Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tips/tricks/patches etc for KingKorg
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
noguud

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 3:35 pm    Post subject: Tips/tricks/patches etc for KingKorg Reply with quote

Hi all,

I thought I would test the waters and see if we could get some discussion or sharing going on for cool patches, tricks, or other things you may discover on this synth.

I'm not really the type who wants to download things, maybe it's laziness, but I would really rather read and/or watch someone do something instead so I can learn something.

So, I'll share some patches I've put together over time (maybe 1-2 a week or so if I can keep up with it) and hope to see some other users do it as well!

I by no means claim to be an expert or claim to make things that will sound great to you - but if you take the time to try things out and have any feedback/pointers/suggestions then by all means give it! Again, my goal is learning and it won't happen if you are silent.
noguud

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, so here is my first submission. It's a very 80's sounding DX type of patch. I have a soft spot for these sounds, although I know many out there dislike it. I'll share pads/bass sounds in the future that are hopefully a little more contemporary, I promise.

So, I started with Program 150 "VPM Piano". To me this sounds to dark/muffled/soft but seemed like it had promise. (Side note: both my son and my wife like the original better than the outcome of all I will describe, so read on at your own risk Wink)

Since I started with a factory patch, I'm only going to detail the changes. If you over-wrote the factory patch already, well following this will give different results!

Lets start with the oscs:
Osc1 Mod Depth = 6 (gives a little more metallic sound)

Osc2 Semitone = -12 (little more deep sound for bass notes)
Osc2 Mod Depth = 7 (again, I like the metallic edge)

Osc3 Mod Depth = 8 (am I predictable yet?)

Mixer section:
Osc2 = 53 (I think this bass-ier sound needs to be buried a bit to even it out)
Osc3 = 20 (this will brighten the tone which I like)

Filter section:
Cutoff = 80 (again I want it brighter sounding, and I don't mind the metallic edge)
VeloSens = 10 (I'm trying to make the sound more dynamic for softer to harder key hits)

Amp section
Level = 108 (just making about same loudness as factory patches)
Keytrack = -6 (slight modification to increase metallic edge on lower notes)

EG1&2, LFO1&2 Sections -> no changes!

V Patch Sections
No changes!

Pitch Section
No changes!

PreFX
No changes!

ModFX
Chorus: Depth = 65

Reverb
Hall: Depth = 58

That's all, folks. If anyone has the time to try this out, again I'm open to feedback or improvements you may find!
Narioso

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will try that, thank you.

Things I found very interesting working with Nord series synths are velocity scaling to time parameters in ADSR's.

So once having patches you find good, also try variations fiddling with the virtual patches and velocity source to the ADSR parameters.

First you have the global settings to scale ADSR levels over keyboard range - then also discover virtual patches and what you can do - almost endless abilities in KK. A dozen sources maybe and 25-30 destinations. Virtual patch got 6 virtual patches for each timbre, and each voice is two timbres. So dive into that.

I find that vital to get a sound that responds differently in timbre depending on how you play it. Like a piano or rhodes or wurly etc.

In Nord it's really clever approach to doing this - just set any knob where min value is to be, then activate velocity button and turn any knob to max position and done(velocity button can be turned off again). Now velocity will scale itself between these values - for any knob on panel.
noguud

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Narioso,

Yes, I really like patches that have some dynamics related to velocity. The previous patch I modified already had some of that built in, but I did try to expand on it some.

I'm looking forward to any feedback or ideas you may have once you have your kingkorg!
noguud

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright, here's my second submission. This was a start from scratch effort for me, so I'll give my steps assuming you initialize a patch.

This is a pad that has a little bit of rhythmic background motion to it with a second timbre, and uses a trick I found in one of the factory patches (not sure which one, I forget!) As it turns out, the P5 filters do not need an oscillator enabled to give some output, which is pretty cool and taken advantage of here. It may be more (or all but I don't think so) of the filters can do this, not sure.

Lets start with the oscs:
Osc 1 = Triangle
Tune = +5
Waveform = 0

Osc 2 = Res Noise
Tune = -7
Resonance = 127
Noise Decay = 95

Mixer section:
Osc1 = 117
Osc2 = 44

Filter section:
LPF P5
Cutoff = 65
Res = 67
EG1Int = +32
LFO1ModInt = -10
LFO1&JS-Y = -30
Keytrck = -0.20

Amp section
Level = 100

EG1 Section
Attack = 48
Decay = 66
Sustain = 85
Release = 64
LevlVelInt = -03

EG2 Section
Attack = 40
Decay = 13
Sustain = 127
Release = 119
LevlVelInt = +01

LFO1 Section
Triangle
Freq = 0.20

LFO2 Section
Sine
Freq = 5.0

V Patch Sections
VP1 = LFO1 -> Osc1Tune -> Int = +8
VP2 = LFO2 -> Osc1Ctrl -> Int = +4
VP3 = LFO1 -> LFO2Freq -> Int = -12
VP4 = LFO2 -> Panpot -> Int = -5
VP5 = LFO1 -> Mod Speed -> Int = +10
VP6 = LFO2 -> Osc2Ctrl2 -> Int = +5

Pitch Section
LFO2ModInt = +1
LFO2&JS+Y = +0040
Bendrange = +12
AnalogTune = 20

Now let's add the second timbre:

Common section
VoiceMode = Layer

Now select timbre B

Osc section:
All Oscs = Off

Mixer section:
All Osc = 127 (but don't think this matters)

Filter section:
BPF P5
Cutoff = 86
Res = 127
EG1Int = -36
LFO1ModInt = -50

Amp section
Level = 24

EG1 Section
Attack = 127
Decay = 109
Sustain = 83
Release = 127

EG2 Section
Attack = 117
Decay = 68
Sustain = 127
Release = 65

LFO1 Section
S&H
Freq = 3.25

LFO2 Section
Random
Freq = 6.0

V Patch Sections
VP1 = LFO2 -> PanPot -> Int = +63
VP2 = LFO2 -> Resonance -> Int = +10 (hmm, in my patch but not sure this actually does anything anymore!!!)
VP3 = JS-Y -> Amplevel -> Int = -63

Pitch Section
LFO2&JS+Y = +0120
Bendrange = +2
AnalogTune = 005

PreFX
B timbre only
Tone = L28

ModFX
Both A & B Timbres
Chorus: Depth = 94, Speed = 0

Reverb
A timbre only
Hall: Depth = 127, Time = 127
Narioso

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder what chances are to create life here in this forum - odds are likely as creating human civilisation on mars or something.

If to give it half a chance - I think what is needed is single presets and audio sample to go with it - so anybody can check it out if they find it interesting.

Not sure if librarian is capable of handling single presets, but will check.

One issue is that you cannot attach anything when posting here, so you would also need a place to host presets and audio.

And finally, are people that put a lot of effort into making presets, to find unique sounds for their recordings or whatever also willing to give that away.

Odds are slim this will take off.
noguud

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Narioso wrote:
I wonder what chances are to create life here in this forum - odds are likely as creating human civilisation on mars or something.

If to give it half a chance - I think what is needed is single presets and audio sample to go with it - so anybody can check it out if they find it interesting.

Not sure if librarian is capable of handling single presets, but will check.

One issue is that you cannot attach anything when posting here, so you would also need a place to host presets and audio.

And finally, are people that put a lot of effort into making presets, to find unique sounds for their recordings or whatever also willing to give that away.

Odds are slim this will take off.

Agreed - I may create a soundcloud account to give samples of the sounds. I think half the fun is building them though, and well what I'm typing out is just a starting point. I was hoping people would take it, twist it, share it, and I'd learn something cool. It probably takes 3-4 minutes to read this and make all the settings match...

Anyways, I'll probably do a couple more and if there's no interest I'll cry myself to sleep for a week and then continue on by myself. Wacky
Narioso

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

noguud wrote:

Anyways, I'll probably do a couple more and if there's no interest I'll cry myself to sleep for a week and then continue on by myself. Wacky

Let's hope it does not come to that.
Laughing

I've seen such sites for Digitech multieffect pedals, Fender FUSE software combinations of stomp pedals and amps etc - and it's not taking off really.

Maybe a dozen enthusiasts contribute.

Searched youtube for KK stuff, and there are a few giving presets away and some charge.

Agree that fun part is exploring and diving into it all.

I don't know if there are any tuts that guide in synthesis regarding modulations, maybe books even.
Lando2

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tried the same two years ago. I wish you better luck Very Happy

So that was my posting:

Hi Kingkorgfans,

The Kingkorg has a lot of usable presets but programming your own individual sounds makes a lot of fun too!

Why dont we share tips and tricks for programming in this thread?

So I will start.

How to program bassdrum, snare and hihat in a single timbre.

Start with an initialized patch.

You need for this two oscillators.
Oscillator 1 is responsible for the bassdrum and the bottom of the snare. Therefore use a sinewave and tune it down an octave.

Oscillator 2 brings the spectrum for the noisy part of the snare and the hihat. So choose white noise as oscillator 2.

Next step is to program the characteristical piuuuu of drums. Go to the virtual patches and patch EG1 to pitch with an intensity of +63. Then you have to adjust the envelope 1. Use an attack of 0, a short decay, sustain of 0, and a short release time.

Then change to envelope 2 and choose simular values for the amp modulation.

So where are we so far?

We programmed the spectrums of our drums and how does it sound now?
In the lowest octave you can hear something like a snarebassdrum:-)
In the next octave there is something like a snaredrum and the upper oczaves it didnt sound like a hihat at all cause you hear too much of the sinewaves piiuuuu.

So lets get rid off the noise in the lowest octave and the sine in the upper octaves. Therfore go to virtual patch two. Modulate the volume of oscillator 2 by keytrack with full intensity.

Now the noise in the lowest octave disappeared.

Next step is easy. Virtual patch3 keytrack modulates oscillator 1 level with an intensity of -63.

Now the sine disappeared in the higher notes but it still doesnt sound like a hihat, because we use a wrong filter.

Choose a 4pole HPF, for instance the HPF King and set the filter keytrack to +2.00.

Now you here in the upper octave a hihat sound, but our bassdrum in the lowest octave disappeared.

You have to adjust the filtercutoff, put it to about 62.

Now you can hear in the lowest octave the bassdrum, in the next octave the snaredrum and in the highest octave the hihat.

If you turn the resonance half up, you can push the snare a bit more.

If you want to you can have an open hihat too. Therefore turn the release time of the ampenvelope up to maybe 100. When you now play very short notes you have an open hihat, by long notes a closed hihat. But this can be problematic by fast rhythms.

So you see the key to this sound is the keytrack parameter. You can use it in this timbre again to adjust the volumes of the three sounds.

From this basis you can start to individualize your drums. Try different filtersettings, decayamounts and effects, maybe a subtle reverb or anything what you want, but dont forget the tube:-)

So that was my first tip. I hope i can read soon tips of you and feedback is always welcome.

Greetings Lando

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:20 am Post subject:
noguud

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fantastic and exactly what I was looking for - thanks! That was informative and I learned from your workflow. I'm new to the synth tweaking, and have been struggling to find good use for the HP filters. I like the use of keytracking too. Probably obvious to you, but not to me, so thanks again.

Also, I probably should have done a search. I scrolled back through the pages here and read the thread titles, but must have missed your thread.

I'll post more soon, this weekend disappeared too fast.

Mad
noguud

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One new trick I learned watching the Youtube demos for the SoundTower editor (which looks nice BTW):

Take a simple sound on timbre 1, copy (layer) it to timbre 2, then pan them hard left and right. The guy in the video thought it sounded wider from the "analog" tune control, but it sounds interesting and wider even with that set to zero. You get a volume increase & a slow beat note almost... So I guess rather than shifting where a single mono signal lives in the L/R field, it is stacking two mono (left and right) signals on top of each other when you pan a timbre?

I thought it was interesting to take some of the simple patches I made that were a single timbre and try this trick...
mathieudaenekyndt

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I created a synth sound quite similar to the one used in "every teardrop is a waterfall" by Coldplay.
If someone wants to hear or know about it, I can post my settings and a sound file Smile
noguud

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never heard the song before, not a bad tune. Sure, I'm interested in what you made if you'd like to share.

I've made a few more patches (pad, electric piano sound) and I've been meaning to post them. I got ideas for starter patches from youtube videos then tweaked on the Kingkorg and got pretty good results.

A little off topic, but I wish the documentation had more info on what the variations of the DW oscillators were supposed to be. Feels like a bit of trial and error trying different sine / wave / digital variations...
mathieudaenekyndt

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for the elapsed time since my last post.
Here is the preset : https://www.dropbox.com/s/isxklas8zt2ehxj/teardrop%20syn.kkprog?dl=0
and here is a preview from the sound : https://www.dropbox.com/s/kwoagkvggpcd689/teardrop%20syn.mp3?dl=0

Don't hesitate to give any feedback Wink
And feel free to use it, of course !
jeremykeys
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread actually has a lot going for it! My thing is that when I program I don't keep any notes of what I've done. I just keep twiddling knobs until I get something that works for me.

I hope this thread doesn't end though. We need a lot more people with your kind of interest and intensity!

Hope you manage to keep the thing going!
Gear: Kronos 73, Triton Pro-X, Wavestation EX, Polysix, King Korg, Monotron and Monotron Duo, Minikorg, Moog Grandmother, 1 Roland U-20, Hammond M3, 4 acoustic and 6 electric guitars, 1 Ibanez 5 string bass, a bunch of microphones and other very cool toys, 1 wife and 3 cats!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg KingKORG All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: