Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Yamaha New Synth with Alien Technology
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20

View previous topic :: View next topic  
fcoulter

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kevin Nolan wrote:
SanderXpander wrote:
I can definitely see the appeal of quickly assigning the "super knob" to a few of the already accessible parameters. But it feels like a "light" version of what Nord has. I don't know if you've ever played a Stage, Electro or one of the newer Leads but their controller setup is amazing.

I'm likely to open up another debate here - I've played both the Electro and Stage, and find their pianos - all of them - nothing short of pathetic.

Just throwing in my two cents. It seemed like SanderXpander was talking about the Nord as a controller, not as a sound creator.
Bachus
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kevin Nolan wrote:
SanderXpander wrote:
I can definitely see the appeal of quickly assigning the "super knob" to a few of the already accessible parameters. But it feels like a "light" version of what Nord has. I don't know if you've ever played a Stage, Electro or one of the newer Leads but their controller setup is amazing.

I'm likely to open up another debate here - I've played both the Electro and Stage, and find their pianos - all of them - nothing short of pathetic.

Their acoustic pianos are horrendous. Utterly horrendous. We're talking early 1990's Rompler quality here.

As for their CP80 'attempt' - the CP80 in the 1991 PCM Pianos Expansion card for my JD800 is noticeably better. Fender Rhodes don't fair any better. They are like 'cheesy cliches' of each piano that'll sound good in a pub-style PA.

By a country mile, the worst 'pianos' instrument out there. It's bought for its cool red look - like the Apple logo, you're not going to make it as a band unless you have a red keyboard on stage - surely the only reason why they are so successful.

You are not starting a debate....

It only shows you played the wrong Nord stage... Every sample set comes in several different sizes, are you sure you played the HD size samples ?

Because if you play the large samples they have quite a nice character. Espescially the Fazioli samples are better then my itailian grand on the Kronos.

Its also possible to set up your Nord stage in such a way that most of its capabillities are ruined... Which is quite often the case with demo models where many people have toyed with.......
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually agree (kinda) with Kevin on the piano haha. I started to resent it and it's part of why I sold it. But yes I was talking abiut the Nord inteface which is still unsurpassed to me. It's partly because there are fewer parameters on it but what they've made is incredibly elegant.

That's what I mean about the ease of programming too, Jeremy. The Kronos isn't complicated to me at all, I know exactly how to make it do what I want. But menu diving and constantly switching pages is just a different experience and leads you in different directions than "instant assignment" like on the Nord (and possibly Montage).
Kevin Nolan
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should qualify - it was about 2 years ago then I tried both the Electro and Stage. I was genuinely shocked at how bad the acoustic and CP pianos were.

I concede they may have improved significantly in the 2 years or so I tried them.

and I'm not trolling here - I was really disappointed because otherwise I think these are amazing format instruments (and love my Nord Lead 2 Smile )
Derek Cook
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kevin Nolan wrote:
SanderXpander wrote:

Their acoustic pianos are horrendous. Utterly horrendous. We're talking early 1990's Rompler quality here.

As for their CP80 'attempt' - the CP80 in the 1991 PCM Pianos Expansion card for my JD800 is noticeably better. Fender Rhodes don't fair any better. They are like 'cheesy cliches' of each piano that'll sound good in a pub-style PA.

By a country mile, the worst 'pianos' instrument out there. It's bought for its cool red look - like the Apple logo, you're not going to make it as a band unless you have a red keyboard on stage - surely the only reason why they are so successful.

Can't comment on the Stage and its piano sounds, but my 2005 vintage Nord G2 Engine (modular synth in 1U rack) is a pretty amazing VA.

Follow kronos.factory development and submit ideas over at the kronos.factory Trello Board

My Echoes Music Website
My Carreg Ddu Music Website
Kevin Nolan
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vintage Nord !!

We really are in a new era Smile
JPROBERTLA

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although I am not a NORD fan, as I prefer modeling engines over samplers, one cannot easily dismiss them considering how many are used by professional and semi-professional players alike. It can't just be there size and weight!
Kronos2-88, Behringer XR18, Turbosound IP2000 (x2), dbx DriveRack 260, KRK Rokit 8s, Mackie CFX16, Mackie SRM450(x2), Mackie SRS1500 (x2), BBE processors (x4), Roland VSR 880 (x2), Alto TS210, Alto TX10 (x3) and SoundForge
Kevin Nolan
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, as said, my encounter with them was 2-3 years ago - so while I'm not bang up to date, 2-3 years is not all that long ago.

And I'm being quite genuine when I say this - the lower and upper end (in particular) of the Nord acoustic piano programs were clearly and obviously pitch shifted samples form only a few sample points per octave - and the dynamic velocity cross fading what horrendous.

The Pianos ROM on my K2500XS from 1995 is SIGNIFICANTLY better than the Nord Stage and Electro from around 2014 in these regards.

As for the CP80 on the Nords - it is equally poor. Literally, the CP80 on my JD800 Pianos ROM from 1991 is noticeably better.

In my opinion, the Nord Stage and Electro ARE popular because of their iconic look - I think that any up and coming band feels they need to be seen with one.

There's also the "stage / rock piano" syndrome going on here - as in - some manufacturers like Roland seem to have achieved success because of their "Rock Piano" being liked because it cuts through in live gigs, while Yamaha, whose digital pianos are more natural pianistically, are not favored as much on stage because they don't sound as good for rock piano (where rock piano essentially means a bright, full sound with less dynamics, or a need for dynamics (as needed in classical playing)).

So the Nord's are likely favored by rock keyboard players because the have a preference toward rock sound. I'd be confident however, that if you looked in the recordings of any major act who uses a Nord on stage, that the actual recordings were done using real acoustic pianos, and not Nords.
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly I don't know a single player who favors Roland pianos over Yamaha. A large part of Motif and CP sales is driven by people who need good pianos that cut through the mix.

I wouldn't go so far to say that the Nords don't beat a 90s Kurz sample though, as iconic as that board is. The look of the Nord definitely helps for brand identity but in my experience (having played one and knowing many players who still do) they're succesful because:

1. The pianos sound good and big at an initial listening session. I played an S90ES and a Stage next to each other at the time and the Nord CLEARLY won.
2. A good selection of quality bread and butter keyboard sounds with very little "fluff". You won't find marimba or gong samples on there but most important keyboard sounds are done well, with some clearly beating the competition (especially pre-Kronos/Motif XF).
3. A good FX section that's instantly understandable and easy to set up.
4. The interface, oh man, that interface. It really is a joy to play. Sometimes I still miss it. For jamming with a band where you don't need a million different sounds it's really great. For someone who puts a lot of value in live control/expression this should really not be underestimated.
5. Free sounds forever. Especially with the later Stages with more memory this is really useful for that one time you do need a marimba.
Kevin Nolan
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And so the debate begins Smile

as said - the models I tried were from 2 - 3 years ago - but - let me make myself very clear - the pianos on the Stage and Electro I played were _significantly_ worse than the K2500XS ROM. I didn't even need to try to listen for the quality issues - they leaped out at me.

The samples, tone, velocity cross fading - all features were instantly noticeably far worse. They were, by a country mile, the worst pianos I had come across since the early 1990's romplers like the M1 and SY77.

No argument on the control surface - but I left my audition session (planning to buy one) literally in shock. I would never, ever buy one. I think they look fantastic and the control surface is fabulous, but the pianos - all of them - even the Fender Rhodes were shocking and atrocious.

2-3 years ago - perhaps they have improved - but I'm talking around 2014 (can't remember the exact date). I even brought in my Sennheiser HD650 headphones to be sure I could listen with superlative quality. I could even hear quantization noise - that's how bad both models were!

I'll say it again - the pianos were pathetic - all of them.
Jan1
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think many hoped that the Montage would include more of this.
Even today that synth looks beautiful. Now that Yamaha is looking back at technologies of the past in order to bring them forward to today I certainly hope they will not overlook their physical modeling technology.
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's useless then to debate this any further, as, in addition to myself, I know a host of professional keyboard players who patently disagree. That has nothing to do with a "cool factor" or the red color. But you're entitled to your opinion, of course.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Latest News All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20
Page 20 of 20

Jump to: