Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

...Important.... POLL.... Please have a look!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Would you join IA as a subscription service?
10 Bucks per 6 month are all right-ish...
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
20 per year are fair enough...
61%
 61%  [ 13 ]
Money?.... what's that??
38%
 38%  [ 8 ]
Total Votes : 21

FireDude

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2004 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey all....new guy here. Here is fresh perspective from a very recently joined new person coming into IA. I found Irish Acts by a search on Yahoo.com. I looked at all of the other KORG help sites as I was checking out IA too. It didn't take long to realize IA was the best. I don't even go anywhere else now when it comes to KORG issues. It took me several months of grazing at IA to get to the place where I thought I had something to add, thus then becoming an active member. Take my situation for instance. My KORG Triton Extreme is my first ever Workstation/Pro synth...bought in March 04'. I knew nothing about the how to's of KORG's line of workstations, what a sequencer/sampler was, or even how to MIDI for that matter....I just knew that the EX was the machine I needed to do what I wanted to do with my music. My previous experiences were all with less fancy, but top of the line Kurzweil/Roland stage pianos! What I do know is straight from IA's forums, the manuals, and personal application of it all. Not everyone here is at a Pro level yet, which I know you know. Keeping it free for visitors/guests to surf the threads as I did will promise you a continuous flow of new people. What made me become an active member here was the same reason I was in the Marine Corps...there is a tremendous amount of comardory here that causes any and all to want to participate and belong here! That is a powerful tool. Don't set requirements and/or membership system for new people. Those that are here for the right reason know what IA means and what IA is worth to them. Create a Donation link/icon at the corner of the Thread listing and main page to let those that are blessed be a blessing back. Maybe have a fund raising drive one month of the year where members gather to rally others to help raise a budget for the year. Has corporate sponership been considered? Just a thought. I vote "no" on a members only IA, but will support any other measure needed to keep IA up and running as smoothly as IA does...but drawing the most people possible is what makes IA what IA is! Not all new people are KORG newbies like me....there are some awesome experts here and others just needing to find IA as their new home...keep it open for them to come in. If the IA forum isn't open for all to see as they come into the IA.com site, then what sells IA? The members sell IA by their knowledge, wisdom, opinions, and Espirit De Corps. IA would have lost people like me with a log on screen before being able to see the forum, becuase I wouldn't have known what I was missing. But that is not the case thank God! You all here are incredible here! Glad to be a piece in the puzzle!

New Guy,
Cory
yatrg

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2004 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with some of the previous posts that a required subscription is a bad idea. I have seen many sites that provide a link to PayPal and state that contributions are accepted. I think that is what we need. Put me in line to "voluntarily contribute" please.
cnegrad
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2004 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm...This way, on occasion Sharp can post a message that IA maintenance funds are running low, and suggest when a contribution is necessary. That might work.

Our Jazz CD: The Deanna Jones Orchestra: "Very First Dance"
http://www.deannajones.com

Our Christian CD: Jacob's Journey: "A Feather In His Hand"
http://www.jacobsjourney.com
Odinmoon
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2004 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Korg should pay. I personaly would leave IA if I had to subscribe. Korg gets a lot of free advertising from this site. It also promotes thier products.
And helps solve problems with Thier products. If this happens we might as well put a toll on going to any site. I'm sorry that IA might be in finacial problems. But I again say Korg should pay. There are a lot of poor struggling muzos out there with enough bills to pay. Its ok for some one with ten sets of keyboards and a studio to say Yea Ill pay.

regards Terry
Lorenzo
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2004 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uh, probably I'll have to leave this forum if it will be no free, I really can't spend money since I do not work... and about dl section: many of the sounds are from many people so think at my sounds ie, they are free to download on my site and so is for many other: who would pay something that he can find elsewhere out there?
The better solution is a paypal donation button like in tritonhaven or a sponsorization (does this word exist in english?) from korg (or just some advert banner somewhere on the site)
regards, Lorenzo
Stephen
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2004 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Morbius wrote:
There are more than enough of us 'regulars' around here, that each of us that can send Sharp $20 a year I would think should more than take care of the situation, don't you?
Whatever it takes, Sharp - you just say the word, and we'll cover you one way or the other! Very Happy

Morbius

QUOTE; "Hmmm...This way, on occasion Sharp can post a message that IA maintenance funds are running low, and suggest when a contribution is necessary. That might work".

I agree! Heck, It makes me feel better sending a little something now and then.
I have no problem with this at all!
Stephen
http://cdbaby.com/all/jstephenfoster

Location Central U.S.A.
chordial
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2004 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And me, as we did before, Sharp gives us a shout when help is needed.

Edit - will go with the decision of course Smile
dreamaiden

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2004 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, we certainly don't want to lose anyone or keep people from coming here because of red tape. There's enough of that in the world. Everyone here is so nice that the voluntary contributions work very well. At this point I think we should just continue with that if that's agreeable with everyone. Smile

Lorenzo you are not allowed to leave. Cool

Cheers,
Sioux
Vim

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there,

Paying for something you use is an age old idea as is not paying for something that you do not use or benefit from.

IA is primarily a site for this discussion forum - or so it may seem ... it is also a site for Sharp to show his studio and advertise his services.

Undoubtedly, he is paying for the 'space' and i think that in all fairness we should contribute as much as we can.

I live in Fiji now and to get ANY form of support for my Korg keys is like finding a nonexistent needle in a haystack. So i can appreciate the importance of IA. Having said that - it is more difficult for me to make an online contribution because paypal does not recognise Fiji as a 'bank connected' country. Credit cards are out of the question.

I'm sure that the Fiji Dollar does not equate to US$20 so the service may actually be more expensive for me and others. I think that paying for this service is fine and dandy. Close off the downloads section to members who pay only or have 2 levels of passwords - one for the discussion forum and another for downloads or maybe something like Sharps IA CD - paying for sample assault.

take care
ex Marshall Islands
Odinmoon
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

$20.00 American dollars could amount to $200.00 in some countries. Also has anyone asked for Sharps opinion?? So you want to charge for downloads? Even though most have been freely contributed to the forum. Also the help that has been contributed. . IA is a great forum because its not a capitalistic enterprise. Maybe Korg should also charge for our downloads.? I would be real embarrassed if I was in Sharps shoes. He said he was a little broke at the time. Now it seems that he is being made a charity case. What ever happened to discretion. Sharp has a personal account. If you want to send him some money. But I don't know if its a good thing on the internet to say publicly that money is on the way. The way that I interpreted Sharps post is he is having a bad time at the moment. I'm sure Sharp would like people to buy his sample assault....hint.
Sharp
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all.

Yes it costs a lot of money to keep IA online but I don’t believe a yearly subscription is the way to go. In a way it goes against what IA stands for, so it’s probably never going to happen.

With that said, money is still needed to run IA and it doesn’t come cheap either. We have a very high usage account with a bandwidth limit of 70GB a month and you can be sure we use it. Actually… we even go above that limit and I get an extra bill because of it but I don’t mind paying the extra fees on top of our flat rate service when they pop up.

With that said, our flat rate monthly agreement runs out in August 2007 and the renewal costs will be absolutely shocking because we will need to renew our account for a few years in advanced at a new flat rate level in order to keep IA open and ge the best deal.

So there’s nothing to worry about right now, we are guaranteed to be here until August 2007. What I would be interested in doing in January 2007 is adding a Donate button at the top of the forum and asking people to support the website that way. I would be aiming to get enough donations together so that I could buy between 3 to 5 years of space on the server at a flat rate paid fully in advanced. Then the donate button would disappear for 3 to 5 years.

This way IA stays as free as possible.

Thanks for carrying anyway guys. It’s nice to know that so many actually care about what happens to this site and if it’s costing me more than it should considering my financial state.

IA us guaranteed be here until August 2007 and I’m sure in 2007 people will support us and help us raise the renewal fees to keep IA online for another few years.

Kind Regards.
Sharp.

Last edited by Sharp on Mon Nov 01, 2004 2:40 pm; edited 2 times in total
Odinmoon
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good news and a good solution Sharp. And I hope things get better for you.
regards Terry
Morbius
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Odinmoon wrote:
I would be real embarrassed if I was in Sharps shoes. He said he was a little broke at the time. Now it seems that he is being made a charity case. What ever happened to discretion.

This wasn't, and isn't, about 'charity'. Some of the members of IA would merely like to support this site, and feel that the burden for doing so shouldn't rest solely on Sharp's shoulders. That's all.

Morbius

"Character is the backbone of our human culture. Music is the flowering of character."
yatrg

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Morbius wrote:
Odinmoon wrote:
I would be real embarrassed if I was in Sharps shoes. He said he was a little broke at the time. Now it seems that he is being made a charity case. What ever happened to discretion.

This wasn't, and isn't, about 'charity'. Some of the members of IA would merely like to support this site, and feel that the burden for doing so shouldn't rest solely on Sharp's shoulders. That's all.

Morbius

I agree. This is about saying thank you - something we should all do more often. And the reason people post that they "said thank you" to Sharp, was to encourage others to do the same.
dreamaiden

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Terry,

Quote:
$20.00 American dollars could amount to $200.00 in some countries.

It doesn't matter. The idea was that anything that anyone could do to help was fine. If anyone can't or it's impractical then that's fine too. It wasn't mandatory.

Quote:
Also has anyone asked for Sharps opinion??

I, like many others, have known Sharp for years and yes, I've been speaking with him. Other new people have just happily followed our lead.

Quote:
So you want to charge for downloads?

I think we had already concluded that that was not the best idea. We were just brainstorming ideas.

Quote:
I would be real embarrassed if I was in Sharps shoes.

That's because you haven't been here long enough to know that there is a real family vibe going on here. He's mostly embarrassed because he's used to being the helper and not the receiver.

Quote:
But I don't know if its a good thing on the internet to say publicly that money is on the way.

It's a support thing with everyone chipping in as they can and encouraging others to do whatever they can. It's a public 'thank you' ...everyone adding to the vibe. If it wasn't cool, it wouldn't have been done.

I feel like you're a little upset about all this but there's no need to be. As I said, many of us have known Sharp for years. He 'is' like family to us. More importantly, he's always bent over backwards to help anyone and everyone, constantly, for years. We all 'love' the fact that we can help him in anyway we can. We're excited about it. It makes us happy to help out and it's a good thing for people to help each other out. As you can tell by the many responses, many people here who are new have caught the vibe about IA and about Sharp and about us. It's really all ok, so just relax and let it be. We won't charge for anything and people can help when the call comes. We're all happy - Sharp is getting the help he needs and we're getting to help and bond together for a common cause even more. It's all good. Smile

Cheers,
Sioux
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Latest News All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: