Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What will Yamaha's response be?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
benbabylon

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 8:05 am    Post subject: What will Yamaha's response be? Reply with quote

It seems that the Kronos has functions that Yamaha's Motifs simply can't do. And while it could go the other way around as well, it seems that the Kronos's features feel way more "important" and unique than the Motif's unique features. I don't know, maybe just my opinion.

Anyway . . . where do you think Yamaha will go next? Do you think they'll finally implement a touch screen? Or have a more modern user interface? Do you think they will finally implement something similar to smooth sound transitioning?

I'd like to hear what you guys think!
spaceman3
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love yamaha.
I have been a diehard yamaha guy since my first synth, the little analogue cs01.
Had the original motif and it is still among my all time favs.
If yamaha did everything you mentioned and added an ssd drive and built in karma,and a better sequencer, 16 audio track recording, more synth engines,then it would be a monsterously versatile machine.
Thier next workstation probably wont have even half the additional things we have mentioned.
From the first motif in 2001, to the new motif xf, it seems yamaha has only added more rom, ram, and color screen.
They took away the very cool plg synth engine expansion boards.
Then again, they might have something more advanced waiting to be unleashed. Wink
DanielD71

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought my Kronos 2 88 because Yamaha did not add a new keyboard to compete. Still use my motif es6 in my rig.

I won't be selling my s90es.
Regards
DaveKeys

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like Yamaha products - they are well made and well thought through.
I currently have an MG16xu mixer and a DXR10 speaker and they are both excellent.

I do however find that their current synths look and feel dated, uninspiring and unintuitive.
I'm sure that will change with whatever they come up with next.

I think all keyboard manufacturers have to accept that people will expect iPad type usability for future touch screens. If Yamaha get there first, I will certainly be keen to check them out.
lunaluna

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who's Yamaha ?
Synthee

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lunaluna wrote:
Who's Yamaha ?

Laughing
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 2:45 pm    Post subject: Re: What will Yamaha's response be? Reply with quote

benbabylon wrote:
It seems that the Kronos has functions that Yamaha's Motifs simply can't do. And while it could go the other way around as well, it seems that the Kronos's features feel way more "important" and unique than the Motif's unique features. I don't know, maybe just my opinion.

Anyway . . . where do you think Yamaha will go next? Do you think they'll finally implement a touch screen? Or have a more modern user interface? Do you think they will finally implement something similar to smooth sound transitioning?

Reface Wink
jones

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lunaluna wrote:
Who's Yamaha ?

Almost ordered one, got a Honda Gold wing instead.
Bachus
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dare to predict that the next Yamaha workstation is uppon us... probably named Montage and will be at NAMM...

To those following Yamaha it will not be a surprise to see a lot of the technollogy we have seen in other instruments from Yaamaha reface in the Montage...

The soundengine will be an advanced version of what Yamaha/Steinberg did with Halion 5... It will be semi-modular, and support VL, FM, VA, VP and some more different synthesis forms combined in the next itteration of AWM.. also supporting playing samples directly from disk just as Kronos does currently

The arps and the pattern mode will be combined into a new single feature and will also be fully audio capable.

The new Montage will function as a 16 channel audio interface for VST's running on PC or MAC, and work perfectly together with the new version of Cubase, full integration between the two.. You can even send Montage tracks trough VST effects in Cubase and send them back..

atleast 32 tracks multitembrak and 256 voice polyphony..

Yamaha isnt blind, but they had to design new hardware to make this step, and that took them half a decade..

i am also pretty sure that ten years after the Oasys, Korg has an answer to this powerhorse allready brewed up, a Kronos on steroids ..
marc1

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A Kronos competitor at Namm would be very interesting, but I doubt that it's really going to happen. Sure, it seems about time that Yamaha (and maybe Roland) bring out some new workstation, especially since they don't lack the capacity to implement something great.

I could imagine a keyboard vaguely resembling the Kronos in terms of specs but with a superior DAW integration (maybe with a stripped down version of Cubase inside). I would be very excited at Yamahas take on their legacy synths, especially the CS80.
Shambler

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Montage...I was wondering when that might appear.
benbabylon

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spaceman3 wrote:
I love yamaha.
I have been a diehard yamaha guy since my first synth, the little analogue cs01.
Had the original motif and it is still among my all time favs.
If yamaha did everything you mentioned and added an ssd drive and built in karma,and a better sequencer, 16 audio track recording, more synth engines,then it would be a monsterously versatile machine.
Thier next workstation probably wont have even half the additional things we have mentioned.
From the first motif in 2001, to the new motif xf, it seems yamaha has only added more rom, ram, and color screen.
They took away the very cool plg synth engine expansion boards.
Then again, they might have something more advanced waiting to be unleashed. Wink

Oh me too! I have been a huge Yamaha fan too. And Yamaha has been great to me too (they have some of the nicest people working over there). Some of their sounds are just unbeatable. And I think the Kronos and the Motif ES 8 (and original Cool work perfectly together.

In 2001, it seemed as if they were ahead of their time. The original Motif was quite simply the best workstation you could buy. But now . . . they haven't done much to update or modernize it.
benbabylon

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DanielD71 wrote:
I bought my Kronos 2 88 because Yamaha did not add a new keyboard to compete. Still use my motif es6 in my rig.

I won't be selling my s90es.
Regards

Same reason I just bought mine, DanielD71. If I could stay with Yamaha, I would (not that I have anything against Korg — I have just been so familiar with Yamaha for so long I almost feel as if I am betraying them). But they are just not competing with some of the crazy advanced features the Kronos has. And if they are . . . they definitely aren't doing it in an efficient way.
benbabylon

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaveKeys wrote:
I like Yamaha products - they are well made and well thought through.
I currently have an MG16xu mixer and a DXR10 speaker and they are both excellent.

I do however find that their current synths look and feel dated, uninspiring and unintuitive.
I'm sure that will change with whatever they come up with next.

I think all keyboard manufacturers have to accept that people will expect iPad type usability for future touch screens. If Yamaha get there first, I will certainly be keen to check them out.

I'm right with you Dave.
benbabylon

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 10:07 pm    Post subject: Re: What will Yamaha's response be? Reply with quote

GregC wrote:
benbabylon wrote:

Reface Wink

Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: