Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What do you listen to, keyboardists?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
StudioF

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

im listening to other synthplayers on youtube, jeanmichel jarre, and have a interest in other types/styles of music.
Harris The Epic

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like Prog lol

The one band who I've been fawning over since I saw them come to NYC in May is Pain of Salvation.
Daniel Gildenlow is a freaking genius and totally knows how to hit you right in the musical and lyrical feels.

I like a lot of stuff though. Some classic rock stuff, like Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath and The Who, some super ridiculously heavy metal. Meshuggah Lamb of God and Mastodon are my 3 favorite out-right heavy metal bands. (When it comes to Metal, Meshuggah are one of the best and most talented groups on this planet. Non-negociable.) I'm also into a lot of sorts of Prog, from the classic YES, King Crimson, ELP, Genesis, to Dream Theater, Symphony X, Pain of Salvation and a bunch of the bands that want to be Dream Theater and Symphony X. There's some Power-Metally stuff in there too, but not too much anymore. Just Kamelot and Seventh Wonder really.
I also like a bunch of assorted acts outside of regular Rock and Prog. Incubus and Weather Report are the two main ones who I'm thinking of right now.

That's what this H-Man is groovin' on.
Snowqueen

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd use the old quote "Abba to Zappa". but my personal favourite is Nightwish. Odd I know for a 60 year old woman, but there you go. I'm rather odd all round really Very Happy
Joe Gerardi
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bald Eagle wrote:
Speaking of Buffalo ... I lived there 25 years. Kenmore, Tonawanda, Buffalo North Side, Buffalo West Side, Cheektowaga. No place on earth can make wings like the Anchor Bar Very Happy

Anchor Bar?

Bah!

Duffs, man. DUFFS! On the corner of Sheridan Drive and Millersport Hwy. They had the Anchor Bar beat by a mile.

BTW: What years do you live there? I was there '81-'99. Lived in the town first (Parker and Eggert) then by UB near Main and Winspear. Gigged a whole lot during those years.

I wonder if we crossed paths?

..Joe
jeremykeys
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm definitely a prog guy but I also love the heavy stuff like Children of Bodom, Opeth, Lamb of God. Right now I'm listening to the new live cd/dvd by Transatalantic called Kalivescope. I'm totally a sucker for looooooonnnnggg songs! Their Whirlwind cd blew me away. 1 song, 76 minutes long.
I've got everything Dream Theater have ever made.

@ Snowqueen: I also like Nightwish and I'm 59. It's not odd at all to like symphonic rock when you're over 50 Wink .

I"m also into bands like Porcupine Tree, Spock's Beard, O.S.I. and others of that ilk.

MY odd thing apparently is that I love to hear new music by old bands. The latest Deep Purple, Yes, Black Sabbath are all great.

I'm NOT into classic rock although I used to be very much so. At work I have to listen to it every day after day and I'm just done.

Puddle of Mudd just played a local rock club a few weeks. Wish I had the time to see them. Alterbridge are awesome!

My secret love is Nickelback. Great writing, great playing and I totally get what they are doing. Not taking it seriously is what they are doing.
I'm also very much into fusion. Chick Corea kicks butt! The Return to Forever cd called the Mothership returns is amazing.

Oddly enough, I'm also very much into Tom Petty. Benmont Tench is one of the best keyboard players out there. He never rips it up but he always plays the exact thing the song needs. Something I wish I could do better.

I'm sure there are many other bands that I listen to but I can't think of any right now!
Gear: Kronos 73, Triton Pro-X, Wavestation EX, Polysix, King Korg, Monotron and Monotron Duo, Minikorg, Moog Grandmother, 1 Roland U-20, Hammond M3, 4 acoustic and 6 electric guitars, 1 Ibanez 5 string bass, a bunch of microphones and other very cool toys, 1 wife and 3 cats!
Derek Cook
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prog and Celtic influenced music is my bag, although I love pretty much anything if it gets my foot tapping.

There's so much good stuff out there; this is what I listen to a lot.

Genesis
Spock's Beard
Transatlantic
Porcupine Tree
Arena
The Wishing Tree
The Velvet Hour
Barclay James Harvest
IQ
Darwin's Radio
Sound Of Contact
Dave Kerzner (ex Sound of Contact) - new album is great
Gordan Giltrap
Iona
Kompendium
Landmarq
Magenta
Marillion
Mostly Autumn
Neil Morse
Karnataka
Pink Floyd
Peter Gabriel
Renaissance
Steve Hackett
Steve Hillage
Steve Wilson
Riverside
White Willow
Yes (although their latest album sucks)
Clannad
Capercaillie

Follow kronos.factory development and submit ideas over at the kronos.factory Trello Board

My Echoes Music Website
My Carreg Ddu Music Website
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tend to go for single artists or even albums and spin them endlessly. Some of my favorite stuff:
Alicia Keys - As I Am
Peter Gabriel - Secret World (live)
Herbie Hancock - Mr Hands
Jim Beard - Lost at the Carnival
N.E.R.D. - Seeing Sounds
Ella Fitzgerald & Ben Webster - Ella meets Ben
Beyoncé Knowles - most stuff unless it's an awful four bar loop
Pat Metheny - Imaginary Day (thought it was really cool we got a Lyle Mays grand on the Kronos)
John Scofield (with MM&W) - A Go Go

For my bands I have to check a lot of modern dance and pop stuff, I suppose I get some synth sound inspiration from there too, but I don't generally listen to it for personal enjoyment.
jeremykeys
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should also mention that I listen to a lot of Joe Satriani.

On more self indulgent days, Smile I listen to a lot of my own music!
Gear: Kronos 73, Triton Pro-X, Wavestation EX, Polysix, King Korg, Monotron and Monotron Duo, Minikorg, Moog Grandmother, 1 Roland U-20, Hammond M3, 4 acoustic and 6 electric guitars, 1 Ibanez 5 string bass, a bunch of microphones and other very cool toys, 1 wife and 3 cats!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: