Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sir George Martin 90 has left the studio...
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
John Hendry

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 7:07 pm    Post subject: Sir George Martin 90 has left the studio... Reply with quote

His new location is still a Mystery of course... but based on the incredible gifts he left behind and his great talent to control harmonics and information in the studio connecting tonal space to time we know so little about I think he will enjoy a new Tour and change anything in his path for the better just as he did to the past.

This guy put a dent in my Life when I needed a good knock in the head and I'm sure others will say the same that were around back then to witness the change youth today take for granted. An absolutely amazing talent that changed the World and certainly one of the best music producers that ever lived here. It is a deep honor to say I was affected by this mans talent while growing up.

"All You Need Is Ears"

Out of respect I was going to suggest a moment of silence and then I found this video. It's not that easy to listen when the mind makes so much noise. It effects everything....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dG6xeSBItos
jimknopf
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He was one of the greatest producers ever to me, perhaps the greatest, regarding how he managed to get the most from very slowly growing technical possibilities during his Beatles era.

To me not even the most famous modern producers have ever reached that level of innovation, as he did.
jeremykeys
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMHO he started an era that will never be repeated. He not only allowed experimentation in music, he encouraged it. Before him, musical experimentation was pretty much limited to "novelty" acts or just kept strictly in the studio. Certainly there was some that almost got to the mainstream but not much. Certainly not like what his genius provided.
Gear: Kronos 73, Triton Pro-X, Wavestation EX, Polysix, King Korg, Monotron and Monotron Duo, Minikorg, Moog Grandmother, 1 Roland U-20, Hammond M3, 4 acoustic and 6 electric guitars, 1 Ibanez 5 string bass, a bunch of microphones and other very cool toys, 1 wife and 3 cats!
losackmd2

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 6:08 pm    Post subject: GM Reply with quote

few realize how important he was

how he brought the BEATLES to the world

producing suggesting restructuring many of their songs

i can't say enough

todays music is HORRENDOUS
don't debate this

Nothing comes close IMHO of PM with just a guitar
or the basic minimal instrumentation needed to produce material so much more interesting than the CRAP utter CRAP that is done today
padking

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 11:11 pm    Post subject: Re: GM Reply with quote

losackmd2 wrote:
few realize how important he was

how he brought the BEATLES to the world

producing suggesting restructuring many of their songs

i can't say enough

todays music is HORRENDOUS
don't debate this

Nothing comes close IMHO of PM with just a guitar
or the basic minimal instrumentation needed to produce material so much more interesting than the CRAP utter CRAP that is done today

+1

Padking
chilly7
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 2:35 pm    Post subject: Re: GM Reply with quote

losackmd2 wrote:

+1
Kevin Nolan
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@losackmd2: I'm a huge George Martin fan, but alas I disagree with a lot of your post !! I know you asked not to debate it, but i don't feel your claims stand up.

In general, you're too sweeping. He was hugely influential - but so were a plethora of other equally important artists across all genres. Just a few names - Quincy Jones, Miles Davies, Jimmy Hendrix, to state but a few obvious names. Hell what about the Ramones and Sex Pistols - or Jimmy Webb and Glen Campbell ?? I could list a thousand names, all highly influential.

And, while there's lots of crap music out today, there are a staggering number of hugely creative artists - young and old - around too. In electronic music you have had a lineage of astounding artists.

Yes George Martins was seminal in Rock / Pop, but I wouldn't overstate it beyond that.
Ksynth
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kevin Nolan wrote:
@losackmd2: I'm a huge George Martin fan, but alas I disagree with a lot of your post !! I know you asked not to debate it, but i don't feel your claims stand up.

In general, you're too sweeping. He was hugely influential - but so were a plethora of other equally important artists across all genres. Just a few names - Quincy Jones, Miles Davies, Jimmy Hendrix, to state but a few obvious names. Hell what about the Ramones and Sex Pistols - or Jimmy Webb and Glen Campbell ?? I could list a thousand names, all highly influential.

And, while there's lots of crap music out today, there are a staggering number of hugely creative artists - young and old - around too. In electronic music you have had a lineage of astounding artists.

Yes George Martins was seminal in Rock / Pop, but I wouldn't overstate it beyond that.

BBC Radiophonic Workshop
padking

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kevin Nolan wrote:

Problem is, your ''artist'' (electronic music) will spend 60% of their time on the knobs and the rest on the keyboard.Take out the kick drum and you have almost nothing.
We all have our own definition of music, that one is not mine.

Padking
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's plenty of non-electronic high quality music being made these days. It's just less mainstream, is that what you mean?
chilly7
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just noticed some ugly thing. I think analog synthesizers provide intresting possibilities to make music. But when i see many people play these instruments they just make noise but not music. And it looks like such musicians have big audience.
The same story with digital synthsizers.
I remember in all days where electricity did not exist main stream and people where making wonderful music with piano which has zero knobs tweaking. ( But it has 3 pedals lol) But now you have instruments with so much possibilities but people make noise but not music.

I constantly come to see people standing in front of big Euro rack or old fashion cupboard modular synthesizers. And then they star to play. And then i ask a question. Did you bought that huge thing just to make this noise?

As coin have two sides awry thing have two sides.

So with computers music become more accessible by more people but other side of coin is that also means that awry untalented person can make music and garbage space with it. So the world end up with millions of millions songs and 99.99% are garbage. And it is very difficult to find some gold threw tons of garbage music.

The same as with paintry. In old days you have to buy expansive paint, expansive paper. So people had to double think what to paint. But today awry body can draw any junk and call it art. And the worst thing is that such junk is prized by many as gold. And the true art usually unknown to most people.

Last edited by chilly7 on Mon Mar 28, 2016 9:36 am; edited 1 time in total
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beauty is in the eye (or ear) of the beholder Smile
I probably hate the stuff you like and vice versa. There's lots of gpod stuff around. Just don't listen to mainstream radio.
Kevin Nolan
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But there's more to it than the concept of the subjectivity of any one person's opinion. Sure, if you like it and everybody else dislikes it, there can be no challenge to its legitimacy in your eyes.

But, the other point is - if music has widespread influence / importance on society or culture, then it has transcended opinion, and has achieved some measure of greater, objective significance, even if you despise it.

Sir George Martin and the Beatles achieved this of course; as have many, many others. In that instance, it doesn't matter whether it has a 4-to-the-floor bass drum you might loath, or be a genre you loath - the music has something universal, and if acknowledged by millions, then it is, objectively, good music.

You're not obliged to like, but you're not entitled to call it crap.
jeremykeys
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A perfect example to me is Deep House music. Maybe I'm just too old but I don't get it at all. I'm also aware that it's huge. It just doesn't work for me. I do know it works for a lot of people though. But then again, these people probably don't in general get the prog rock that I'm so into.

It all comes down to what you like. And me, I like music that is mostly played from the fingers. Not so much remixed samples. I am also totally okay with other people liking their music that way.
Gear: Kronos 73, Triton Pro-X, Wavestation EX, Polysix, King Korg, Monotron and Monotron Duo, Minikorg, Moog Grandmother, 1 Roland U-20, Hammond M3, 4 acoustic and 6 electric guitars, 1 Ibanez 5 string bass, a bunch of microphones and other very cool toys, 1 wife and 3 cats!
chilly7
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SanderXpander wrote:
Beauty is in the eye (or ear) of the beholder Smile
I probably hate the stuff you like and vice versa. There's lots of gpod stuff around. Just don't listen to mainstream radio.

Atlist we can both agree on main stream radio is garbage. No matter what country. Here in Ukraine where i live now it is as garbage as in USA for example.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Latest News All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: