guitar setup and you'll understand:

GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Purpleibby wrote:
GregC wrote:
Purpleibby wrote:

Thanks Greg, ya the Kronos is still King! Ya, that's where I'm at. I love my TS + 01/W + DAW setup and it has served me well. I don't flip gear too much. OASYS was out of my price range and the Kronos is just right and it's the best! I want one badly, just the timing has me stuck. I'd have to sell a lot to get it but I can't be without a main hardware WS(01/W will always stay with me).

As far as budget goes...yup. I'm a guitarist too actually since 88 so I have 2 rigs(my guitar setup is DONE)...seeing my guitar setup and you'll understand:

[i

oh, a guitar player, that explains everything.

The Kronos has decent FX and guitars , at least the rhythm stuff is decent.

One day you will sell all those stomp pedals and guitar amps and join us kool kids Wink
Purpleibby

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GregC wrote:

One day you will sell all those stomp pedals and guitar amps and join us kool kids Wink

Laughing I do both synths and guitar:) Pedals and Rack processors for the guitar amps......Analog pedals before the amps...it's Eventide/Lexicon/Vintage Roland FX(fat and warm) for line level rack effects(check the rack)....That's actually my guitar rack...but it works nice for my DAW too.

I do lots of sculpting on my guitar tones just like I do on my synth stuff. The programming on those effects/signal routing units is actually much deeper than the effects on the synths themselves.

You ain't getting guitar sounds like this on a synth or a modern stomp box:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L3I6euvvLFc&index=2&list=RDn95DPQqKFd8

I appreciate your comments Greg...thanks for taking the time.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Purpleibby wrote:
GregC wrote:

Laughing I do both synths and guitar:) Pedals and Rack processors for the guitar amps......Analog pedals before the amps...it's Eventide/Lexicon/Vintage Roland FX(fat and warm) for line level rack effects(check the rack)....That's actually my guitar rack...but it works nice for my DAW too.

I do lots of sculpting on my guitar tones just like I do on my synth stuff. The programming on those effects/signal routing units is actually much deeper than the effects on the synths themselves.

That's true. I can't touch your actual guitar tone.

But the Kronos can equal about 50% of those washed FX you have.

For me, that gets the job done
wma

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it would be nice if korg come up with a keyboard tended more to performance that's beyond 2k usd in price rage between the krome and kronos featuring a good keybed w/ aftertouch as the one used with their pa900 and the joysticks & ribbon strip used with kronos and 8 knobs instead of 4 and can act as a good midi controller and has alot of sound and integrated karma and more arpigiator than two and has a good amount of flash for wave forms to be expandable .. I love korg and willing to get one but not the krome and neither the kronos - waiting for the successor, for something more fress
wma

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

a perfornace synth or lite-featured workstation that's tended for performance and midi control and interacts/integrates very well with korg gadget and their synth modules 'volca series' and also ableton live w/ ableton link would be a very nice idea and can act as an advanced workstation
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wma wrote:
a perfornace synth or lite-featured workstation that's tended for performance and midi control and interacts/integrates very well with korg gadget and their synth modules 'volca series' and also ableton live w/ ableton link would be a very nice idea and can act as an advanced workstation

So you want an ' all things for all people ' w/s at a 'good ' price with a high quality keyboard.

I don't know if Korg or other cos look at product that way.

The Gadget is sort of cool, especially if you like electronica. But the Kronos is numerous times more powerful and the quality is pro level.

Gadget makes sense as its designed for the iPad, etc. For $39, its fun. It gets people into Korg products and technology.
Purpleibby

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GregC wrote:
Purpleibby wrote:
GregC wrote:

That's true. I can't touch your actual guitar tone.

But the Kronos can equal about 50% of those washed FX you have.

For me, that gets the job done

That may be true that a Kronos can have the amount of effects, but a chorus from Kronos isn't gonna sound like/as good or even close to a real Dyno-My-Piano Tri Stereo Chorus, or an Eventide H3000, or an Eventide Eclipse....That's not actually my rig in the video, but it's pretty close to the kind of clean tones I strive for.

A Tri Stereo Chorus rack unit(designed for the Rhodes Piano but also adopted into many fx racks) the real deal costs anywhere from 1,500 to 2,500 on the used market today...Though today you can get the recreation of it for about 900 now(The TERC).
Heck an Eclipse new today costs 2 grand. Keyboard fx processors don't hold up to dedicated high end units that you see in studios like the Eventides/Lexicons and they don't try to...apples and oranges. The amount of dsp it would take would drive the cost more than most could absorb.

Don't get me wrong I love synths too as I do both synths and guitar, but quality dedicated FX units, and especially specialty ones like mentioned above are just worlds beyond the what the Kronos can do. That's not a knock on synths(which I love too)...

Back to the Kronos I'm still in awe of it. I'll probably just take a chance and go for it, no doubt it's awesome. Hopefully there's still more in store for Kronos. Again Greg and everyone here thanks:)
wma

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GregC wrote:
wma wrote:

So you want an ' all things for all people ' w/s at a 'good ' price with a high quality keyboard.

The Gadget is sort of cool, especially if you like electronica. But the Kronos is numerous times more powerful and the quality is pro level.

Gadget makes sense as its designed for the iPad, etc. For $39, its fun. It gets people into Korg products and technology.

i want something very good in quality and very close to a flagship yet affordable and not over rated & over priced

w/ respect to gadgets, i know it doesn't match kronos or even close to it when it comes to quality, but when the keyboard can integrate/interact with the app if can get benifit from the app's features missing in the keyboard like the piano roll and maybe some others
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wma wrote:
GregC wrote:
wma wrote:

i want something very good in quality and very close to a flagship yet affordable and not over rated & over priced

not following you. Are you saying its your opinion the Kronos is over rated and over priced ? Or what exactly are you pointing to ?
wma

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GregC wrote:
wma wrote:
GregC wrote:
wma wrote:

not following you. Are you saying its your opinion the Kronos is over rated and over priced ? Or what exactly are you pointing to ?

not much, mostly the yamaha montage specially when you choose the larger ones; the kronos when compared to a daw + virtual instruments should know it massive amount of features should not let the kronos cost like and to be honest its very good by not superior specially when it comes to how it sounds with respect to other synths & instruments and VSTs that cost fractions its cost - korg should udate their sampe library and look after the digital converters they use
wma

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GregC wrote:
wma wrote:
GregC wrote:
wma wrote:

not much, mostly the yamaha montage specially when you choose the larger ones; the kronos when compared to a daw + virtual instruments should know it massive amount of features should not let the kronos cost like and to be honest its very good by not superior specially when it comes to how it sounds with respect to other synths & instruments and VSTs that cost fractions its cost - korg should udate their sampe library and look after the digital converters they use
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: