Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

My conclusion:Who must not be upgraded to Pa4X !

View previous topic :: View next topic  
AntonySharmman
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 11:19 pm    Post subject: My conclusion:Who must not be upgraded to Pa4X ! Reply with quote

I think that you're all aware of the superior 24 bit DAC /engine and 5Gb factory library of Pa4X , that makes it one-way choice
arranger for a beginner in PaSeries.
But for an experianced Pa3X user and performer there are some crucial PaSeries functions that are still discontinued
for an unknown reason that only Pa4X developers know , and you can read some of them there
http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=103884

I waited patiently the latest Pa4X OS update but as I can see they're not willing to bring those missing important PaSeries
features back and their extra priority (except bugs) was only to encrypt their PKG resources ... and totally ignored our
requests , that are also for their benifit !

Therefore IMO , Pa3X Pro users that have a custom SET where all style and sound resources are based on custom PCM
samples have absolutely no reason to ugrade to Pa4X
( even for free) and loose those important PaSeries indivindual
STS function properties that will reverse their whole performance manipulation that is based on them, like me when missing
features like Velocity to Fill per STS & Fingered mode per STS , will ruin and downgrade my performance in a Pa4X !

Pa3X Producer Edition 512 Mb owners have definately nothing to gain from a Pa4X since already has supperior styles/
drumkits/Bass/Guitars and all included sounds and the only "threat" could be only a Pa4X Producer Edition of 800 Mb that
will not exist with such an OS like v1.21 , maybe in future Pa5X if deserves it !

Contary Pa4X standalone libraries will be distributed for the rest of users at the known website
http://wavesart.eu/Pa3XSoundLibraries

Thanks for reading

Keyboards : Steinway-D, Kronos X, Pa5X 76, Pa4X 76, Montage M7 , Roland-XV88, Emu3,Emax II,Synclavier II,Yamaha DX Series, ΟΒ-8V
barry murphy

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed anthony. Why upgrade to something less. Maybe the sound is better but there is nothing wrong with the pa3x sounds. Maybe a 6x will cure it all.
Barry
nitecrawler
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

barry murphy wrote:
Agreed anthony. Why upgrade to something less. Maybe the sound is better but there is nothing wrong with the pa3x sounds. Maybe a 6x will cure it all.
Barry

I don't think they would "retro" back to a 3x in a 6x. Once they made the decision to go down the road set up by the 4x, there will not be any backtracking. That would be counterproductive in their minds. This 4x has effectively broken the string of compatibility. They needed to do that, most likely, to set up a new progression with the 24bit DAC and 5Gb factory library, effectively requiring independent developers to adjust accordingly. Its a control issue in my mind. So, no going back. Mad

Montage M7, Pa5x76, Nautilus, PA3Xle, Oasys 76, Mini-Moog, EMU Audity 2000, Motion Sound KBR 3D amp, Presonus and Reaper DAW W/Tannoy Reveal 501A powered monitors
al urezzio

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 4:02 pm    Post subject: anti 4x Reply with quote

i already decided not to upgrade ,stopping my string of upgrades ..pa50 ,pa800 now the 3X ..mine were honestly for financial reasons ,but loving what the 3x sounds like also i wasn't impressed with what change they did & what changes the didn't do ..now after reading everyones comment ,i really convinced myself ...but here's my problem ...i am not a PROGRAMMER ,trying to learn but taking the time to figure it out , well lets just say I'd rather be here playing instead of pushing buttons ...now here's my dilemma ,new styles ....ive gone thru most on the forum ...when i check out styles that people have listed , i can never get them to download or they don't download in a ZIP files ...can anyone recommend a tube that will help me convert files from on line web pages to zip files... also if anyone has any custom funk .R&B .pop w/horns styles they want to give up ,id be forever grateful or if the price is right would buy them ...thank you , just love this site
karmathanever
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it is a shame that a few will not be accepting of the new OS (and it is a NEW OS) - I can fully understand that.
It was a bit like the change from the i30 to the PA80 (but that change was quite significant)

I guess then that it is sensible to stay with what works the best for your musical needs.

All the best

Pete Very Happy
...and play lots of music Very Happy
------------------------------------------------------------------
Giner
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

True, Pete.

I went from i30 to a Pa1xPro - man, that was a jump, but not one that I've ever regretted. I'm now on a Pa3x and I'm liking it a lot (a wee problem with the harmoniser at the moment, but it's in for repair.)

Glad I hung on to the 1x, she's our backup at the moment.

Be well,
Giner
siebenhirter
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 9:05 pm    Post subject: Who must not be upgraded to Pa4X ! Reply with quote

AntonySharmman wrote:
.. for an experianced Pa3X user and performer there are some crucial PaSeries functions that are still discontinued ..

Thanks for informing, fully agree with you - also for an experienced Pa800 user the same PaSeries functions you mentioned are still discontinued.
They also have no reason to upgrade Pa800 to Pa4x, because not only loose important functions of STS-properties when missing features caused by Style Preferences mutilated now in Pa4x by reduction to global use.
Also loose the advantages of realtime-performance manipulation to change sounds of styletracks (also realtimetracks) in mode "Auto-Select Sound" with simple DirectAccess by One-Touch-buttons.
Also loose ... performances/kbdsets linked with Style-Change ....

Interesting facts about styles and stylePlayer functions can be found at http: www.elmarherz.de
karmathanever
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess then that it is sensible to stay with what works the best for your musical needs.
It's so hard to get that "perfect" keyboard eh?
I would love DNC on my Kronos, KARMA on my PA4X etc..etc.. - ain't gonna happen but luckily I can enjoy both.

All the best

Pete Very Happy
AntonySharmman
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kronos needs Karma , a PaSeries arranger do not , where most of Karma functions can be reproduced by an experienced user !
PaSeries DNC can be achieved in Kronos by WavesArt EXs libraries , the only that can't reproduced any more are the
discontinued necessary Styles/STS features ... is it so hard for some of you to understand that ?
It's like your Mercedes newer car model has no aircondition for an unexplained reason !
maybe you don't mind but I care the most about it ...

Keyboards : Steinway-D, Kronos X, Pa5X 76, Pa4X 76, Montage M7 , Roland-XV88, Emu3,Emax II,Synclavier II,Yamaha DX Series, ΟΒ-8V
karmathanever
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry. Wasn't said with any intention of upsetting anyone.
It wasn't a challenge or argument or complaint - simply a "nice-to-have" wish which others have mentioned in the past.
Just merely saying that DNC would be nice on Kronos, and KARMA on pa4x
That's all.
I am lucky and very happy to have both keyboards.
I totally respect that all our requirements differ.

I am sorry that the new pa4x OS and related changes have caused some owners problems and I hope they can be overcome.

Cheers
Pete Very Happy
AntonySharmman
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete , you don't upset me , we're friends and you know that , it's just a general discussion with some clarifications
that must be mentioned !

The frequently repeating "gum" of 'new OS' here is misunderstood and I will explain why :
KorgPa decided to compete Tyros better factory library and for that purpose they applied Linux platform in new
flagship to support factory streaming samples of 5 Gb only for their benefit and in fact just adapted the exact
same PaSeries "DSP application" main core of Pa engine as they did from Pa600/300/900 (also linux) generation
but that time they didn't exluded crucial Pa functions as they did now with Pa4X ...
Advanced users/developers know that the only real feature (except Flash Ram) is the "not legato" addon in
main Pa sound engine (still insufficient) that none of end users will ever use it outside 3-4 factory sounds !

Is not the OS faster in Pa4X/Pa900/Pa3XLe , but the hardaware itself since they share the same CPU/chipset
with different Nand Ram ...
Even if Raspberry Pi 3BCM2387 chipset of 35 $ was used then Pa4X would be 10 times faster with
lower power consumption ...
An engineer dude as Musician is not stupid ... he just wants a decent arranger to create/play his Music !

Thanks for reading

karmathanever
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Antony wrote:
Pete , you don't upset me , we're friends and you know that , it's just a general discussion with some clarifications
that must be mentioned !

Great - all cool.

Thanks

Pete Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Pa3X All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: