Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kronos, Waldorf Blofeld, Omnisphere.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
runningman67
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 9:23 pm    Post subject: Kronos, Waldorf Blofeld, Omnisphere. Reply with quote

I love my Kronos and it has taken me on a journey, promised me everything and delivered. With thanks to QuiRobinez and this superb forum.

I am not very technical, I play at home, I am scared of software synths and I am not wealthy and approaching 50.

What about this line up.

Kronos 73 (best synth ever)

Waldorf Blofeld. Brilliant keyboard, action , perfect learning tool for 50 year olds who don't sound design (yet), fun, affordable. Perfect MIDI controller too?

Omnisphere. Monster for me but the final chapter?

I would humbly appreciate your thoughts.

Last edited by runningman67 on Tue Jul 12, 2016 3:58 pm; edited 2 times in total
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know what kind of music and sounds you like best but if you would like to get some variety and understand sound design I would heartily recommend a cheap but knobby analog synth. Maybe the Korg ARP? It's a classic. I haven't tried it, can't speak to the quality specifically. But there's nothing like twisting some knobs to understand what's going on with those parameters. Might make you help with programming the Kronos synths more too.

That said, I don't know the Blofeld but Omnisphere at least is a great product.
runningman67
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SanderXpander wrote:
I don't know what kind of music and sounds you like best but if you would like to get some variety and understand sound design I would heartily recommend a cheap but knobby analog synth. Maybe the Korg ARP? It's a classic. I haven't tried it, can't speak to the quality specifically. But there's nothing like twisting some knobs to understand what's going on with those parameters. Might make you help with programming the Kronos synths more too.

That said, I don't know the Blofeld but Omnisphere at least is a great product.

Thanks SanderX.

Believe it or not. My first Synth was a White ARP Odyssey, I bought it used for £250 in 1980.
Needless to say, I have forgotten how it worked but I do remember that portamento slider. yummy.
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha! That's cool Smile
ErnstDabest

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get them insured, get some health-life insurance for yourself, too (in the process)... Ahhh! I'm only kidding you only live once - buy another synth, I suggest an ANALOG.
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 2:06 am    Post subject: Re: Holy trinity, Kronos, Waldorf Blofeld, Omnisphere. Reply with quote

runningman67 wrote:
I love my Kronos and it has taken me on a journey, promised me everything and delivered. With thanks to QuiRobinez and this superb forum.

I am not very technical, I play at home, I am scared of software synths and I am not wealthy and approaching 50.

What about this line up.

Kronos 73 (best synth ever)

Waldorf Blofeld. Brilliant keyboard, action , perfect learning tool for 50 year olds who don't sound design (yet), fun, affordable. Perfect MIDI controller too?

Omnisphere. Monster for me but the final chapter?

I would humbly appreciate your thoughts.

Are you fully upgraded on your OS ? If not, I think that's a must vs being distracted by other boards. With a current OS, you can enjoy numerous great samples.

I would sooner learn that process vs other boards
runningman67
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 6:59 am    Post subject: Re: Holy trinity, Kronos, Waldorf Blofeld, Omnisphere. Reply with quote

GregC wrote:

Are you fully upgraded on your OS ? If not, I think that's a must vs being distracted by other boards. With a current OS, you can enjoy numerous great samples.

I would sooner learn that process vs other boards

Hi Greg.
Sensible and probably the right approach.

Maybe it's a mid life crisis thing Shocked Very Happy
nugghead

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 9:11 am    Post subject: Holy Trinity Reply with quote

I'd go for an roland V synth,it can go to some places sound wise the kronos cant (and vice versa),the original(v1/v2) are the most fun,Gt is a bit of a pain tho look great, Xt is great for xtra D50/ vocal designer power but also lacks the hands on enjoyment of the original,so I'd recomend an original just twiddle a few nobs and be amazed
Ksynth
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Omnisphere is really amazing and the Kronos can be used as a controller with that.

But you need a computer running at the same time.

Another option is an iPad with various apps such as Animoog. And the newer Model 15 Moog app which is like a modular synth.

A universe of options to consider.
runningman67
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ksynth wrote:

A universe of options to consider.

And thats just on the Kronos.

I'll stick rather than twist.

Thanks for your input guys Very Happy
Bitflipper

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Omnisphere is a monster, my favorite synth of all time. I have referred to Omni + Zebra + Kontakt as the holy trinity for computer-based composition.

But I am more of a computer-oriented person who'd have to describe myself as very technical (hence my screen name, bitflipper, an archaic synonym for programmer - my day job). BTW, I am about to turn 65. Age needn't be relevant.

I would not recommend Omnisphere as your first soft synth, especially if you're intimidated by them. It's quite a beast and surprisingly deep, although many simply use it as a ROMpler (> 8,000 patches in there!).

For live performance, the Kronos is currently my only instrument. I do plan to add a Crumar Mojo to the rig eventually, and if money were no object a Nord Lead as well. But K2 covers all bases for now.
slowtrain

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you considered a Moog Sub 37? I'm in a similar situation, and I like mine a lot. There's very little menu diving, many presets, and it's a good synth on which to learn subtractive synthesis. It's also reasonably priced ($1500 U.S.)

Sonic LAB: Moog Sub 37 Review https://youtu.be/QaiB7WRxxCk
jazlover
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Omnisphere, Kontakt and Zebra are amazing.....I am not computer technical... I am a harmony tech and I can handle these three fine. You should check them out.
xp50player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Omnisphere would add another dimension to your cinematic style of music. If I could keep my keyboards and have only one plug-in, it would be that.

For a simple cheap knobby synth, maybe the JP-08 or JU-06 Roland Boutique tabletop modules? $299-$399. The Sub37 is great, but to me is 3x more complicated than a Minimoog. No internal effects is a bummer too, in this day and age.
Bald Eagle
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

slowtrain wrote:
Have you considered a Moog Sub 37? I'm in a similar situation, and I like mine a lot. There's very little menu diving, many presets, and it's a good synth on which to learn subtractive synthesis. It's also reasonably priced ($1500 U.S.)

Sonic LAB: Moog Sub 37 Review https://youtu.be/QaiB7WRxxCk

+1 for the Sub 37

If you're on a strict budget the Sub Phatty is a less expensive option.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: