Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kronos + iPad + Midi Designer - Pure Awesomeness

View previous topic :: View next topic  
amit
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 2:21 pm    Post subject: Kronos + iPad + Midi Designer - Pure Awesomeness Reply with quote

Just sharing something I spent about 5 hours jamming and having fun with.

If you have an Ipad and the kronos, and are able to connect, then get the Midi Designer App from Apple App store.

What this app does is let you create your own Midi control surface with a lot of customizations and tweaking options and sysex messages.

The Great thing is that it also has pedalboard feature so you can use the kronos ext mode as a trigger for any thing you want (midi macros for example. even inside kronos).

so far I have only tried a few things, deciphered the kronos sysex and they have worked great.

local on and off (just hit the button to turn that on /off)

F0 42 30 68 43 0F 00 00 15 00 00 00 00 F7 for OFF

F0 42 30 68 43 0F 00 00 15 00 00 00 01 F7 for ON

and .. behold....
The Drum Track Live Arrangement.

You can have the drum track play different midi loops (one at a time) in sync with just a
touch of a button.

Add to it a karma scene switching sysex and you get the arranger functionality.

I'll be building some control surfaces for sure,

Here's how if anyone wants to try this out.

Send the bank select sysex
Code:

Preset                                                         User
F0 42 30 68 6E 01 00 00 01 00 00 00 00 F7 or F0 42 30 68 6E 01 00 00 01 00 00 00 01 F7

followed by the Pattern number (YY XX)

MM                       YY XX
F0 42 30 68 6E 00 00 00 01 00 00 00 74 F7

MM=00 for program mode
MM-01  for combi mode

YY XX is the program number in hex. max value of YY and X can be 7F (127 Dec)

so above (XX=74) selects drum pattern number 116 (decimal )

In drum track settings turn sync to on. (I keep all three on)

create couple of buttons in midi designer and assign them different sysex patterns (for simplicity stick to either of preset or user bank, as otherwise you will have to send bank select sysex before each patch change and is complex as you have to set up inheritance).

There's a lot more that can be done, this is just a start.
Korg (Kronos 2, PA600,WavestateVolcaFM), Moog Subsequent 37, Waldorf Pulse 2, ,Novation (Peak, Circuit), Roland GR55, Roli Rise 49, Boog Model D Novation Sl 49, Launchpad Pro, Ableton Push 2 + Suite,Yamaha DTX Multi 12, Akai EWI USB, Nano key Studio, Arturia(BeatStep Pro,DrumBrute,Keystep),StryMon(Big Sky,Timeline), Mooer Ocean Machine, Zoom MS-70CDR,MXR Carbon Copy Deluxe, MicroKontrol,KLC, Korg DS-1H, Korg EXP-2,Roland DP-10, Nanopad 2, TEcontrol BBC2, Soundcraft Signatrure 22 MTK, Yamaha MG10XU,UltraG DI,Eris E5 .. List

Last edited by amit on Sat Dec 19, 2015 11:43 am; edited 1 time in total
Ksynth
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad to hear you had so much fun with this tech. Well done and thanks for posting your results.
drama1
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm. Any chance you could post video?
amit
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

drama1 wrote:
Hmmm. Any chance you could post video?

my mixer died few days back, so waiting for a new one to arrive.

Will try to record a video once I have a solid arrangement for demo.
Korg (Kronos 2, PA600,WavestateVolcaFM), Moog Subsequent 37, Waldorf Pulse 2, ,Novation (Peak, Circuit), Roland GR55, Roli Rise 49, Boog Model D Novation Sl 49, Launchpad Pro, Ableton Push 2 + Suite,Yamaha DTX Multi 12, Akai EWI USB, Nano key Studio, Arturia(BeatStep Pro,DrumBrute,Keystep),StryMon(Big Sky,Timeline), Mooer Ocean Machine, Zoom MS-70CDR,MXR Carbon Copy Deluxe, MicroKontrol,KLC, Korg DS-1H, Korg EXP-2,Roland DP-10, Nanopad 2, TEcontrol BBC2, Soundcraft Signatrure 22 MTK, Yamaha MG10XU,UltraG DI,Eris E5 .. List
amit
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the Video guys,
Excuse the awakard camera angle as this was the only way i could include the ipad and kronos in the video.

https://youtu.be/iAT0Hd3xDGk

Here's some text

This is proof for concept video showing, how midi Designer App for iPad can facilitate things not natively possible on Kronos.
Note You can do something similar in sequencer more using RPPR patterns ,
however the above methodology can be used in combi and program modes.
Most commands are SysEx (System Exclusive Messages)

As of now my layout contains two banks (rock and dance)
Buttons D1 thru D6 trigger drums loops (from kronos preset bank) on each page and F1 thru F6 (trigger drum loops from User banks).
in the Demo I have programmed break and snare roll pattern (8 bars) in user bank and I switch to that that using F4.
and Buttons F.

in a Nutshell I am switching drum track patterns using the Ipad.
each button selects a specific pattern number.

~amit

bobmusic

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great, thanks Amit for sharimg your ideas!
Trinity Pro with MOSS-Board, PBS FlashRom, HDR, Optical DI
Korg Collection 3
dellmed

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2019 2:53 pm    Post subject: connecting Midi designer pro app on iPad to Kronos Reply with quote

Hi Amit, does it connect directly with a lighting cable to th usb port of kronos
amit
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 5:44 pm    Post subject: Re: connecting Midi designer pro app on iPad to Kronos Reply with quote

dellmed wrote:
Hi Amit, does it connect directly with a lighting cable to th usb port of kronos

For Midi Yes,
for Audio, NO, you will need to a usb adapter.
kronosflyby

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 5:18 am    Post subject: Ipad and Web Midi ? Reply with quote

Hello Amit, I was wondering if you could try running kronos Vitamins ( https://kronosflyby.myweb2be.com/ ) on an Ipad, I think not, but if it works I will gladly do an Ipad version.
In my opinion Apple has blocked the Webmidi interface on tablets ...
Thank you in advance Wink

A+

Patrice.

Try my tool :

https://kronosflyby.myweb2be.com Very Happy
amit
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 7:32 am    Post subject: Re: Ipad and Web Midi ? Reply with quote

kronosflyby wrote:
Hello Amit, I was wondering if you could try running kronos Vitamins ( https://kronosflyby.myweb2be.com/ ) on an Ipad, I think not, but if it works I will gladly do an Ipad version.
In my opinion Apple has blocked the Webmidi interface on tablets ...
Thank you in advance Wink

A+

Patrice.

Patrice,
Apple has decided to not support webmidi on IOS (so notmal browsers based on apple wenkit won't work, However there is an app called Web Midi Browser that Allows few web midi apps to run.

I get to the Screen up to "sorry no kronos detected" Smile, Cannot test any further for now as I don't have my iPad Camera/Usb Adapter with me right now!
kronosflyby

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks Amit.

That is what I thought.

Cool

Try my tool :

https://kronosflyby.myweb2be.com Very Happy
V-man

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, picking up the thread again. As a newbie on the Midi Designer App I just wanted to share that IMO it's a great and simple to use app.

I use it for toggling between set list slots fwd/bwd during live play. This since I have a Kronos 2 61 as 2-tier keyboard where the touch screen is too far away for my hands during live play. Ofcourse you can set up a pedal to toggle the set list slots but this is only possible in one direction.

Quite a few of the songs we play live consist of alternations between a set list slot with only piano and a second set list slot with the piano and layers of stings and pads. So what I did was to create two large buttons in the Midi Designer App on my Iphone, one that toggles up and one that toggles down. Then I just have my Iphone laying on the main 1-tier keyboard in close proximity to my left hand so I can quickly toggle between two set list slots. In this way I don't need to create noumerous set list slots toggeling forward thru. It makes me keep the set lists a little bit less complex in general.

This is something that works for me. Another way to do it, i guess, is to use karma switching setups and then create buttons in Midi Designer for control of the karma switch buttons. We all prefer different approaches but either way the Midi Designer App is a great tool IMO.
BlackForest

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2022 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

++ EDIT: Am also picking up this thread again with a question: I could not find if the Elgato Stream Deck could actually do this, send a sysex string, like in the example here, to change drum patterns?

Am considering getting me one, because I am using my ipad for music sheets.

++ I think I've found it here:

http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=127349&highlight=stream+deck

Korg DS-8, Roland D-10, M1Rex, Wavestation, Korg SP-280, JV2080, Wavestate, Kronos LS - all RIP
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: