Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Line In

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gazelle

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 7:00 pm    Post subject: Line In Reply with quote

Hi there! I have the newest model Korg Kronos, and I had a question about the "Line In" input on the back. I know they are analog inputs, but I have been able to plug my iPad and computer up to it once or twice and play music through my Kronos. But 9 times out of 10, when I do that, and direct it to the L/R output without having any effects or anything, it sounds like an 8bit track. It sounds terrible. I was wondering if there was any way I could combat that problem, or if I simply cannot play music through my Kronos. Thanks!
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This might be better posted in the Kronos section of the forum.

The line inputs are mono, so if a stereo source is used, it will be necessary to use both audio inputs, using a suitable splitter cable if the source is a stereo jack, and route or pan one to the left and one to the right audio channel. The Mic/Line switches on the rear panel need to be pressed in, and it is best to start with the Level knobs fully anticlockwise initially, and the iPad's output volume set to maximum, or at least a high-ish level. The "8-bit" sound quality could be due to audio clipping because the input stage has been overloaded, but could also be the result of playing stereo into a single mono channel, often resulting in a "tinny" sort of sound. The Kronos' pianos are a very good example. Lovely in stereo, tinny in mono, as discovered by many a live gigger who has plugged their keyboard into a mono house PA system; but I digress!

Once the above has been done, use the Kronos' Audio Input page to set up the volume, pan, bus routing, and send levels for the inputs, as desired. Programs can use either the Global audio input mixer setup, or have their own custom settings. The default is for Programs to use Global Settings. This selection is available under the individual Program's Audio In/Sampling screen.

All of this may seem an overly complex process, just to get an external audio source to play through the Kronos, but it does allow a huge degree of customisation to what happens to the incoming audio, including the application of Kronos' wide range of effects.
Gazelle

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

voip wrote:

The line inputs are mono, so if a stereo source is used, it will be necessary to use both audio inputs, using a suitable splitter cable if the source is a stereo jack, and route or pan one to the left and one to the right audio channel. The Mic/Line switches on the rear panel need to be pressed in, and it is best to start with the Level knobs fully anticlockwise initially, and the iPad's output volume set to maximum, or at least a high-ish level. The "8-bit" sound quality could be due to audio clipping because the input stage has been overloaded, but could also be the result of playing stereo into a single mono channel, often resulting in a "tinny" sort of sound. The Kronos' pianos are a very good example. Lovely in stereo, tinny in mono, as discovered by many a live gigger who has plugged their keyboard into a mono house PA system; but I digress!

Once the above has been done, use the Kronos' Audio Input page to set up the volume, pan, bus routing, and send levels for the inputs, as desired. Programs can use either the Global audio input mixer setup, or have their own custom settings. The default is for Programs to use Global Settings. This selection is available under the individual Program's Audio In/Sampling screen.

All of this may seem an overly complex process, just to get an external audio source to play through the Kronos, but it does allow a huge degree of customisation to what happens to the incoming audio, including the application of Kronos' wide range of effects.

Awesome! Thank you so much for your help. Haha.
Gazelle

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

voip wrote:

Awesome! Thank you so much for your help. Haha.
Korgdude123

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had a similar issue and I believe the issue has to do with stereo/mono inputs as stated above. Good luck!

www.PureRelaxingMusic.com

Take a few minutes out of your busy day and give yourself the "You-Time" you deserve.

and hear the brand new track "A Journey Through C" recorded using only the notes of the C major Chord at

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SSn9dD5L47A
Korgdude123

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Line In Reply with quote

Gazelle wrote:
Hi there! I have the newest model Korg Kronos, and I had a question about the "Line In" input on the back. I know they are analog inputs, but I have been able to plug my iPad and computer up to it once or twice and play music through my Kronos. But 9 times out of 10, when I do that, and direct it to the L/R output without having any effects or anything, it sounds like an 8bit track. It sounds terrible. I was wondering if there was any way I could combat that problem, or if I simply cannot play music through my Kronos. Thanks!

And welcome to the community!

www.PureRelaxingMusic.com

Take a few minutes out of your busy day and give yourself the "You-Time" you deserve.

and hear the brand new track "A Journey Through C" recorded using only the notes of the C major Chord at

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SSn9dD5L47A
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Audio / Visual All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: