Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Playing records from CF causes freeze

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Triton Extreme
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aziz1008

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 9:05 pm    Post subject: Playing records from CF causes freeze Reply with quote

Hi, I just wonder if it is just my problem or anyone experiences this. When I try to play a recorded wave file from CF to microsd adapter with a 64 Gb microSD card, my Triton plays only 3-4 seconds and if I do not press immediately STOP, it freezes, looping played sound with no controls response, making me to reboot it. Is it normal or is it the problem of my CF or TEX itself?
It is strange, because if there was a problem of low CF speed, it would not record/sample to it. It records just fine. Thanks..
Current hardware: Kronos-1 61+1GB RAM+2nd HDD 320 Gb, Triton Extreme 76+MOSS+RAM+dual microSD to CF adapter+64 Gb microSD card, Roland GW7, Casio WK-3300, Casio CTK-631, Farfisa child synth, laptop HP Envy dv7 16Gb ram, Core-i7, 128 SSD+720 GB HDD, E-MU 0202 USB Audio Interface.
Midi: M-Audio Keystation Pro 88, E-MU X-Board 61, launchpad mini, 3 Korg nano controllers, AKAI LPD+LPK, Behringer C2000.
My Kronos wish-list: www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=661561#661561
Aziz1008

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No Triton users?( Please help..
Current hardware: Kronos-1 61+1GB RAM+2nd HDD 320 Gb, Triton Extreme 76+MOSS+RAM+dual microSD to CF adapter+64 Gb microSD card, Roland GW7, Casio WK-3300, Casio CTK-631, Farfisa child synth, laptop HP Envy dv7 16Gb ram, Core-i7, 128 SSD+720 GB HDD, E-MU 0202 USB Audio Interface.
Midi: M-Audio Keystation Pro 88, E-MU X-Board 61, launchpad mini, 3 Korg nano controllers, AKAI LPD+LPK, Behringer C2000.
My Kronos wish-list: www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=661561#661561
Aziz1008

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is strange, why no one answers.. Is it too difficult to share your experience? Or should I sell my Kronos to get answers on Triton? ))
I see from other posts that there are a lot of people owing and using Triton Extreme, why are YOU silent?

It is my second question here on Triton, first, on the same subject was almost 6 months ago, but I never get any reply here, unlike in Kronos section. Someone tell me why. You can PM me.
lebeau99

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
When I try to play a recorded wave file from CF to microsd adapter with a 64 Gb microSD card, my Triton plays only 3-4 seconds and if I do not press immediately STOP, it freezes,

Can't help really. I know nothing about the use of microsd adapters. Why are you using such a device? What are you trying to do.?
I do know that, at one time, there was a discussion about CF cards and that it was generally agreed that Sandisk 2GB were the best. But I use a Sandisk 8GB with no probs.
Something else to check is sampling rate. TrEx can't go beyond 48kHz.
Aside from that ... I don't know.
David
Aziz1008

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for reply, David. All I'm trying to ask is - have you tried playing back sampled songs or records longer than 1 minute directly from CF in Media mode? By Triton's hardware play/record buttons. Please kindly confirm that.

MicroSD adapter allows to use any modern MicroSD card and also protects CF reader's internal pins from wear. Because I do not take it out at all, only mSD card if I need speedy transfer, or just use usb mode transfer for smaller files.

But the problem is, I tried playing files from a regular low-capacity CF card and it still froze after 3-4 sec of playing.

It cannot be a card speed issue, as it records to it normally, without time limits or freezes. Only playback is affected.
lebeau99

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
have you tried playing back sampled songs or records longer than 1 minute directly from CF in Media mode? By Triton's hardware play/record buttons. Please kindly confirm that.

No I haven't tried that You have enough RAM for that, right? Playing it in sampler mode I take it. Just one long sample?

[quote
MicroSD adapter allows to use any modern MicroSD card and also protects CF reader's internal pins from wear.[/quote]
Yes, that's a good idea. I damaged the pins on my the Trex once with the CF card. That was an expensive errour to have repaired.
Quote:
But the problem is, I tried playing files from a regular low-capacity CF card and it still froze after 3-4 sec of playing.

Is the sample 48K or less?
Aziz1008

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I have maximum RAM of 96 Mb, and played ordinary sampled file of TEX, 48 Khz / 16 bit of 3-5 minutes length. And I played it directly in Media section where you have all your files. I played it from CF, not from RAM and sampler. Sampler plays from RAM just fine. There's a function in Media browser, which says pressing play button plays the file. Very handy for preview. But works only for short samples, long cause freezes.(
lebeau99

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haven't tried what you're trying: playing directly from CF in Media mode.
Maybe it's not possible.
There are many people on the Forum who know much more than I do and it's true there's not much response to Extreme section. It's so old I imagine people think I should know everything there is to know about it already.

Can't help you really.
bpoodoo

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I have see this issue too sometimes when playing back a .WAV file written on the CF after creating it from sampling a sequence playback. I will get a "Buffer Overrun" popup error. The .WAV file was created fine, and if I copy it to tablet or computer, it plays back fine. There is no class or speed rating indicated on the CF (I'm using a PNY TOSHIBA128Mb CF). Read speed is usually faster than Write speed, so I'm not sure why it should fail to read but succeed in writing at the same speed.

It could be an inefficient implementation of read buffer / data packeting in the Triton Extreme when accessing CF Media, perhaps a vestige of emulating the Triton Studio DISK drive? The CF device contains an ATA controller and appears to the host device as if it were a hard disk. Another case is how slow a MEDIA>Util>Copy command is. It takes about 5 minutes to copy a 30Mbyte .WAV file from CF to USB flash drive.

Update:
I see the same behavior using either CompactFlash or USB A flash drive as the media source.

From the MEDIA>Load screen, select a .WAV file, press the SAMPLING START/STOP button to start playback. In my case, I'm selecting a 32Mbyte 4 minute .WAV file. 32 seconds into playback, the last 5 seconds played repeats in a continuous loop, and a dialogue box pops up that says:

"Sampling Playback from HDD
Buffer overrun error occurred
[OK]".

Click OK, and the audio loop stops playing. No lockup or reboot required. But if I try to use Edit WAVE, it will slow the Triton down to crawl, effectively locking it up.

Of course, there is no "HDD" in the Triton Extreme. But there is a hard disk drive in the Triton Studio. So yeah, the software that reads and processes the .WAV file, is a carry-over from the Triton Studio.

Last edited by bpoodoo on Fri Jan 24, 2020 8:09 pm; edited 2 times in total
bpoodoo

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OG p.137 indicates Wave File Play and Edit Wave are supported from CompactFlash but are not supported from USB A Removable Media.

With the Triton Extreme powered off, I ejected the CompactFlash and reinserted it. I powered on the Triton Extreme. The same .WAV file plays back fine now, start to finish.

Conclusion: The gremlins caught inside my Triton Extreme for the past 12 years were allowed to escape after I ejected the CF.

All is good in Tritonville.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Triton Extreme All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: