Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

PA4x Questions (and answers)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bachus
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

double post...

Last edited by Bachus on Thu Oct 15, 2015 4:51 am; edited 1 time in total
Bachus
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eduardo_Arg wrote:
Hi Friends:

As few members could test new PA4x, some critisize are unfair.-
Most manufactures don't put all in manual, sometimes because the market hurrys them up, so unintentionally they omit hide functions.-
Manuals - although incomplete - give us an idea of what will do the product, but in our case, surelly after it's introduce in market, may be software upgrades of SO, that will correct actual missing functions. This had happend with lots of brands, and Korg is not an exeption, and allways upgrades appear (sooner o later).-
I've reading some aspect on Advance manual, as Multisamples list, and being honest, it's more extensive than M3, so this lets me suppose EDS X engine is more powerfull than my one.-
Bachus: First i think "this man is a lazzy", but later i rethink "he is too anxious".- I know that most arranger users choose this type of kyb because inmediately then can play decent music. But take in count that more powerfull is the keyboads SO, more time you must invest "to get all the juice".- Great keyboardist invest (as well as money) lots of hours to reach or create the sound they want, or to create a pattern; it's a rule acepted for any musician: music requires investing time and effort.-
Korg instruments since the begining of 90's are the most flexible ones in the market, no other brand (keyboard manufacturer) gives you this sound flexibility, and in the easy way as Korg.- Please try developing a complex sound (multilayer) on Roland, Nord, Kursweill, and then we'll talk about.-
With regards.
Eduardo

Eduardo, did you ever realise that the major group of arranger players just like me are medicore musicians at best... that most of the time just want to sit down and play.. Thats not lazy.. tough it is an attitude..
Its lovely to have all those great tools at hand to create those awesome sounds in PA4x, but i have a daytime job and spend about 2 hours a day behind my keyboards... most of that time i still spend improving and honing my player skills and playing new musicall pieces.
And the rest of the time i spend trying to create my own compositions. I dont have much time less to create my own sounds, tough i have a braod collection of personalised sounds i bought and eddited to my liking with that collection i can create allmost every sound i want..

To be honest, i personally prefer easy ways to aquire quick results, like quickly edditring a sound, or even better, adding an effect to it to get the sound i want

In the end thats probably why i am still happy i moved from pa3x to tyros5, ajnd feel very much at home with my Yamaha.. Which does not make the pa3x a bad instrument, far from that, as you said it has an enormous depth under the hood...

Same goes for the Kronos, to me the Kronos is a huge collection of near to perfect sounds.. i use mostly the content the keyboard gives me and love the expansion packs that add even more different content.. quick changes to sound are okay... but i am not into sampling and totally recreating new sounds mostly because i lack the time to do so..

Thats why i prefer instruments with lots and lots of presets and even more Memmory to load more great sounds.. and in the best case a few knobs to the most important parameters of those sounds )like NI kontakt) to quickly change them.. I dont like diving deep into the sound engine changing parameters under the hood..

Most of my opinions also are heavilly influenced by my daytime job, i am an engineer allways looking for innovations and how to implement them in my organisation... Most of my irritations towards the music arranger buiseness come from the fact that they are using age old technollogy and cant add the features that i know are quite easy archievable with todays technollogy..

In the end i think we all have the same goal, and thats create music that makes us happy and sounds as best as possibble (for some best as possible equalls perfect)

I agree with you that result=time invested

I hope this helps to explain my PoV
KONNECTORAS

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eduardo_Arg wrote:
Hi Friends:

As few members could test new PA4x, some critisize are unfair.-
Most manufactures don't put all in manual, sometimes because the market hurrys them up, so unintentionally they omit hide functions.-
Manuals - although incomplete - give us an idea of what will do the product, but in our case, surelly after it's introduce in market, may be software upgrades of SO, that will correct actual missing functions. This had happend with lots of brands, and Korg is not an exeption, and allways upgrades appear (sooner o later).-
I've reading some aspect on Advance manual, as Multisamples list, and being honest, it's more extensive than M3, so this lets me suppose EDS X engine is more powerfull than my one.-
Bachus: First i think "this man is a lazzy", but later i rethink "he is too anxious".- I know that most arranger users choose this type of kyb because inmediately then can play decent music. But take in count that more powerfull is the keyboads SO, more time you must invest "to get all the juice".- Great keyboardist invest (as well as money) lots of hours to reach or create the sound they want, or to create a pattern; it's a rule acepted for any musician: music requires investing time and effort.-
Korg instruments since the begining of 90's are the most flexible ones in the market, no other brand (keyboard manufacturer) gives you this sound flexibility, and in the easy way as Korg.- Please try developing a complex sound (multilayer) on Roland, Nord, Kursweill, and then we'll talk about.-
With regards.
Eduardo

I had the opportunity to make extensive tests to the first PA4X available at the central importer for our country.
So every word I say is multiply tested ON the instrument.

Being also a pro user for the PA3X for the last 4 years, had no difficulties to see the pros and cons...

PA4X is a very strange chapter in KORG's history.
It reminds me very very much the KRONOS's first generation disaster.

As far as Performance splitting and layering is concerned, it takes just some seconds...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Dikikeys

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: start Korg Pa4X Reply with quote

Bachus wrote:
korgpask wrote:
Korg Pa4X 76 + 300 MB wav samples in RAM = 1:34 time Very Happy

thats bad, Tyros 5 with 2GB samples is 5 secconds

The T5 isn't loading the samples in... The ROM sounds are in, well, ROM (not the RAM system Korg use, which makes it easy to add newer sounds or edit the factory sample data when problems are found) and User samples go into Flash RAM, which is functionally the same as ROM.

But try to LOAD 2GB into a T5, and you wait for one or two HOURS Shocked

Apples to apples, if you please... Twisted Evil
Eduardo_Arg

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Bachus and friends:

Please forgive me is i ofend you with my POV.-
I don't want to say you are a lazy man; what happens is that i've been playing different since last 25 years, so it's for me crystal clear that if i want to get the best of any keyboard, i must invest really too much hours.-
As you, i exchange my time between my work (lawyer) and my band (as a half proffesional member), and again as you, when i reach home from work or on rehearsals what i want is sitting down and play.-
It's true that time is only one, and never enough to do what we want.-
Although, i reach that it's neccesary to destinate at least one o two hours a day to know in deep my instrument and get all he could give.-
About potentially of Korg instrument, there is any doubt about it's enormus posibilities.- Multisamples are in some way a personal taste; since 90's till i get my first Triton, i allways said Roland acoustic pianos are the best of the best.- But since i bought my first Korg, everything was keept in doubt.-
Then i bought M3, and since then Roland loose his crown to Korg.-
Last week i must play a Roland RD700Nx with it's "supernatural", and been honest, Kronos German Grand Piano is years light from Roland (at least for my ears), Strings, Choirs, and Acoustic Guitar (just as example) are billons years light from Roland.-
New sound engine on PA4x is quite similar as Krome, the small brother of Kronos, and never forget that with Korg you can create "your sound" anytime from point 0.-
Every musician must agree with it's instrument in all senses, my keyboard it's a part of my body, so if i want to play right, i must feel confortably with it.- Till now, only Korg let me feel really confortably.-
I'm not your or anybody enemie, just i've a different point of view.-
With regards.
Eduardo
Dikikeys

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apples to apples, please, Eduardo. It's hardly fair to compare an arranger's sounds to the TOTL Workstation. Especially in one direction. There are MANY arranger sounds (particularly those that use DNC/SA2/SN) that blow some of the Kronos's sounds away.

It isn't all a one way street!

You've also compared an older Roland with the latest Korg. Surely an RD800/Kronos would be better or fairer a comparison? Not to mention price. An extra grand ought to get you SOMETHING, surely! Rolling Eyes

But, on an arranger forum, it's a bit disingenuous to compare WS sounds with an arranger's. The WS, no matter how good the raw sounds, will never be able to do what an arranger does. And, for an arranger user, that's pretty much IT... It don't MATTER how good the sounds are if it don't play styles!

We've been stuck in this 'Why doesn't an arranger have everything a WS does?' whine-fest for years (decades!), but the same people complaining seem aghast at even the price of a Tyros5, and there is NO WAY you can stick two TOTL products together and the price not be almost the sum of them both! Sure, if there were a market for an $8000 arranger, you might see one, but let's be honest...

There isn't. At least, not in sufficient numbers to make it worth while.

The solution is easy. As you have found out. BUY BOTH...! Twisted Evil

Arranger players are so strange... You really don't see many people on WS forums complaining that it isn't an arranger AS WELL, despite many of what the arranger stuff would add being quite useful. Somehow, those people seem to understand they are different FOR A REASON.

Why do we have such an issue with that? Wink
karmathanever
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bachus wrote:
Tyros 5 with 2GB samples is 5 secconds

This and other Tyros fast "loading" times comments have confused me.
Diki wrote:
The T5 isn't loading the samples in...

This was my understanding - the "plus" for the Tyros is that it becomes playable in a few seconds but the samples continue to load in the background
This is definitely what happened on my Tyros but I can't speak for Tyros 5 - is T5 really that magical????

Pete Very Happy
...and play lots of music Very Happy
------------------------------------------------------------------
Dikikeys

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

T5, from my understanding, uses Flash RAM... a type of RAM that DOESN'T lose its data when you switch the arranger off. So it isn't actually loading anything, it is like old fashioned ROM. It is instantly ready as soon as the device is ready to go. There is no streaming...
Bachus
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dikikeys wrote:
T5, from my understanding, uses Flash RAM... a type of RAM that DOESN'T lose its data when you switch the arranger off. So it isn't actually loading anything, it is like old fashioned ROM. It is instantly ready as soon as the device is ready to go. There is no streaming...

and same goes for the OS... its allready loade... much like a modern PC booting quickly from sleep...

Push the ON button and you will be playing in 5 secconds..
KONNECTORAS

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a major difference between actual loading time and boot time.

Load time stands for the initial load of the user samples in the keyboard.
While boot time is the time the keyboard needs to start operating, with the samples already loaded from a previous session.

So if you try to load 2BG samples in Tyros 5, you might need some hours.
But next time boot time will be some seconds.
It is flash rom rules there...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
AntonySharmman
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want to remind all you that any flash memory even latest SSD's speed is at least 1000 times slower than required samples read speed
for real time reproduction , except DDR Ram or the expensive photographic layers nand flash Rom of macronix (read only).

All latest sample keyboards are definatenly loading the real time reproduced samples in an existing board Ram and only loading method differs !
- Fast booting devices never load samples during booting but always load instantly the currently selected sounds into ram (insufficient).
- Korg and Music production computer systems are loading all attack portions of samples into Ram.
- Korg DFD keyboards like Kronos /Pa4X do it during booting time , copying saved in HD samples attack portions into Ram to be ready
for reproduction as the latest streaming method and there is no previous state of loaded samples ...

Therefore do not confuse where portions of samples are saved with the actual tranfering into Ram procedure while booting or during
currently selected samples , 'cause always a board DDR Ram participates in real time reproduction of samples !

Hope this helps !

Keyboards : Steinway-D, Kronos X, Pa5X 76, Pa4X 76, Montage M7 , Roland-XV88, Emu3,Emax II,Synclavier II,Yamaha DX Series, ΟΒ-8V
400nvd

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 9:42 pm    Post subject: MicroSD card slot allows for mass storage & data protec Reply with quote

Hi all,
With regard to the SD card slot.

MicroSD card slot (card not included) allows for mass storage and data protection

http://www.korg.com/us/products/synthesizers/pa4x/

Does this mean protected resources (sounds and styles) will become available from Korg and / or 3rd parties.

Anybody?

Noël
Eduardo_Arg

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Noel:

I'm not sure microsd will destinate for resources as it was used on Krome.-
Unfortunatelly this as ssd capacity are a Korg secret.-
Just for the recors, next monday i'll go to a private demo of PA4x, so after that i'll tell what's about it.-
With regards.
Eduardo
AntonySharmman
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 11:35 pm    Post subject: Re: MicroSD card slot allows for mass storage & data pr Reply with quote

400nvd wrote:
With regard to the SD card slot.
MicroSD card slot (card not included) allows for mass storage and data protection
Does this mean protected resources (sounds and styles) will become available from Korg and / or 3rd parties.

Yep , already existing from Pa600 and later models , with primary destination 3rd party or local distribution paid
extra sound resources with encrypted PCM by algorithm , just like protected USB thumb drives distributions ,
but can be also used as an extra user storage media.
The good news for developers is that in Pa4X , styles seem that can be also locked using the same encryption !

Keyboards : Steinway-D, Kronos X, Pa5X 76, Pa4X 76, Montage M7 , Roland-XV88, Emu3,Emax II,Synclavier II,Yamaha DX Series, ΟΒ-8V
Eduardo_Arg

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Friends:

Just arrive from a private demo of PA4x, and my first impression is a serious WS arranger.-
The keybed is similar as i have on my M3, responds very well on high speed riff.-
The sound is absolutly great, and articulations (DNC) are extraordinary, although piano sound is really good, krome grandpiano is better.-
For the demo, there was: 1) Pa3x; 2) Pa4x; 3) Krome (73); all of keyboards are conected to a Presonus 16.4.2, and there was 2 amp units: 1) Bose L1 (2 separate units), 2) Roland KC 550 (2 separate units).- In all testdrive equalization was flat.-
Comparision: PA3x with PA4x: Pa4x is +1db than PA3x, and Sound Engine of PA4x is for far better than PA3x, i mean all type of instrument.- Sax sound are impresive and DNC articulations are fantastic.- Drum sounds are also better, simple they sound like a real drummer.-
Comparision: PA4x with Krome: Krome sound output is equal as PA4x (+1db than PA3x).- Sound Engine is better, perhaps because of it's extender multisamples.- Although, wind instruments sounds better on PA4x than Krome.- Piano of Krome is better than PA4x, and i think that multisamples used are identically as Kronos.-
Boot time is less than PA3x (a few seconds).-
LCD screen if far away better than PA3x, it responds instantly to the touch, also using finger (not the nail).- Color combinations are more efficient than PA3x, also in absolute darkness.-
LCD manual operation IMHO looks better than motorized one in PA3x.- You can place it in your right position, and minimize fails of a motorized.-
Screen size is the same as PA3x' it appear bigger because of it's flat design.- At the back of screen you can see 2 gears (left and right) so it seams that mantains firm the screen.-
About construction, PA4x looks strong.- It's not lightweight as Krome (8 kg vs 15 Kg. PA4x).-
About sound, PA4x is crystal clear, with better response in bass frequencys than PA3x, something that you will notice with drums.- In this aspect final sound is nearly Krome's one.- For this test alternately sound engenier directs output of Presonus to KC550 and Bose L1; with KC550 bass sounds were strongest than with bose, but on mid or high frequencys with Bose, (f. example) Nylon Guitars sound as a real one.-
Sound Edit mode, is very similar as what you see on PA3x with 3 MFIX instead of 2.- Something is missing: a good external sound editor as Krome Editor; edit a sound or effects is more complex on PA4x screen than if you do it on a PC screen; but seems Korg don't agree do develope such editor for PA4x, a nonsense if you consider that users may take more advance of this keyboard with a good sound editor (external).-
Finally IMHO PA4x is the best arranger ever made, ergonomical well design (not as Tyros), and with a powerfull sound engine.- Although is not for me (because i can't take advantage of styles), i must admit this unit is excellent.-
Hoping this helps everybody who will upgrade it's unit o begin with a real prof arranger, with regards. Eduardo
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Pa4X All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: