Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kronos Screen protection

View previous topic :: View next topic  
savont

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 11:14 am    Post subject: Kronos Screen protection Reply with quote

Hi there,
I have been looking for a way to protect the Touch screen on the Kronos from accidental damage "when its not in use", and given that the kronos is useless without a working screen.
And, repairing the screen is obviously something no one wants to do. what a hassle it would be!.
So I ordered some perspex from ebay.
Clear Plastic Acrylic Plexiglass Perspex Sheet A5 Size 148mm x 210mm x 6mm and it fits over the kronos screen with about 20mm overhang on the sides and 10mm top and bottom.
No cutting required.

2015-11-19 14.40.44

2015-11-19 14.39.27

2015-11-19 14.40.18

Before I fixed it in place I used a very fine file to take off the very sharp edges of the perspex to make it nicer to handle when removing, and also rounded the corners a little in case they come into contact with the kronos itself.

To fix it in place I used some stick on velcro (the "soft" stuff) on the outside of the screen, ie on the kronos desktop see (pic2),
(and yes I could have cut the velcro better, but it will do for now) and a little velcro on each corner of the perspex itself, using the "rough" bit of the velcro.
The photos explain it better. At the time of ordering I really didnt know how stiff the plastic was going to be. ie should i have got 7mm, or 8 mm?.
I got the 6mm thick perspex. (4 or 5 mm may have been too thin?)
But having got it in place now, I think you would have to hit it with a hammer or something very very heavy, its got no bending at all, so its pretty safe for me.
Looks pretty good too for something thats protecting the screen, took 5 minutes to do; and the perspex also comes in flouro colors on ebay. Cost? $12.
Maybe there will be a better way in the future, until then this will do for me.

Last edited by savont on Fri Nov 20, 2015 11:41 am; edited 1 time in total
AdDeRoo
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice idea. I have to train our cleaning lady to stay away from my equipment, which until now works; but some additional safety might not harm..

Current gear : Korg Kronos 88 (SN 0979) / Nektar LX88+ / Korg PA2X / Kurzweil K2500R / Korg Nanopad2 / Neo Ventilator / Akai EWI USB / Cantabile / Reaper / Cakewalk / Reason / way too many VST's
dionimusic

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great idea Idea
ferchis
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did something similar for those few times when I have to carry it around, but with a piece of hard cardboard, which holds its own just fine and provides protection. Just like you, I thought the screen is the most important part of the K

Kronos 88 - Korg M50 61 - Morphwiz - Alchemy synth
Derek Cook
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surely (don't call me Shirley Wink ) a proper, foam padded hard case is the best protection? Smile

After spending £2.4K on the Kronos X 61, I did not baulk at purchasing the Korg hard case for it at £200.

And in transit, the Kronos hard case is on top of the other hard cases, with nothing else on top of it.

Follow kronos.factory development and submit ideas over at the kronos.factory Trello Board

My Echoes Music Website
My Carreg Ddu Music Website
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: