Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kronos reliablity on stage (espcially RAM coming loose)?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
yeloop

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 12:16 am    Post subject: Kronos reliablity on stage (espcially RAM coming loose)? Reply with quote

Hi guys

I am rethinking my live rig and looking at using my Kronos as the primary synth for gigs. Previously I have used a Nord Stage 88.

I've used Korgs for years and the Kronos seems as tough as any Triton or 01/W I've used in the past.

However, I have heard that the RAM can become unseated if the Kronos is bumped in transit. And that the solution is of course to take the bottom panel off an re-seat the RAM sticks. Not difficult, but a massive problem just before a gig.

I'm wondering if this really does happen? Is the RAM still pretty well secured and unlikely to come loose unless the Kronos experienced a massive drop?

If you gig frequently with a Kronos, I'd love to know what your experience has been from this perspective.

Cheers and thanks,
Mike
geoelectro
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have gigged my K61 for three years. Never had a problem with the hardware. Fully trust it. Smile

Geo
N.I. Komplete 11, Omnisphere 2, VB-3.
HP i7 8GB Win 10
Yamaha P-80 Weighted Keyboard. NanoPad2
Falcon2e
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been moving mine around for 6 months, no issues. (K2-61)
dfahrner
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I gigged with a 61 for a year, and then with a 73 for the last two years, both of which I had added expanded memory to, and have never had the problem...

df
benny ray
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 2:29 am    Post subject: w Reply with quote

Gigged steady for a year moving around but extremely careful. No worries Cool
rickster1

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've gigged with my 1st gen K 73 pretty steadily for the last 3 years, been very careful with it; no major bumps, and so far .. knock on wood.. No problems with RAM coming unseated. I've seen the posts relating to this problem, and I've had the sequencer freeze a couple times on gigs, but don't think that has anything to do with the RAM being unseated. The two freezes happened a year apart and I could not reproduce them.
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This happened twice to me but it turned out that it was because the mainboard screws had vibrated loose. This allowed the mainboard to "flap about" during transport (bit of an exaggeration I suppose). The second time I fixed my loose RAM I just put a little glue on the screws and it hasn't happened again. This was roughly two years ago now I'd say.
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never had any hardware problems so far (except one time with a connected bad UPS).

The only thing that happened to me in the beginning was I accidentally touched the vector joystick during volume changes, but since I use a pedal (and know to avoid the VJ when not needed) I never had any problem.

Developer of the free PCG file managing application for most Korg workstations: PCG Tools, see https://www.kronoshaven.com/pcgtools/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Muzztone

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dropped mine - end on (it had been resting against a wall). It was in a case and made a massive bang. An internal cable was partially disconnected and I lost some outputs but Korg fixed it.

No problem with the RAM
nashmatt

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 3:57 am    Post subject: KronosX 73 Reply with quote

I've had a KronosX 73 for about 3 years. It is moved from an office to our sanctuary at least twice a week. This through doors, upstairs and around corners. For this I do not use a case. I am very careful but it has been banged a few times. It has also been a handful of road trips for 6-10 hours in a road case packed in a van. Have not had any hardware issues.
LZ
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I picked up my first gen Kronos when they were new enough and back ordered far enough that the only way I could get one was to drive to Chicago and buy a floor model. I've gigged fairly frequently with it ever since with zero issues. I've even gigged outdoor in summer in direct sunlight several times, and been in light rain.
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where does this fairytail about Kronos being unreliable come from?

I dont gig tough, but it feels like its build like a german car to me
Kronos User Mumbai

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've used the Kronos 61 key for three years now and never had a problem. I've had airlines throw it around, break some keys, break the side, etc. and I've still gone on to perform that night. Extremely reliable, super rugged with the right flight case! Hope I could be of help.
Kronos User Mumbai

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 9:22 am    Post subject: Korg Kronos Durability Reply with quote

I've used the Kronos 61 key for three years now and never had a problem. I've had airlines throw it around, break some keys, break the side, etc. and I've still gone on to perform that night. Extremely reliable, super rugged with the right flight case! Hope I could be of help.
jeremykeys
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got what I beleive is the 5th k73 sold in Canada. I've gigged a fair bit with it. It travels in a proper road case. It gets loaded in and out of my car almost every week. I ve played in in the scorching sunlight but mostly indoors. It's beened baged and bumped and so far has never failed me.
Gear: Kronos 73, Triton Pro-X, Wavestation EX, Polysix, King Korg, Monotron and Monotron Duo, Minikorg, Moog Grandmother, 1 Roland U-20, Hammond M3, 4 acoustic and 6 electric guitars, 1 Ibanez 5 string bass, a bunch of microphones and other very cool toys, 1 wife and 3 cats!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: