Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Windows and versions and becoming obsolete

View previous topic :: View next topic  
aron
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 8:12 pm    Post subject: Windows and versions and becoming obsolete Reply with quote

Don't want this to become a Windows vs Mac thread. What I want to know is, as Windows progresses, is Windows obsoleting hardware at a rapid pace like the Mac is? In fact, for something like the Surface etc... do programs still run from much older operating systems?

That is the unspoken aspect of the Macintosh and IOS that I don't like. The Mac and iOS tend to break apps routinely and the shelf life of an app is very short - like a couple of years. etc...

So does Windows 10 run the older software pretty well? Do Windows updates break audio interface drivers etc...?
Bald Eagle
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My experience so far is that a large number of apps are forward compatible with Win 10. A good number of device drivers also are although there are exceptions.

If it works on Win 8 there's a good chance that that it works on Win 10. Older versions of Windows are more prone to compatibility issues.
Sharp
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 2 cents.
The life span of hardware has more to do with who manufactured the hardware. Simply put, if they at some point decide to stop writing drivers for the latest OS, then that's not Microsoft's doing, that's the hardware manufacture who has made that decision.

When it comes to windows, this is a very slow process in my opinion. Unlike Apple who do move fast and who can and do also cut off hardware at the OS Level.

Regards
Sharp.
Timo
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sharp wrote:
The life span of hardware has more to do with who manufactured the hardware. Simply put, if they at some point decide to stop writing drivers for the latest OS, then that's not Microsoft's doing, that's the hardware manufacture who has made that decision.

The above nails it. It's all about drivers.

For example, I have a Gigabyte GA-P35-DS4 motherboard released in 2007 (when XP/Vista were current). The motherboard worked great through XP, Vista and Win7 as Gigabyte released drivers available for those OSs. But they dropped native support for Win8/10 drivers for that motherboard. The mobo still works fantastic in Win8.1 (using the older Win7 drivers and additional generic Windows drivers) and Microsoft stated the mobo is also compatible with Win10, but I noticed some latency issues have become apparent when using ASIO at very low latencies, which may or may not be due to the mobo not having native Win 8.1 drivers, or a compatible BIOS. These would not be apparent to the regular user, though, only us geeks.

Again, my equally old graphics card (nVidia GeForce 8800GT) from 2007 still continues to get all the latest compatible drivers from nVidia and works great.

On the other hand, I had a really cheap scanner which had software drivers for XP only, and didn't work from Windows 7 upwards. This was squarely due to the manufacturer and their proprietary drivers.

But Windows, itself, generally succeeds in having decent application back-compatibility in most cases, including generic drivers for most peripherals. They have to, as Microsoft (until recently) have always been a 'software' company who work hard to try to get their software to run on as many machines as possible, as opposed to Apple who are a proprietary software/hardware company.

I still run a few old apps from 2000 (like Emagic SoundDiver, Paintshop Pro, et al), from when Windows 98se and XP were around and everything was in 32-bit, and still have absolutely no problems with the vast majority of them on my current Win8.1 64bit OS.
Derek Cook
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sharp wrote:
My 2 cents.

When it comes to windows, this is a very slow process in my opinion. Unlike Apple who do move fast and who can and do also cut off hardware at the OS Level.

Regards
Sharp.

+1

It really is dependent on Vendor support. But you may be lucky as well even when the vendor no longer provides support.

EG. The Editor for My Nord G2 is working nicely on WIN7 and people have reported it running on WIN8 and WIN10, despite it being discontinued before those OS came out. The trick in that case is to use Clavia's latest USB driver which is generic.

If the worst comes to the worst, I'll consider a virtual XP machine, or a separate XP boot partition.

The only problem I have had in a recent computer update and moving to Cubase 64 is I cannot install Steinberg Groove Agent 2 - it complains about another process for some reason.Other than that, I found 64 bit versions for most things, or the few things that are sill native 32 bit seem to work in Steinberg's own 64/32 bit bridging without having to resort to JBridge.

Follow kronos.factory development and submit ideas over at the kronos.factory Trello Board

My Echoes Music Website
My Carreg Ddu Music Website
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> General Music All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: