Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kronos boot time is a feature)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
chini

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EvilDragon wrote:
16 GB of samples in Kurzweil Forte - loads in <30 seconds. Instantly available. Sure, it's a stage piano and not a workstation, but shows that it's possible.

Also, gigabytes of samples in Montage - about 20 seconds boot time. It's possible.

Sure its's technically possible, chap! I don't deny this! but for whatever reason Korg have not provided similar performance on this score does it really matter in the grand scheme of things ?… To wait another minute or so compared to the machines you mention, really, is that such a pain?.. I don't think so!…

Always be true to yourself
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The boot time has never been an issue. The Kronos one of the first things to be powered up, and it gives me time to arrange everything so it's just so, ready for making music.

aron
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Evildragon,

Do you even own a Kronos or are you hear to constantly talk about Kurzweil? Yeah and where's that Kurzweil you kept saying would show up and wipe out all the other keyboards? You kept talking about it, I assumed you knew something that none of us did.

OTOH - 2 1/2 mins can be a slow - like the elevator I caught this morning! Smile

Last edited by aron on Fri Mar 04, 2016 10:34 pm; edited 2 times in total
chini

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

voip wrote:
The boot time has never been an issue. The Kronos one of the first things to be powered up, and it gives me time to arrange everything so it's just so, ready for making music.

Absolutely!… furthermore when I use the Kronos live on stage even if it wasn't hooked up to a UPS (which I primarily only really have there for power surge protection) hell! if there is a power cut it's not as if everything's going to re-boot up again without some pause anyway! Stroll on!...

Always be true to yourself
LZ
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EvilDragon wrote:
16 GB of samples in Kurzweil Forte - loads in <30 seconds. Instantly available. Sure, it's a stage piano and not a workstation, but shows that it's possible.

Also, gigabytes of samples in Montage - about 20 seconds boot time. It's possible.

it also doesn't have 9 synthesis engines, ability to stream user samples from disk, 32 track sequencer, etc, etc, etc. They aren't the same thing, and the architecture needed to just load a sample set is different than the processing needed to do everything that the Kronos does. My microwave heats my cup of coffee in less than a minute, but so what?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 11:04 pm    Post subject: boot up >? Reply with quote

never an issue... Kronos ,, the best keyboard I have ever owned.. very powerful .. if it takes 2 mins to get going.. OK ,, I'm sure this is the best they can do.... cheers J

Songwriter , Lyricist , Music Producer
Korg Kronos 73 , Korg Wavestation SR , Korg M1Rex , Korg A2 Effects , Alesis D4 , Alesis DM5 , Alesis DMpro , Alesis QS4r , Passac Sentient 6 , Roland GP16 , Kurzweil K2000r , Creamware Pulsar , 37 guitars & basses , whacky sense of humour , glass of orange juice.
Aziz1008

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 11:34 pm    Post subject: Re: latest OS version much quicker Reply with quote

That's exactly what I meant):

chini wrote:
I think some are becoming complacent here and indeed forgetting that a sophisticated electronic musical hardware instrument like the Kronos needs time to organise itself to reveal it's wealth of facilities to you!

And BTW I have noticed the latest OS 3.04 has shortened the boot up time anyway!

Stop moaning and get creative!

Also, imagine how Korg made a netbooks's Atom CPU run a whole DAW without a single crackle in sound or cpu overload. Try it on any modern CPU netbook.. It's a miracle! Or power of Linux. Linux system can be made somewhat around 5 mb in size. There's a website where everyone can build his own Linux system from scratch. That's what Korg did in Kronos..

And no, i'm not a masochist nor a sadist)) but I always try to evade suffering and make a lemonade from a sour lime offered by Destiny))
Current hardware: Kronos-1 61+1GB RAM+2nd HDD 320 Gb, Triton Extreme 76+MOSS+RAM+dual microSD to CF adapter+64 Gb microSD card, Roland GW7, Casio WK-3300, Casio CTK-631, Farfisa child synth, laptop HP Envy dv7 16Gb ram, Core-i7, 128 SSD+720 GB HDD, E-MU 0202 USB Audio Interface.
Midi: M-Audio Keystation Pro 88, E-MU X-Board 61, launchpad mini, 3 Korg nano controllers, AKAI LPD+LPK, Behringer C2000.
My Kronos wish-list: www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=661561#661561
jeremykeys
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I figure that if you have to wait impatiently for it to boot up so you can play live, then you might want to rethink your set-up system. Put it on a stand. plug it in and turn it on. Mine is always up before I'm done hooking up all of the cables, taping things down to the stage floor, setting up my stereo monitor rig, my guitar rig, my vocals mic and getting it all run to the P.A. Heck, it took longer to type all of this than for my Kronos to power up.

While I'm sure it could have been built to boot up much quicker but then it would have probably cost that much more and possibly enough more than I could have afforded. Which would have meant that I would have never ever had the chance to play such a freakingly amazing musical instrument.

It truly amazes me that people actually bother to whine about it. I can and do empathize if you had the sheer bad luck to have it break down on you or bought a bad one from the factory. But if it's just the wait time, please give me a break and do what I do. Go play and maybe write some great music. After all. That is why you bought it in the first place, isn't it?

Peace and love, everybody! I'm going to play my Kronos now and forget all the negativity in the world!
Gear: Kronos 73, Triton Pro-X, Wavestation EX, Polysix, King Korg, Monotron and Monotron Duo, Minikorg, Moog Grandmother, 1 Roland U-20, Hammond M3, 4 acoustic and 6 electric guitars, 1 Ibanez 5 string bass, a bunch of microphones and other very cool toys, 1 wife and 3 cats!
Aziz1008

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In short: Kronos is not an electric bulb lamp, to be on instantly)
Current hardware: Kronos-1 61+1GB RAM+2nd HDD 320 Gb, Triton Extreme 76+MOSS+RAM+dual microSD to CF adapter+64 Gb microSD card, Roland GW7, Casio WK-3300, Casio CTK-631, Farfisa child synth, laptop HP Envy dv7 16Gb ram, Core-i7, 128 SSD+720 GB HDD, E-MU 0202 USB Audio Interface.
Midi: M-Audio Keystation Pro 88, E-MU X-Board 61, launchpad mini, 3 Korg nano controllers, AKAI LPD+LPK, Behringer C2000.
My Kronos wish-list: www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=661561#661561
EvilDragon
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chini wrote:
but for whatever reason Korg have not provided similar performance on this score does it really matter in the grand scheme of things ?

To me and quite a few other people I've talked about this, yes it DOES matter.

aron wrote:
Evildragon,

Do you even own a Kronos or are you hear to constantly talk about Kurzweil?

Oh, sorry, is owning a Kronos a prerequisite to be able to discuss its shortcomings (and yes, 2 minutes of boot time IS a shortcoming, no matter how pink you want to paint it)? I didn't know that was a rule here.

I own other Korg gear, but for many reasons I find a Kurzweil to be a better MIDI controller (among other things) for my setup, so I didn't go for a Kronos. Does that make me so bad? Can anyone here even be mature enough to have a discussion without thinking "oh, there's that Kurzweil guy, moannnnn" and actually putting forward some thinking juice into it all?

Last edited by EvilDragon on Sat Mar 05, 2016 8:02 am; edited 1 time in total
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EvilDragon wrote:
chini wrote:
but for whatever reason Korg have not provided similar performance on this score does it really matter in the grand scheme of things ?

To me and quite a few other people I've talked about this, yes it DOES matter.

aron wrote:
Evildragon,

Do you even own a Kronos or are you hear to constantly talk about Kurzweil?

Oh, sorry, is owning a Kronos a prerequisite to be able to discuss its shortcomings (and yes, 2 minutes of boot time IS a shortcoming, no matter how pink you want to paint it)? I didn't know that was a rule here.

I own other Korg gear, but for many reasons I find a Kurzweil to be a better MIDI controller (among other things) for my setup, so I didn't go for a Kronos. Does that make me so bad? Can anyone here even be mature enough to have a discussion without thinking "oh, there's that Kurzweil guy, moannnnn" and actually putting forward some thinking juice into it all?

LoL

you need new material

And where is my Kurzweil t-shirt ????
metallo

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I own a Kronos and to me 2 and a half minutes to re-boot during a live gig is a short coming unfortunately.
Kronos is a great machine, is my core equipment for the live sessions, it is a masterpiece but let's face it, the booting time is in case of a live gig is a pain if for any reasons you need to re-boot it.
Of course, when you are in your studio it doesn't matter.
Aziz1008

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another usage of boot time - I take the dust off my Kronos while it's booting.)

Although I keep it covered with a bubbled cloth when not in use, and regularly clean the room and wash floors, some dust still penetrates. I think to buy or sew myself a decent cover from velvet, to protect Kronos from dust.
jeremykeys
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now I feel terrible. Mine has spots from drinks and rain, fur from cats, dust from life. It's just the way it is here. Sad but true. Embarassed Not to mention scratches form gigs and rehearsals.

I love my Kronos and she gets played a LOT!!!!

I think this is as it should be. Smile
Gear: Kronos 73, Triton Pro-X, Wavestation EX, Polysix, King Korg, Monotron and Monotron Duo, Minikorg, Moog Grandmother, 1 Roland U-20, Hammond M3, 4 acoustic and 6 electric guitars, 1 Ibanez 5 string bass, a bunch of microphones and other very cool toys, 1 wife and 3 cats!
danmusician
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EvilDragon wrote:

It's not sample loading that takes the time, it's the loading of the OS. There's a whole lot more going on in the Kronos. It's not just a rompler.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: