Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Genesis Tony Banks sounds on Kronos
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BillW
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a Facebook page called timbre share. That's where I got the patches. Have you been there?
Geoff Flynn

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mocando wrote:

Hey Bill. Another question: In Second Home By The Sea, when Tony finishes the solo, there comes a short guitar solo accompanied by some brassy and stringy sounding chords from Tony, before the arpeggios and Phil starts to sing again. I can see on the 1986 tour videos that he is using the Prophet for that. I wonder, what have you used in that part?

Sorry to interject, but doesn't Tony play the chords on the DX7? Could well be routed to the Prophet 10 (or maybe a Proteus rack sound) via his MidiTemp PMM88 MIDI patch bay. He triggers the sound from the DX7 (under the Synclavier II) on this vid (from 2:27) which I think is the bit you mean....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x3l7nJujnBU

The chord sound I use for this is one I programmed on the Oasys using PolysixEX. Basically a fat sounding heavily chorused sawtooth patch.

Cheers.
Korg Oasys 76, Korg Kronos 2 61, Korg Wavestation EX, Roland Jupiter X, 2 x Roland A800 Pro, Yamaha SY77, MacBook Pro Retina 15-inch Core i7 2.7GHz 16GB / 768GB, MainStage 3, Cymatic uTrack24, Samson S Patch, U-PHORIA UMC404HD Audio interface, Yamaha MG16XU mixer
mocando
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BillW wrote:
There's a Facebook page called timbre share. That's where I got the patches. Have you been there?

Awesome. Joined, waiting for approval.

Thanks

Korg Gear: Wavestation
Korg Software: KLC Wavestation, iWavestation for iPad
Non Korg: M-Audio Code 61 MIDI Controller, Nektar GX49 MIDI Controller
Music Computing: 16in Macbook Pro with Touch Bar Mid 2019, i9 32GB RAM 2TB Flash, MacOS Catalina - 2019 iPad Air 64GB
Software: Apple MainStage, Arturia V Collection 7, Arturia OB-Xa V
Visit: Synth Fans :: Everything Synths Twitter: @korgfans
mocando
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Geoff Flynn wrote:
mocando wrote:

Hey Bill. Another question: In Second Home By The Sea, when Tony finishes the solo, there comes a short guitar solo accompanied by some brassy and stringy sounding chords from Tony, before the arpeggios and Phil starts to sing again. I can see on the 1986 tour videos that he is using the Prophet for that. I wonder, what have you used in that part?

Sorry to interject, but doesn't Tony play the chords on the DX7? Could well be routed to the Prophet 10 (or maybe a Proteus rack sound) via his MidiTemp PMM88 MIDI patch bay. He triggers the sound from the DX7 (under the Synclavier II) on this vid (from 2:27) which I think is the bit you mean....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x3l7nJujnBU

The chord sound I use for this is one I programmed on the Oasys using PolysixEX. Basically a fat sounding heavily chorused sawtooth patch.

Cheers.

You are absolutely right. I shouldn't assume that the sound comes from the board he is playing. He might be actually triggering anything.

I'll try to make it myself. Heavy chorused sawtooth, that's a starting point. Thank.

Music Computing: 16in Macbook Pro with Touch Bar Mid 2019, i9 32GB RAM 2TB Flash, MacOS Catalina - 2019 iPad Air 64GB
piano_jochen

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

afaik, that "brassy string" sound is a Synclavier II preset called "strings19". Unfortunately it's not included in Arturia's Synclavier software instrument... and it won't import SysEx-Files from the original Synclavier II either. Did anybody manage to load original sounds anyway? Or are there high quality samples of the "strings19" patch?
Geoff Flynn

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

piano_jochen wrote:
afaik, that "brassy string" sound is a Synclavier II preset called "strings19". Unfortunately it's not included in Arturia's Synclavier software instrument... and it won't import SysEx-Files from the original Synclavier II either. Did anybody manage to load original sounds anyway? Or are there high quality samples of the "strings19" patch?

I think the Strings 19 idea came from a keyboards blog I wrote in 2005 about my rig which contained a Synclavier II.

I found the Second Home By The Sea Lead Synth sound on one of my Synclavier II Timbre Disks and the sound was labelled Strings 19. Pretty sure that the sounds had been over written and was labelled incorrectly.

I still use samples of this sound (on Oasys and Kronos).

For info, there is a Strings 19 on Arturia Synclavier V, but it sounds nothing like the Lead Synth sound (or the brassy string sound for that matter).

The Brassy/String sound doesn't sound like a Synclavier II Timbre to me although I was wrong in 2005 so who knows?

Here's an archive link to the 2005 Blog:

http://web.archive.org/web/20060820155400/http://www.facevalue.me.uk/Face%20Value-Keyboards.htm
Korg Oasys 76, Korg Kronos 2 61, Korg Wavestation EX, Roland Jupiter X, 2 x Roland A800 Pro, Yamaha SY77, MacBook Pro Retina 15-inch Core i7 2.7GHz 16GB / 768GB, MainStage 3, Cymatic uTrack24, Samson S Patch, U-PHORIA UMC404HD Audio interface, Yamaha MG16XU mixer
jeremykeys
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes you just have to write something in the style of your idols. I originally started writing this with having no intention of sounding like anybody in particular but for some reason about halfway through it started to turn; for me anyways; into a Genesisy; is there such a word?; sounding thing. I hope you like it.

https://soundcloud.com/jeremykeys/happily-sedated

The title is just a working title and will in all likelihood be changed. I have written a few lyrics but they're being rewritten. They sucked. Please have a good listen and if you can be so kind, please hit the little "heart" button. Even if you hate the song! Wink

Thanks in advance.

Jeremykeys
Gear: Kronos 73, Triton Pro-X, Wavestation EX, Polysix, King Korg, Monotron and Monotron Duo, Minikorg, Moog Grandmother, 1 Roland U-20, Hammond M3, 4 acoustic and 6 electric guitars, 1 Ibanez 5 string bass, a bunch of microphones and other very cool toys, 1 wife and 3 cats!
mocando
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Geoff Flynn wrote:
piano_jochen wrote:

I think the Strings 19 idea came from a keyboards blog I wrote in 2005 about my rig which contained a Synclavier II.

I found the Second Home By The Sea Lead Synth sound on one of my Synclavier II Timbre Disks and the sound was labelled Strings 19. Pretty sure that the sounds had been over written and was labelled incorrectly.

For info, there is a Strings 19 on Arturia Synclavier V, but it sounds nothing like the Lead Synth sound (or the brassy string sound for that matter).

The Brassy/String sound doesn't sound like a Synclavier II Timbre to me although I was wrong in 2005 so who knows?

http://web.archive.org/web/20060820155400/http://www.facevalue.me.uk/Face%20Value-Keyboards.htm

Very interesting list. One thing that calls my attention, is the brass sound in Fading Lights (Ensoniq SD1 Stab Brass). I've been trying to replicate that sound for years. Just lately, my son told me that he could hear an organ layered on the brass, and I think he is right. But maybe is the Ensoniq patch that sounds like that.
Is there a way to replicate that sound, or can you point me in the direction where I can download samples of the Stab Brass patch?

Thanks

Geoff Flynn

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mocando wrote:
Geoff Flynn wrote:
piano_jochen wrote:

Very interesting list. One thing that calls my attention, is the brass sound in Fading Lights (Ensoniq SD1 Stab Brass). I've been trying to replicate that sound for years. Just lately, my son told me that he could hear an organ layered on the brass, and I think he is right. But maybe is the Ensoniq patch that sounds like that.
Is there a way to replicate that sound, or can you point me in the direction where I can download samples of the Stab Brass patch?

Thanks

It's just the sound of the SD1 Stab Brass patch (or VFX SD on the Studio Album).
mocando
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Geoff Flynn wrote:

It's just the sound of the SD1 Stab Brass patch (or VFX SD on the Studio Album).

Ok, but I don't have an SD1. What I meant was that if there is a way to emulate the sound using a Mainstage plugin, or if there is an Ensoniq VST, or maybe a AIFF, WAV or MP3 sample of the sound so I can load it up in any sampler.

Geoff Flynn

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mocando wrote:
Geoff Flynn wrote:

Ok, but I don't have an SD1. What I meant was that if there is a way to emulate the sound using a Mainstage plugin, or if there is an Ensoniq VST, or maybe a AIFF, WAV or MP3 sample of the sound so I can load it up in any sampler.

Sorry can't help with that.
Geoff Flynn

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just had a look on some of my soft synths that I don't use too often and UVI Digital Synsations Collection has selected samples of SD1. There is a patch in there called Eighties Pop Brass. Sounds very close to me.

Worth waiting until it's on sale as it ain't cheap.

Cheers.

https://www.uvi.net/digital-synsations.html

Last edited by Geoff Flynn on Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
mocando
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Geoff Flynn wrote:
Just remembered, UVI Digital Synsations Collection has selected samples of SD1. There is a patch in there called Eighties Pop Brass. Sounds very close to me.

Worth waiting until it's on sale as it ain't cheap.

Cheers.

https://www.uvi.net/digital-synsations.html

That's exactly the information I was looking for. Thank you very much.
Wow, pricey indeed. Lets hope it goes on sale soon.

alanjpearson

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BillW wrote:
mocando wrote:
Derek Cook wrote:
Hi,

Do you mean this one by any chance?

http://www.vst4free.com/free_vst.php?id=1491

Yup, precisely. Just today I finished sampling the Basoon, Hapsicord, Violin and Muted Trumpet that I was missing on my Tony Banks set. Ready to share if you want. Just PM me.

Are working on Cinema Show? I'm convinced the run in F# was done with the English Horn, not the Harpsichord. The Harpsichord was definitely used in Dancing with the Moonlit Knight though. I'm using some samples from this VST as well...too bad it was abandoned by the developer.

I believe he used the ProS presets in the following order on Cinema Show:

Trumpet
Mute Trumpet
Steel Guitar
Violin
Telstar
Trumpet

www.losendos.co.uk
alanjpearson

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mocando wrote:
BillW wrote:
mocando wrote:
BillW wrote:
I use this for Quadra sounds:

http://www.synthmagic.co.uk/quadra.html

Do you use it with Mainstage?

I use samples from it in the Kronos. I did set up a Genesis Mainstage rig but I'm not very happy with it and it can be cumbersome to work with. Plus I don't have a backup for it.

Between the Kronos SGX-1, EP-1, CX-3 and HD-1 engines, I have been able to either program or sample everything I need...plus I have two of them in case something goes wrong.

Well, I tried the soft synth route once, on PC, and it wasn't very stable, plagued with latency and freezes and unexpected reboots. But now with Mainstage and the latest Macs, is a real option. I'd love to have a Kronos (or 2 much better), but can't afford them. In fact, I can't even afford the Synthmagic ARP Quadra. I have had big expenses lately, (I have a big family), but I found that I can do with Mainstage what I just dreamed I could do earlier with hardware synths. The sampling capability, how can I assign sustain pedals to mute and unmute patches temporarily, so I can use the same keybed for different sounds, is a work of art. I'm very happy with it, and I have plans to make it grow even bigger. Maybe investing in a couple of Mac Minis, and make it a redundant system.
In fact, there are many touring musicians that rely on Mainstage completely, so if they can do it, I can do too. Eddy Jobson from U.K. and David Rosenthal (Billy Joel) just to name a couple.

Most relevant Roger King from Steve Hacketts band uses Mainstage and claimed to me he only had one mini-crash.
I prefer hardware Cool

www.losendos.co.uk
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 5 of 9

Jump to: