Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Dead Motherboard
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jrperser

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 1:56 am    Post subject: Dead Motherboard Reply with quote

My KX61 failed to boot. Stopped in the same place others have indicated. Did all the suggested resets. 3 weeks later, the guys are the nearest authorized repair center said the motherboard crapped out. I don't abuse this board and have no idea what could have caused this. Leary about playing it live now. Don't want to get all the way to a gig and have it fail to boot. Sad
geoelectro
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to hear that. Electronics do fail. They are man made and anything can happen. Even so, we all have come to depend and trust the electronics we use. It's not a bad idea to consider failure is a possibility and have some kind of backup plan.

Geo
N.I. Komplete 11, Omnisphere 2, VB-3.
HP i7 8GB Win 10
Yamaha P-80 Weighted Keyboard. NanoPad2
apex
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there somewhere we can buy a replacement just to have a spare?

YouTube -
https://www.youtube.com/juliusdeberryjr

Facebook -
https://www.facebook.com/majesticstudiosllc

Instagram - https://www.instagram.com/majesticstudios_jld/
SeedyLee
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to hear that's the outcome, must be a bit disappointing.

If electronics were universally reliable, there'd be no need for service centres, spares or warranties Smile

The motherboards used in the Kronos are pretty high quality components from Intel and Asrock, both of which have experience in manufacturing components for embedded devices. But like everything, they can fail.

The good news is that, being commodity hardware, they should be easily replaced.

Speaking of which, has anyone had any experience retrofitting the updated Kronos 2 motherboard (Asrock) into the Kronos / Kronos X?
Korg Kronos 2 88, Reface CS, Roland JV-1080, TE OP1, Moog Subsequent 37, Korg ARP Odyssey, Allen & Heath Zed 18, Adam F5, MOTU MIDI Express XT, Lexicon MX200 & MPX1, Yamaha QY700, Yamaha AW16G, Tascam DP008ex, Zoom H6, Organelle, Roland J6 & JU06A

Previous: Triton LE 61/Sampling/64MB/4GB SCSI, MS2000BR, Kronos 1 61, Monotribe, NanoKontrol, NanoKeys, Kaossilator II, Casio HT3000, Roland VP-03, Reface DX, Novation Mininova, MPC One
ronnfigg
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How old is your K61? If you are out of warranty and not afraid to use a screwdriver, you could pop the bottom and check that everything is seated properly, such as the RAM, drive cables, etc. When my original K61 died under warranty, the repair shop claimed a bad SSD and fan. Ultimately Korg replaced the whole machine.
benny ray
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 5:50 am    Post subject: s Reply with quote

Sorry to hear that and everytime i power up my Kronos i have a strange feeling almost like my computer booting up something may go wrong. So far so good and the motherboard is usually what goes first. Hope you get your Kronos working soon.
eli125

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

try to backup your data than reinstall softwarehan format the keyboard this can help
ronnfigg
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eli125 wrote:
try to backup your data than reinstall softwarehan format the keyboard this can help

The OP said it won't boot, so not sure how he can get to backing up his data. And some Korg gurus only recommend formatting as a LAST resort.
lonelagranger

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a backup motherboard the same month I bought my Kronos about 5 years ago. I haven't had to use it, but glad I got it. It is a Intel D525MW motherboard. I would google it and see if you can find one.
lonelagranger

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see Newegg has three of them (Intel D525MW) in stock at $123.75.
Escapegoat

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Managed to buy a 'just in case' board for £45 this week.

OP- hope you're soon sorted, thanks for prompting me to act.
Jrperser

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 3:02 am    Post subject: Re: Dead Motherboard Reply with quote

Jrperser wrote:
My KX61 failed to boot.... dead motherboard. Sad

Thought I would update you on the resolution...

Repair center said they can't get the parts for months and months. Offered me the full purchase price back under the warranty. I think they just took a shortcut. Took the warranty not out any money. So it sucks and it doesn't depending on your viewpoint.

I don't have a Kronos now, could put the money toward buying a new one but I'm a bit gun shy. Can get a new Kronos 2 88 at Guitar Center for $3200.

Had an M1 since the early 90's. Never crapped out or had a single problem.
Have a Yamaha Motif I got in early 2000's. Never had a problem.
Playing a Korg SV-1 live and so far so good. It's red AND Italian.

Not sure what I'll do now.

Sad Sad Sad
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 11:31 am    Post subject: Re: Dead Motherboard Reply with quote

Jrperser wrote:
Jrperser wrote:

Repair center said they can't get the parts for months and months. Offered me the full purchase price back under the warranty. I think they just took a shortcut. Took the warranty not out any money. So it sucks and it doesn't depending on your viewpoint.

I don't have a Kronos now, could put the money toward buying a new one but I'm a bit gun shy. Can get a new Kronos 2 88 at Guitar Center for $3200.

Sad Sad Sad

You had the X model. Did you buy it used or new ?
From where ?

What country are you in ?

How much time ( months/weeks of ownership)passed before the MoBo on your X failed ?
McHale
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 4:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Dead Motherboard Reply with quote

Jrperser wrote:
Jrperser wrote:

Sad Sad Sad

Yep. Happened to me and MANY others. I picked up a 2nd spare motherboard for my Kronos but I'd never buy another Kronos or PC-based Korg synth again that's for sure. They clearly have a problem somewhere that they haven't resolved (or tried to resolve).

I stopped using mine to be honest. It's not dependable enough for gigging (or even sitting in a case as was the case when mine crapped out).

-Mc
Current Korg Gear: KRONOS 88 (4GB), M50-73 (PS mod), RADIAS-73, Electribe MX, Triton Pro (MOSS, SCSI, CF, 64MB RAM), SQ-64, DVP-1, MEX-8000, MR-1, KAOSSilator, nanoKey, nanoKontrol, 3x nanoPad 2, 3x DS1H, 7x PS1, FC7 (yes Korg, NOT Yamaha).
dfahrner
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 5:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Dead Motherboard Reply with quote

McHale wrote:
Yep. Happened to me and MANY others. I picked up a 2nd spare motherboard for my Kronos but I'd never buy another Kronos or PC-based Korg synth again that's for sure. They clearly have a problem somewhere that they haven't resolved (or tried to resolve).

I stopped using mine to be honest. It's not dependable enough for gigging (or even sitting in a case as was the case when mine crapped out).

-Mc

Of course, YMMV, as they say...I've been gigging with KRONOS for about five years now and never had a problem...and I sure haven't seen "MANY" reports of dead m'boards, here or anywhere else...

df
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: