Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Behringer has a new synth
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RKfan

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 10:45 am    Post subject: Behringer has a new synth Reply with quote

http://www.sonicstate.com/news/2016/07/07/new-behringer-synth/

Teaser on SonicState
Joe Gerardi
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup. Uli came onto the Keyboard Corner forum a while back, told us he was developing an analog polysynth, and asked us what we'd like to see.

But there's been precious little news since then.

..Joe
padking

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jes................ not another one !!!!!

Padking
Sharp
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't bring myself to ever wanting one when I have a VIRUS Ti2 which kicks ass.

Kind of like, who in their right mind would like to go out and buy one of these?

EvilDragon
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Except Virus is far from true analog. Come on, Sharp, don't mix apples and oranges. Very Happy
Bachus
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EvilDragon wrote:
Except Virus is far from true analog. Come on, Sharp, don't mix apples and oranges. Very Happy

Can you hear the difference in the mix? With some effects aplied it sounds quite close to analogue, close enough for me... And the virus is so versatile, there is not much close in terms of synth fun compared to a virus...
Sharp
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EvilDragon wrote:

True, but my ears can't tell the difference whatsoever. That's kind of what I'm getting at.

Regards
Sharp.
BobTheDog
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're missing the magic dust that spins around anything analog, maybe you need to take those common sense glasses off and see the brave new world we all left behind years ago. Who needs a synth as amazing as the virus when you can have a basic analog synth that will last a few years.
Broadwave
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sharp wrote:
EvilDragon wrote:

True, but my ears can't tell the difference whatsoever. That's kind of what I'm getting at.

Regards
Sharp.

I have to agree, but you can't tinker with "code". Give me an analogue, a screwdriver and a soldering iron and I'm happy as Larry.

I should imaging Behringer will bring this in at a competitive price point (I think they'll have to - there's so much competition now).
Sharp
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BobTheDog wrote:
You're missing the magic dust that spins around anything analog, maybe you need to take those common sense glasses off and see the brave new world we all left behind years ago. Who needs a synth as amazing as the virus when you can have a basic analog synth that will last a few years.

I guess your right.
My problem is I always have to justify purchasing a synth to myself.

Cheers
Sharp.
Sharp
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Broadwave wrote:
Sharp wrote:
EvilDragon wrote:

Regards
Sharp.

I have to agree, but you can't tinker with "code". Give me an analogue, a screwdriver and a soldering iron and I'm happy as Larry.

I should imaging Behringer will bring this in at a competitive price point (I think they'll have to - there's so much competition now).

Huh ??? So you actually mod them?
Would love to know what sort of fun you get up to there. That sounds REALLY interesting.

I circuit bent a speak and spell once upon a time. Probably the most fun I had breaking something ever. Laughing

Regards
Sharp.
Joe Gerardi
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bachus wrote:
Can you hear the difference in the mix? With some effects aplied it sounds quite close to analogue, close enough for me... And the virus is so versatile, there is not much close in terms of synth fun compared to a virus...

Actually, I can easily hear the difference. It's kind of like the difference between CD's (remember them?) MP3's, and a vinyl LP on a turntable: there is a noticeable difference in the audio, dynamic range, and analog "tubbiness" in the bass end on analog, and a "liveness" on the treble- something we have never gotten on VA's.

Similarly, there's a "life" to the analog synth. Can anyone make a patch that is as alive as the late Keith Emerson's Monster Moog from Karn Evil 9 1st? No VA has ever been able to have the depth and breadth of sound, and that's why I'm thrilled there's people creating analogs again.

And I guess I'm not alone, as the new Moog Minimoog is getting preorders galore.

Finally, it just might be a cranky old fart issue. I'm old, and I remember how much better vinyl sounds- so much so, I bought a turntable: a Pro-Ject Debut Carbon DC, to spin vinyl again, and listening to a Tchaikovsky symphony or "And You And I" by Yes is unbelievably wonderful again.

So maybe it's just because we got to hear these things back in the day that they have a better sound to our ears.

..Joe
Jan1
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The exciting part of this announcement is that there is a new player in the synthesizer market, a company which has a lot of resources and know-how at its disposal to produce a very interesting line of new synthesizers.
And in a relatively small market with very limited profit margins I am always very happy to see new faces on the scene.

And I agree with Joe, there is a very organic lively quality in a good analog synthesizer, just as vinyl and tape have their own characteristic sound quality.
When I recorded bands some twenty years ago it always used to amaze me how the actual recorded sound on studio quality tape sounded better to my ears than the real live sound.
It's a beautiful canvas which has a very flattering effect on the sound and the reason why software tape emulations are made.
spaceman3
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Opinions are like buttholes.
Everybody has one.
So here is my opinion on this subject.
Analogue synths and records are so over rated.
There is a a reason why digital synths nearly made analogue synths obsolete.
And there is a reason that cds made records obsolete.
Analogue synths run hot, they dont last for sh**, they cant reproduce an entire band.
Oh you could, but it would sound like Wendy Carlos artificial weak sound.
Alot of people say that analogue synths are warmer sounding, but in my opinion that just isnt true.
I have heard digital sound every bit as warm.
It all depends on the synth and whos programming the sounds.
In alot of forums ive read.
Analogue lovers keep going back to the LUCKY MAN lead.
Whoopdy doo.
There is no way i could justify spending an outrageous amount of money for an analogue synth, just to have a slightly more acurate Lucky man lead.
I will give analogue this.
They do not step when you crank the resonance.
Records sound thin compared to cds.
Records have crappy dynamic range, and frequency response compared to cds.
And those scratch noises,yuk.
I personaly do not have the nostalgia for these things.
Maybe i do not look at the good ole days as bieng so good.
I will take my KRONOS over any analogue synth, and the people i write for wont care what i used, as long as everyone involved is laughing all the way to the bank.
Please remember, this is just an opinion on technology.

Last edited by spaceman3 on Sun Jul 10, 2016 5:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sharp
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe Gerardi wrote:

Actually, I can easily hear the difference. It's kind of like the difference between CD's (remember them?) MP3's, and a vinyl LP on a turntable: there is a noticeable difference in the audio, dynamic range, and analog "tubbiness" in the bass end on analog, and a "liveness" on the treble- something we have never gotten on VA's.

You must be a Jedi Master Cool

The difference between CD vs MP3, Vinyl or Tape, that's very easy if you know what to listen for and your listening with equipment good enough. Tape is dead simple. CD vs a MP3 encoded at a high bit rate can be difficult. You end up trying to focus on the upper harmonics only to tell them apart.

96Khz 24bit vs 44.1hz 16Bit, not a hope in hell for me. Simply can't tell them apart by listening. Not even in a studio under perfect conditions.

Analog vs a good VA like a Virus, that's also well beyond my abilities because the virus can shake the walls with all the bottom end and sub harmonics you can get from a great Analog. The Virus simply has massive balls, if you know what I mean.

I could pick out a Analog vs the KRONOS though. The KRONOS has a rather specific flavor that I just love. My KRONOS vs Virus are easy to tell apart. It's like night vs day they are so different. The KRONOS sound far more digital, in a very positive way. The KRONOS and Virus make a good pair actually.

As for the General Public, most people don't even listen to music through equipment designed to allow them to hear the music as the artist intended. Beats Headphones for example colour the sound with heavy bass so it all sounds like mush.

Then again, it's all about the art and expressing ourselves.

Regards
Sharp.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Latest News All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16  Next
Page 1 of 16

Jump to: