Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Undocumented Feature: Load Kontakt Instruments on Kronos!
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SeedyLee
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks EvilDragon, I didn't realise NI had changed the format. This would explain why some worked and others didn't - and may also explain why Korg never advertised the feature.

Do you know if there's a way to use Kontakt to save instruments in an earlier format?
Korg Kronos 2 88, Reface CS, Roland JV-1080, TE OP1, Moog Subsequent 37, Korg ARP Odyssey, Allen & Heath Zed 18, Adam F5, MOTU MIDI Express XT, Lexicon MX200 & MPX1, Yamaha QY700, Yamaha AW16G, Tascam DP008ex, Zoom H6, Organelle, Roland J6 & JU06A

Previous: Triton LE 61/Sampling/64MB/4GB SCSI, MS2000BR, Kronos 1 61, Monotribe, NanoKontrol, NanoKeys, Kaossilator II, Casio HT3000, Roland VP-03, Reface DX, Novation Mininova, MPC One
amit
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EvilDragon wrote:
I believe this will work for NKIs saved in Kontakt BEFORE version 4.2, when the NKI file format completely changed (and NI didn't document it at all, so no 3rd parties can create any tools for creating or loading those files).

Chicken systems apps , (korg creator) reads/converts kontakt 5 files. Though they might have reverse engineered the format, rather
than relying on format specs.
Korg (Kronos 2, PA600,WavestateVolcaFM), Moog Subsequent 37, Waldorf Pulse 2, ,Novation (Peak, Circuit), Roland GR55, Roli Rise 49, Boog Model D Novation Sl 49, Launchpad Pro, Ableton Push 2 + Suite,Yamaha DTX Multi 12, Akai EWI USB, Nano key Studio, Arturia(BeatStep Pro,DrumBrute,Keystep),StryMon(Big Sky,Timeline), Mooer Ocean Machine, Zoom MS-70CDR,MXR Carbon Copy Deluxe, MicroKontrol,KLC, Korg DS-1H, Korg EXP-2,Roland DP-10, Nanopad 2, TEcontrol BBC2, Soundcraft Signatrure 22 MTK, Yamaha MG10XU,UltraG DI,Eris E5 .. List
EvilDragon
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SeedyLee wrote:
Do you know if there's a way to use Kontakt to save instruments in an earlier format?

Nope, not within Kontakt.

About ChickenSys, I didn't try that, but I remember Garth asking me if I had any specifics on the file format... I didn't have it, and he was eager to include it. Not sure what became out of all that - I know that he struggled very much. Reverse engineering would take months since it's not a packed XML-like file format anymore, it's rather a fully binary format encrypted behind AES-128 (and that alone takes time to decrypt...), so I'm not sure if ChickenSys actually works correctly and if it offers full conversion of K5 NKIs to older formats (some things aren't even possible to convert, like the new FX types available in K5, the instrument busses, and so on...). Best case scenario it just reads the groups and mappings and nothing else. Which in most cases just loses viability since most of instrument programming is gone in such "conversion"...

If anyone has that program, I'd definitely like to know how good it is at converting from K5 downwards.
amit
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Evildragon, you are absolutely correct.

I am using korg creator for some conversions. (got some bugs fixed through Garth and Jeff).

It can only read zone and sample mappings etc. None can read the encrypted stuff.

Even if it was possible to read, I doubt there ever will be any converter/engine that can replicate kontakt for other synths as
as it's a beast of an engine, with all the scripting and expressiveness up it's sleeve.

I am mainly using it to preview and convert some of my old sample cd's that are in other formats as it reads them well and can save them as nki.
Korg (Kronos 2, PA600,WavestateVolcaFM), Moog Subsequent 37, Waldorf Pulse 2, ,Novation (Peak, Circuit), Roland GR55, Roli Rise 49, Boog Model D Novation Sl 49, Launchpad Pro, Ableton Push 2 + Suite,Yamaha DTX Multi 12, Akai EWI USB, Nano key Studio, Arturia(BeatStep Pro,DrumBrute,Keystep),StryMon(Big Sky,Timeline), Mooer Ocean Machine, Zoom MS-70CDR,MXR Carbon Copy Deluxe, MicroKontrol,KLC, Korg DS-1H, Korg EXP-2,Roland DP-10, Nanopad 2, TEcontrol BBC2, Soundcraft Signatrure 22 MTK, Yamaha MG10XU,UltraG DI,Eris E5 .. List
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Extreme Sample Converter can do it by autosampling the instrument. Obviously you don't get any of the scripting but you can specify velocity ranges and key ranges and the like.

It's not actively supported anymore but I've tried it a few times and it worked for me.

I don't know if Chicken Systems has this feature, I haven't used it.
AntonySharmman
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Concerning of Kronos recognition of a nki file , just think of KMP , SF2 files converted to a simple layered NKI
file via utilities like ESC/Awave Studio etc !

This simple NKI format sound can be easily translated by Kronos , like a SF2 , but when function script is involved
(not to mention encryption) , this NKI file of any version can't ever been converted to KMP / SF2 format , and all
decent NKI sounds are fully scripted , so just don't hope !

Resampling by your own or via utilities like ESC will be always the "cheap" and only solution anymore to "copy"
just the basics of high rated commercial VST NKI files in your Kronos !

Keyboards : Steinway-D, Kronos X, Pa5X 76, Pa4X 76, Montage M7 , Roland-XV88, Emu3,Emax II,Synclavier II,Yamaha DX Series, ΟΒ-8V
coyote144
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

any news about NKI import into the Kronos? I wish the next OS will support, it would open this keyboard to the whole world of sampling...
jbeliz

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had sucess in the past with only one kontakt library all others seem to not convert or transfer, i also used nki with wav files but not all libraries work specially the newer libraries, you must have got lucky and found an older kontakt library that did not contain all the newer protection added. It was very handy i was able to just import any sample into the kronos from that specific library.
janrhansen

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding Kontakt programs/libraries, does anyone know if its in anyway possible to export just the keymaps and or loop settings from a .nki file ver 4+ ?

I was playing around with some kontakt libraries, and there are several different ways 3'rd party libraries work. They can be Some of them actaully save the original .wav files in a "samples" library, and the .nki file works just like a korg pcg file, only holding data about what to do with the samples, but the .nki is still protected tho.

You have to be pretty hardcore and/or silly if you want to recreate eg. an 8 layer 88key Piano patch, even you got all the 704 samples to load into the Kronos Shocked
Basspig

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried it with ProjectSAM's The Free Orchestra but it just locked up the Kronos and I had to shut off the power and turn it back on.

Chicken Systems' program won't convert it either, according to their website, due to the encrypted files. Why is a free orchestra library encrypted anyway?

A-wave Studio couldn't do anything with it either.

I'm annoyed not only at the wasted time, but the possibility that I installed malware in my system, because to download the library, you must install a downloader .exe file. That file produced an error after 20 seconds and just tells you in a sort of hacker Chinese English grammar to restart the program. WTF? So now I've shared my personal info with them to register to get to the link to download the downloader program and installed a 'who knows what this thing is doing, is it a rootkit?' on my system.

Hidden down at the bottom of their web page was an alternate link to download the library (gee, thanks for showing me at after I've installed god-knows-what .exe on my system) and zip file contains nkc, nkr and nkx files. None of this stuff will load in the Kronos, so big waste of time. ThinkSpace Education has a nice video demo of the library and it's just what I wanted for orchestral effects. Oh well.. you get what you pay for I guess!
janrhansen

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Basspig wrote:
I'm annoyed not only at the wasted time, but the possibility that I installed malware in my system, because to download the library, you must install a downloader .exe file. That file produced an error after 20 seconds and just tells you in a sort of hacker Chinese English grammar to restart the program. WTF? So now I've shared my personal info with them to register to get to the link to download the downloader program and installed a 'who knows what this thing is doing, is it a rootkit?' on my system.

Hidden down at the bottom of their web page was an alternate link to download the library (gee, thanks for showing me at after I've installed god-knows-what .exe on my system) and zip file contains nkc, nkr and nkx files. None of this stuff will load in the Kronos, so big waste of time. ThinkSpace Education has a nice video demo of the library and it's just what I wanted for orchestral effects. Oh well.. you get what you pay for I guess!

Thats why you create a VM for when/if you download "unofficial" releases of software. Then you can play around with it and just restore the VM "when" you bring any Corona files home, cause you will at some point Smile
Dniss
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, you might want to check this thread also.

http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=73618&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=kontakt&start=0

Den
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: