Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Yamaha New Synth with Alien Technology
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 18, 19, 20  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
aron
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Owners manual is up!
http://download.yamaha.com/search/product/?site=usa.yamaha.com&language=en&category_id1=16277&category_id2=16381&category_id3=&product_id=2166246
Derek Cook
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The manual answered my question of whether or or not the Montage will have master keyboard features for external units. It does Smile

Follow kronos.factory development and submit ideas over at the kronos.factory Trello Board

My Echoes Music Website
My Carreg Ddu Music Website
Bachus
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Derek Cook wrote:
The manual answered my question of whether or or not the Montage will have master keyboard features for external units. It does Smile

Yes, and the setup seems straight forward..

To bad, once again these seem to system bound(as with everyone)
But i want them performance based, changing with every live performance i choose.
Bald Eagle
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bald Eagle wrote:
I'm curious about the "Performance Sequencer". Is it just an entire performance and that's it or can you at least add a track, overdub and simple things like that? That would be ok. Could export to a DAW for detailed editing if needed.

The manual answered my question ... You can replace, overdub and punch in a track so at least the sequencer can be used as a basic scratch pad.
Jan1
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a YouTube clip which shows you some practical hands on examples of how the Montage works.

It sounds like a very impressive beast, and I love the liveliness the motion seq can bring to a sound or how the super knob is able to let you morph between a large set of different parameters with just one turn of the knob.
I just wish that Yamaha had at least left some more sequence functionality in the Montage, it's quite handy.

By the way, in the SonicState clip Blake mentioned (around 12:40) that 'over the course of the development of the Montage things will be evolving', which makes me wonder if perhaps this could mean that additional engines may find their way into the Montage, or if it is more related to the specifications of what currently is in the Montage.
Bachus
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jan1 wrote:
Here's a YouTube clip which shows you some practical hands on examples of how the Montage works.

It sounds like a very impressive beast, and I love the liveliness the motion seq can bring to a sound or how the super knob is able to let you morph between a large set of different parameters with just one turn of the knob.
I just wish that Yamaha had at least left some more sequence functionality in the Montage, it's quite handy.

there is a basic sequencer... for recording,,

Seems to me that the US Yamaha demonstrators are not really up for a modern dance oriented beats like Motif..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6k3QSTCQRk

Just check the above youtube, its the first demo that really got my interest peaked..

And below is a comparrison of the Kronos with the Montage (Piano only)

https://youtu.be/g6v58Syl1ZA
Derek Cook
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bachus wrote:
Derek Cook wrote:

Yes, and the setup seems straight forward..

To bad, once again these seem to system bound(as with everyone)
But i want them performance based, changing with every live performance i choose.

I didn't read it that way.

From the top of P43 of the manual.

Quote:
The Master Keyboard function lets you assign up to eight separate Zones in each Performance for use as a master keyboard controller.

I agree if they they are global, then they would be useless to me (like Master mode in the SY99). Master control needs to be in the performance, If I am to consider the Montage as a potential replacement for the EX5, but it sounds like they are.

Follow kronos.factory development and submit ideas over at the kronos.factory Trello Board

My Echoes Music Website
My Carreg Ddu Music Website
EvilDragon
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keywords: EACH PERFORMANCE. Hence, not global.
spaceman3
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know i have been knocking the MONTAGE, but the truth is i really like the darn thing.
Yamaha sure does make great guitar sounds, and from the few ive heard in MONTAGE they sound great.
Plus im sure there are alot of great sounds in MONTAGE.
If i was rich and could add another synth, i would not hesitate to buy one.
It is a pricey perf synth at $3000. for the six model.
Maybe later on i will get me a used MX49 on fleabay, just to get yamaha guitars. Laughing
aron
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I could use that super knob and the motion control for sure. I would love playing that keyboard, but I would not love carrying it around. Will see how long the Kronos lasts, but it will be a really tough decision between a Montage 2 or the next gen of Kronos.
Bachus
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reactions from NAMM seem to confirm a few things..

- It sounds awesome
- It feels like real Synth
- Its not a workstation
- It looks and feels great
- its build like a tank but also has the weight of a tank

- There is a whole lot of things missing when compared to teh Kronos, but also when compared to technollogy in other Yamaha instruments. Its definately no an all in one.

Which means that the Kronos is the only real hardware workstation left.

Adding this on top of your Kronos is definately an option as both instruments add to eachother.
billysynth1
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just for fun...

Can two sound engines knock out 9 sound engines?
Is FMX superior to the synth engines in Kronos?
Are Montage's arps superior to Karma?
Is AWM2 better than Kronos HD1?

I seem to hear a lot more happening in Montage's performance mode, also, does a single FMX sound superior to any of Kronos synth engines?

Just going by what we've heard on the net so far...

I think Korg should be concerned Cool

Billy
I am a student of classical piano...I am not a classical pianist.
EvilDragon
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Korg's MOD7 has 6 operators, FM-X has 8 operators. Then again, MOD7 offers waveshaping and ring modulation, which doesn't seem to be a part of FM-X. There are pros and cons to both, but just by pure numbers, FM-X is more featured when it comes to FM synthesis compared to MOD7 (except it doesn't currently have DX7 patch import, which MOD7 does - which is kind of a letdown, considering it's Yammie who made the DX7. They should've had that patch import option from the get go.)
marc1

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think Korg is concerned in any way.
Why? Because the Kronos is already out there since 5 years and still has a lot more to offer than Montage.

Concerning the sounds of Montage I have to say that i liked the pianos, guitars and some of the string sounds. Strangely I found the strings in the live demos to be very artificial sounding whereas on yammys page the strings (seattle section) sound way more realistic. The guitar sounds have always been a strength of yammy, so no surprise there. But I didn't hear anything outstanding that would have convinced me that AWM2 is truely superior to HD1.

The motion sounds of Montage leave me stone cold, they are boring (IMHO) and i don't think they will leave much of an impression in a professional studio environment with all the superior (and especially cheaper) software out there (Omnisphere, Native Instruments stuff, etc.).

The interface of Montage reminded me of Battery 4, very monotonous and tiresome. Kronos still looks better. It looks more user friendly and simply more fun to work with. Of course everything is highly subjective and the Montage will sell (well?), no doubt about that. But in 2016 I think its simply not enough to update Motif sounds and give 1.75 of user memory at such a high price.

Just my two cents
aron
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

> except it doesn't currently have DX7 patch import

Are you sure? That is a huge letdown.
I really doubt a bunch of people are going to sit down and program the FM part like they did when the DX7 came out.
I would write a converter but I'm not sure this keyboard will sell a lot.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Latest News All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 18, 19, 20  Next
Page 13 of 20

Jump to: