Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kurzweil Forte OS 2.00 to include User Samples
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
keego

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 5:36 pm    Post subject: Kurzweil Forte OS 2.00 to include User Samples Reply with quote

Just read on the Mastering Vast forum that the Forte will be able to load user samples with 3,75 Gb of memory dedicated to this. Potential Kronos rival?

Previous:
Korg:X5D,Wavestation, N364, Trinity,Triton Classic,Triton Studio, Korg M3 61 w/ EXB-Radias
Ensoniq:TS12, SD1, ASR10
Roland:XP10, JD-800, Roland XV88, A90ex
Kurzweil:K2500RS, K2661, PC3
Nord: Electro 3
marc1

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Potential Kronos rival?

Not quite yet, I think! But Kurzweil is the only company that shows the potential to come forth with a serious Kronos competitor with their next flagship keyboard, imho. Their Forte already has more sampled sound content (16GB) than any of the other manufacturers, which also sounds quite good by the way.
aron
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes potential rival for one part of the Kronos - maybe 2. Still got around 7 more engines to go. Laughing
Seriously, I like Kurzweil but I had the most problems with mine. Great sound, old interface (on mine). Great company and great support.
EvilDragon
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't really call it a rival - Forte is marketed as a stage piano, not a workstation. Even though it does have some workstation-like possibilities. In any case, this is quite a huge deal, and IMHO it destroys the like of Nord Stage 2 in pretty much almost every aspect now (other than one control per function design that is inherent to Nords).
SteelBreeze

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now I'm thinking to sell my K-73X, bring a Forte and a 61-key Kronos. Too bad the local Kurzweil support in Israel is pure shite.
Well, it seems the Forte is both a Nord Stage and Yamaha Montage killer with 3.375GB of sample memory. It's good to hear Kurz's back in the game Smile
aron
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kurzweil was always in the game IMO. My PC361 sounded awesome! For me, it was similar for gigging to the Kronos. The engine was powerful, but the Kronos takes it over the top with the UI. The Kronos is lighter which was a plus for me - just a few pounds though.
burningbusch
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's great. It's no where near the capabilities of the Kronos with sample streaming from SSD, but it's better than the direction Yamaha took going from 4GB down to 1.75GB.

Busch.
Kronos 73, Nautilus 61, Vox Continental 73, Monologue, Yamaha Montage 8, Rhodes Suitcase, Yamaha VL-1, Roland V-Synth, Yamaha AvantGrand, Minimoog Model D, Studio Electronics Omega 8, CSS, Spitfire, VSL, LASS, Sample Modeling, Ivory, Komplete 12, Spectrasonics, Cubase, Pro Tools, etc.
http://www.purgatorycreek.com
PCFREE
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kurzweil samples have tended to be much smaller than most yet still high quality. Let's hope this larger memory doesn't mean sample developers will start developing much larger libraries for not much more quality. Size isn't always and indicator of quality.

....as we forgive those who synthesize against us!!
coyote144
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

there is no more value added to the PC3, now. Forte was already able to read large factory sample bank for its piano sound, already much better than PC3. Now, importing user sample will be possible. Forte is defintitively the best Kurzweil synth ever. Really!
EvilDragon
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coyote144 wrote:
there is no more value added to the PC3, now.

Breath controller input. Ribbon controller input. Sequencer/RIFFS in setups. Other than that, yeah... Forte has better sounds, double the FX resources, arps saved along with program (only PC3LE has that), much better display, and improved hardware/build quality.
Bachus
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EvilDragon wrote:
coyote144 wrote:
there is no more value added to the PC3, now.

Breath controller input. Ribbon controller input. Sequencer/RIFFS in setups. Other than that, yeah... Forte has better sounds, double the FX resources, arps saved along with program (only PC3LE has that), much better display, and improved hardware/build quality.

Sequencer and Riffs are a planned upgrade..

I think its incredible how Kurzweil keeps improving this instrument..
EvilDragon
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's cool, although IMHO kind of a waste of R&D if it's marketed as a STAGE PIANO (as in: not a workstation)... but oh well. Riffs - very cool and usable in a stage piano context (having some accompaniment, for example). Sequencer - absolutely not necessary methinks.

I'd rather if Kurzweil actually focused on bringing the continuation of K series, propelling VAST into 21st century with faster modulation, feedback routing, more interesting DSP blocks (for example: granular, FM without using sine+shaper kludge, physical modeling, and so on), even more processing muscle so that aliasing is minimized across the board, and so on...

But hey... they're already being overly stretched across too few people maintaining too many products at once...
Bachus
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EvilDragon wrote:
That's cool, although IMHO kind of a waste of R&D if it's marketed as a STAGE PIANO (as in: not a workstation)... but oh well. Riffs - very cool and usable in a stage piano context (having some accompaniment, for example). Sequencer - absolutely not necessary methinks.

I'd rather if Kurzweil actually focused on bringing the continuation of K series, propelling VAST into 21st century with faster modulation, feedback routing, more interesting DSP blocks (for example: granular, FM without using sine+shaper kludge, physical modeling, and so on), even more processing muscle so that aliasing is minimized across the board, and so on...

But hey... they're already being overly stretched across too few people maintaining too many products at once...

Seems like riifs and sequencer are probably more like a copy paste from the pc3 series...

Improving Vast ... And adding processor heavy modulation like granular might be out of the box for consuming to much processor power...

I think the main point of the forte is building a single instrument core, to decrease their totall number of instruments... I agree that there are way to many kurzweils right now
EvilDragon
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bachus wrote:
Improving Vast ... And adding processor heavy modulation like granular might be out of the box for consuming to much processor power...

I'm not talking about implementing that to Forte, though - but a possible future actual workstation, if Kurz ever decides to reenter that area.
PCFREE
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this the new Kurzweil forum ? Laughing

Do you think there won't be another k series successor for a few years?
I wonder if there'll be a 61 key version of the forte....
I don't recall any manufacturer doing a 61 Key stage piano !

....as we forgive those who synthesize against us!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: