Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

1st gen Kronos, I need some clear instructions for updating

View previous topic :: View next topic  
rockappalla

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2022 7:16 am    Post subject: 1st gen Kronos, I need some clear instructions for updating Reply with quote

Hi everybody,
On Saturday I'll be buying a 1st gen. Kronos 61 (that's not been updated in years, I don't know which OS it's running)

I want to get it up to date, but on the Korg website I see a lot of stuff, OS 3.1.4, subsystem firmwares and I'm a bit Lost, I also want to reset the programs and combis to factory (just use the preload.PCG right?)

Can you tell me what steps I need to do and in what sequence to get it updated?

Thank you immensely!
Ciao from Italy!

Luca. Very Happy
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2022 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The updating steps are detailed in the KRONOS_Update_and_Restore_E?.pdf file that comes in the zipped update package downloaded from the Korg website. The restore instructions are also included in this file.
rockappalla

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2022 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

voip wrote:
The updating steps are detailed in the KRONOS_Update_and_Restore_E?.pdf file that comes in the zipped update package downloaded from the Korg website. The restore instructions are also included in this file.

I've seen the pdf, it doesn't mention subsystem firmware though...

so, the only thing I need to do is to unzip the update 3.1.4 files to a USB and reloading the factory .PCG files, is that right?
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2022 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unzipping the update files and then copying them to the root of the USB stick, whilst preserving the file structure, is the way to do it, but make sure the USB stick is formatted as per the instructions.

Restoring to default should work OK as long as the factory PCG file hasn't been overwritten. Ensure you get hold of the installation CD-ROMS that came with the Kronos. Although the CD-ROM images can be downloaded from the Korg support site, it can be quite an execrcise in patience to burn them to CDs and get these to work properly.

The sub-system firmware is a separate download. That zip archive, too, includes instructions on how to perform the sub system firmware update. If the Kronos boot screen displays the graphic icons for the nine engines during boot, chances are the sub system firmware is already updated.

rockappalla

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2022 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

voip wrote:
Unzipping the update files and then copying them to the root of the USB stick, whilst preserving the file structure, is the way to do it, but make sure the USB stick is formatted as per the instructions.

Restoring to default should work OK as long as the factory PCG file hasn't been overwritten. Ensure you get hold of the installation CD-ROMS that came with the Kronos. Although the CD-ROM images can be downloaded from the Korg support site, it can be quite an execrcise in patience to burn them to CDs and get these to work properly.

The sub-system firmware is a separate download. That zip archive, too, includes instructions on how to perform the sub system firmware update. If the Kronos boot screen displays the graphic icons for the nine engines during boot, chances are the sub system firmware is already updated.

thank you!
But do I have to update the system firmware first (if still an old version)? Or it doesn't matter if I update the OS first?
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2022 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The firmware subsystem update doesn't require a specific OS version to be present on the Kronos. It does, however, require V1.12 of the Korg MIDI driver to be installed on a PC.

rockappalla

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2022 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

voip wrote:
The firmware subsystem update doesn't require a specific OS version to be present on the Kronos. It does, however, require V1.12 of the Korg MIDI driver to be installed on a PC.

Ok, thanks for your patience, I'm sure I will post some more questions after this Saturday after I take the Kronos home Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: