Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is It Really Worth Getting?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DrHoo
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's makes for interesting listening & viewing, has some fab gear & puts it together well.

This kind of demonstration SHOULD be enough to convince anyone teetering on the edge of buying one. I'm not involved in sales so don't misunderstand me there !

For the record, i would not want to be without mine now. It just fits into anything i want it to. Wink
el_hombre

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
For the record, i would not want to be without mine now. It just fits into anything i want it to.

Same here.
I've had mine since April (I think I must've got one of the first shipment) and I love it.
I've gigged with it, recorded with it, had heaps of fun making stupid noises round the house with it, and at other times been completely baffled by it. But I love it.
Noise? I dunno, I've never heard anything that bothered me, and particularly not once it's in the mix with other instruments.
Love using it live, it really cuts through.
The only thing that did cause me some issue for a while was the shape and finding a solution to carrying it around.
Korg have issued a carry bag that solves this though so that's definitely worth a purchase as well for the gigging musician...
peteone

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

didn't read the whole thread, but I am hoping you got it I just got mine worth EVERY penny Love it!
section4

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got mine a week ago after 9 months of waiting.. Fun as hell ! I had a MS-20 + MS-50 about 15 years ago so it brings back a lot of fond memories. Kronos emulates it quite good but I've made some patches on the Mini that my Kronos was unable to replicate due to slight randomness in the LFO.

The noise in the filter is there.. but it was present (and slightly worse) on my old "original" MS-20 as well. Adds nice character to the sound Smile

In about 15 years it will sound as my old one..

Now I want a MS-50 Mini ! Very Happy
Other gear: Akai S6000, Akai VX90, Kawai K5000S, Virus TI, Roland D-110, Roland MKS-30 + DT200
peteone

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

section4 wrote:
Got mine a week ago after 9 months of waiting.. Fun as hell ! I had a MS-20 + MS-50 about 15 years ago so it brings back a lot of fond memories. Kronos emulates it quite good but I've made some patches on the Mini that my Kronos was unable to replicate due to slight randomness in the LFO.

The noise in the filter is there.. but it was present (and slightly worse) on my old "original" MS-20 as well. Adds nice character to the sound Smile

In about 15 years it will sound as my old one..

Now I want a MS-50 Mini ! Very Happy

i'm hoping they will announce ms-50 mini for NAMM !!
DrHoo
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hope they actually release something in the same series. They certainly kicked up a storm & a surprise when they announced the ms20m so you never know eh ?
I'm optimistic ,hopeful but only time will tell.
Rolling Eyes
el_hombre

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If they release the MS50 and/or the SQ10 in the mini format, surely those would sell like hotcakes to the same punks (ie us) that bought to MS20 Mini!
I know I'd be raiding my piggybank to aquire both of these bad boys!
el_hombre

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just googled the MS50 to have a look at what extras it has over the 20, #@$%, Korg, you REALLY need to reissue that bad boy, STAT!
Redmond Barry

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the MS-50 would sell a ton. Desktop synths are popular right now, and all the people that complained about the Mini's keys would be satisfied. Everyone who bought the Mini would buy it as well. If they did the SQ-10 but tweaked it so you had the option to do V/Oct as well then it'd be a highly sought after sequencer I think!
section4

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

el_hombre wrote:
Just googled the MS50 to have a look at what extras it has over the 20, #@$%, Korg, you REALLY need to reissue that bad boy, STAT!

Yes! that would be really nice. The oscillator on MS-50 could output all waveforms separately and unlike MS-20 the PWM was controlable. The divider I remember was quite useful and last but not least, the junctions !

Coupled together with a MS-20 you had one kick ass modular.. Very Happy
Other gear: Akai S6000, Akai VX90, Kawai K5000S, Virus TI, Roland D-110, Roland MKS-30 + DT200
el_hombre

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm getting ready to start purchasing modules to put together a dotcom modular, but I owuld be sorely tempted by a reissue of the MS50. Particularly in the mini format. I actually really like the mini format Korg went with because it's now small enough to be classed as carryon luggage when I fly with it:)

Last edited by el_hombre on Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Oldretro

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I played the MS20 mini, and I must say that I am impressed by how close it sounds to the original. I have the Legacy, Kronos and the original. You can clesrly hear it's a real analog, Both Legacy and Kronos have similar character, but just miss the fulness of the real analog versions (though Legacy and Kronos can be played polyphonic). So my next buy will de an MS20 mini. BTW, Korg really should considder an MS50 (and SQ10) as well. I'm convinced they will sell like hot cakes, just like the MS20 mini (still months long waiting lists).
censustaker

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The MS20 mini is easily one of the best instrument purchases I've ever made.
mmarsh

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To the OP: yes.
LivePsy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a ton of MS-20's out there now as original, software emulations and new hardware. It won't give you unique sounds because everyone is doing it too. The major gripes are it is hard to have separate envelopes for amp and filter. EG2 cannot be disconnected from the amp. All sounds have to go through the amp. Yes, there are work arounds. No, it is not fully patchable.

The good news is the sounds are easy to conjure up and the high pass is extremely useful. I now realise a dedicated high pass is so important for any synth. The MS-20 wants you to explore and randomly try things for fun.

I have used the MS-20 engine on the Kronos and cannot fall in love with it. Limited knob control kills creativity for me. In fact I had a less favourable opinion of the MS-20 because of the software version. Fortunately I bought the kit anyway because the full hardware interface is worth it.

B
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> KORG MS20 All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7

Jump to: