Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Effects on the Korg MicroStation

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg microSTATION.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Musicwithharry
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 10:29 pm    Post subject: Effects on the Korg MicroStation Reply with quote

Hi,
I got another MS about a month ago. I sold the one I had a few years back and got another one and really enjoy the unit (now that I have taken the time to truly work with it, especially using the editor). I also have a Korg M50 and lots of other synths as well, but wanted to condense my solo show rig to as few as possible. I think that I can do it with the M50, Microstation, and a few other rack units (Ensoniq SQ-R/32 Roland M-SE1 and Korg 05R/W).

When considering effects, I see that we are somewhat limited when it comes to choosing EFX for the whole thing. What I mean is that I cannot find a delay to use for a custom guitar patch that I can put in the IFX slots. I have to use a Double EFX Delay thing and that uses up both of the MFX slots.

With that said, I cannot seem to load a Reverb in an IFX slot either, nor can I put it in the TFX slot. So while I have a glorious guitar sound (using 2 IFX and the Double MFX), the rest of the mix is flat without any reverb at all. I am forced to use an external Reverb unit (Alesis MicroVerb) to effect (no pun intended) the entire mix of the MS.

Am I missing something here or am I right in assuming that we are indeed limited in the EFX that we can use in the IFX categories?

The sounds on the MS are quite good but noticeably lacking on certain sounds, which is why I use those types of sounds on the M50 instead (the M50 sequencer controls everything as well). The Microstation is actually set up to be a layering synth, with the exception of the lead guitar sound I made, as well as the Oboe sounds on my orchestral pieces (and I trigger those from the M50 keyboard anyway). Other than that, it provides a layer to the M50 (and the three rack units) to fatten up the sound that normally takes 8 synths to do (am just don't want to lug all that gear to a gig, and the PA system as well. Those racks get heavy at the end of the gig, especially up stairs).

Can you confirm my findings? I looked through our forum for the MS and read something about the EFX but just wanted to get a confirmation on it.

Grace,
Harry
Alesis Vortex Keytar, Alesis QS6.2, Alesis QSR, Alesis SR-16, Behringer Deepmind-12, Ensoniq Avista 7600, Ensoniq VFX, Ensoniq VFX-SD, Ensoniq SQ1+, (2) Ensoniq SQ-R+/32, Korg i3 (2020 Version), (2) Korg Kross 1-61, (2) Korg Kross 1-88, Korg Minilogue XD, Korg Minilogue XD Module, Korg M50-61, Korg PA700, Korg X5DR, Korg Z3, Kurzweil SP1, Lowrey EZP3 (bascially a Kawai), Roland D-05, Roland E-09, Waldorf Streichfett, Yamaha Reface CP, Yamaha Reface CS, Yamaha Reface DX, Yamaha Reface YC
mocando
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coming from a M50, I also found the sad truth. Although, not all is lost. If you design your effects well, you might end up fitting most of them on a patch.

I was having the same issue like you, ending with a pretty dry sound due to the lack of reverb, since delay took its slot. And with the help of Dan Stesco, I was able to emulate a delay effect using a combi, thus freeing the slot for reverb.

Check the article here: https://korgfans.wordpress.com/2015/09/24/fake-delay/

Korg Gear: Wavestation
Korg Software: KLC Wavestation, iWavestation for iPad
Non Korg: M-Audio Code 61 MIDI Controller, Nektar GX49 MIDI Controller
Music Computing: 16in Macbook Pro with Touch Bar Mid 2019, i9 32GB RAM 2TB Flash, MacOS Catalina - 2019 iPad Air 64GB
Software: Apple MainStage, Arturia V Collection 7, Arturia OB-Xa V
Visit: Synth Fans :: Everything Synths Twitter: @korgfans
Musicwithharry
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mocando wrote:
Coming from a M50, I also found the sad truth. Although, not all is lost. If you design your effects well, you might end up fitting most of them on a patch.

I was having the same issue like you, ending with a pretty dry sound due to the lack of reverb, since delay took its slot. And with the help of Dan Stesco, I was able to emulate a delay effect using a combi, thus freeing the slot for reverb.

I had read that link as well before posting here. I was not sure that it would apply to me, but I may give it a shot. The main lead sound that I am using on the MS is a custom guitar patch that I made and using the multi-tap delay thingy really works well. I am also triggering the sound via MIDI from the M50 since I am also trigger local sounds on the M50 as well. I may actually have to create a patch that utilizes three or four of the same guitar sounds and simply find a way to stage the delay of each one to simulate the sound the multi-tap is doing for me. Then I can use a reverb in the MS.

Or,. I could just leave it alone and run an outboard reverb Smile

I am also experiencing some distortion on the drums when the guitar patch is too loud, so I think that I am overloading the outputs, even though the level is fine going into my mixer. I may need to put a Limiter in the TFX slot on the MS to stop the distortion from happening.

Thank you for the link Smile
Grace,
Harry
Alesis Vortex Keytar, Alesis QS6.2, Alesis QSR, Alesis SR-16, Behringer Deepmind-12, Ensoniq Avista 7600, Ensoniq VFX, Ensoniq VFX-SD, Ensoniq SQ1+, (2) Ensoniq SQ-R+/32, Korg i3 (2020 Version), (2) Korg Kross 1-61, (2) Korg Kross 1-88, Korg Minilogue XD, Korg Minilogue XD Module, Korg M50-61, Korg PA700, Korg X5DR, Korg Z3, Kurzweil SP1, Lowrey EZP3 (bascially a Kawai), Roland D-05, Roland E-09, Waldorf Streichfett, Yamaha Reface CP, Yamaha Reface CS, Yamaha Reface DX, Yamaha Reface YC
mocando
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Musicwithharry wrote:
mocando wrote:

I had read that link as well before posting here. I was not sure that it would apply to me, but I may give it a shot. The main lead sound that I am using on the MS is a custom guitar patch that I made and using the multi-tap delay thingy really works well. I am also triggering the sound via MIDI from the M50 since I am also trigger local sounds on the M50 as well. I may actually have to create a patch that utilizes three or four of the same guitar sounds and simply find a way to stage the delay of each one to simulate the sound the multi-tap is doing for me. Then I can use a reverb in the MS.

Or,. I could just leave it alone and run an outboard reverb Smile

I am also experiencing some distortion on the drums when the guitar patch is too loud, so I think that I am overloading the outputs, even though the level is fine going into my mixer. I may need to put a Limiter in the TFX slot on the MS to stop the distortion from happening.

Thank you for the link Smile
Grace,
Harry

Anytime. I also experienced some distortion on one of my sounds, particularly the rotating speaker one. It appears is a bit prone to distortion. Just have to tweak down the effects a bit.

I also believe you'll be better with an outboard reverb. I'll live with the effects limitation for the time being, but I plan to eventually upgrade to a Krome.

Korg Gear: Wavestation
Korg Software: KLC Wavestation, iWavestation for iPad
Non Korg: M-Audio Code 61 MIDI Controller, Nektar GX49 MIDI Controller
Music Computing: 16in Macbook Pro with Touch Bar Mid 2019, i9 32GB RAM 2TB Flash, MacOS Catalina - 2019 iPad Air 64GB
Software: Apple MainStage, Arturia V Collection 7, Arturia OB-Xa V
Visit: Synth Fans :: Everything Synths Twitter: @korgfans
Musicwithharry
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought about eh Krome myself, but am still not sure of it. I played a Krome 88 when I lived in Texas (about 2 years ago) and while I liked the piano patches but they seemed to have a warbling quality to them when you sustained the notes for a really long time. This may not be noticeable too much in an ensemble, but playing solo piano, it was quite evident.

I may just opt for an M50-88. There are lots of good piano programs out there for it and it can still hold its own in so many cases.

Even the Kross 88 would be okay in many cases Smile

To be honest, I would still love to have the old OASYS88 over just about all of them. The build quality is unsurpassed by anything else on the market, even now (IMHO).

When I bought the MS the first time, I had a PA500 as well and thought that it would bode well for a layering board onstage, but I never took the time to really get deep with it, and that is why I sold it. Now that I have one again, I have taken much more time to get deep in it. There is a lot of usable stuff in it and for a second board or for layering it is a good fit.

I am not really into the softsynth stuff; I prefer the hardware synths whenever I can. With that said, I have used iGrand on an album I did in late 2013 and the piano sound was really good Smile

Grace,
Harry
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg microSTATION. All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: