Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Do you use the Triton Sequencer ?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Do you use the Triton onboard Sequencer ?
Yes, I do use the Sequencer
72%
 72%  [ 34 ]
No, I only play the Triton live
10%
 10%  [ 5 ]
No, I use other sequencing arrangements
17%
 17%  [ 8 ]
Total Votes : 47

olivio

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2004 9:41 pm    Post subject: Why I use the Triton sequencer Reply with quote

I use it when there's some music I don't manage to play. It's easy to play slower. Unfortunately, it happens that sometimes there something I can't do with the sequencer. I don't know if it's due to me or the way the sequencer works.
In general, I record my musical ideas, then play them into Cool Edit. I didn't know I would use the sequencer so much. It's something new to me and really, it is a very useful tool.
mikee72
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2004 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use the TS sequencer and nothing external. Not because there isn't something necessarily "better," but I record 90% of my tracks live, and whatever I can't play correctly I can fix with the onboard sequencer. I don't honestly know what a soft sequencer can do that I can't do already.
Hover

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2004 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use the on-board sequencer of my Korg Karma (and Motif ES). On rare occassions, I turn to SQ1 (very cheap but easy to use) to do some 'macro editing'.

Not that I dislike software like Cubase or Logic but why buy a workstation and not use the on-board sequencer? Why bother with patch scripts etc... when it is so easy to just save everything inside the workstation.

A lot of people always have difficulties to integrate their workstation with their DAW when with the on-board sequencer you really get total integration.
philz

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2004 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I voted yes because I have used it, but do I like it? I suppose... it is good for laying down a quick song idea when your other half is screaming "we're late, we've got to leave NOW" at you. Laughing Like many things on my Triton, it's hard to tell whether it's unintuitive or just a victim of really bad documentation (the dreaded manuals)... arrgh Sad

Phil's Songs-http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=1050818&content=music
Coffee House Band- http://thecoffeehouseband.com/armageddon/
D,D&C- http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=1053137
Kev_oldie

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2004 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to use it and was always worried about "capacity issues" (is 16 tracks enough) but the REAL capacity issue was running out of the voices that the TS has (in total). So I got Cubase SX, HALion (softSampler) and about $1,000 (USD) worth of sample sets (including the Garritan Personal Orchestra, which is an encapsulated sample set built in to a *free* Kontakt VST -- analgous to HALion).

Now the only capacity I have to worry about (and I've been close to hitting it from time to time recently) is the 1 Gig of RAM on the dedicated 2.66 mHz P-4 on which everything runs. In truth, the highest number of tracks that I've done (so far) in Cubase is 22, but I can see that number increasing as my "habit" of orchestra-building gets more ingrained.

fwiw ... kev
Neville

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2004 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use the sequencer in my TS almost exclusively.

I find it really easy to use - very immediate to capture the idea, but then the level of 'tweaking' it has is phenomenal, for me at least. I'm still very much on the learning path of discovering all of its potential, but so far I haven't encountered many limitations that prevent me doing what I am aiming for.

Having said that, my previous experience was with the Roland D20 sequencer (truly awful) and the Alesis MMT8 (simple but pretty useful). So the Triton sequencer is a huge step up.

The only times I tend to use the PC is for some editing and drum programming, but my laptop is not really set up for music making so it kind of prevents me from exploring that side of it any further (until I can get a decent PC dedicated to music that is Wink ).

Cheers

Neville
popcorn
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2004 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The most great thing ever made in seq field is Alesis MMT8!!!

Nobody never made something with similar inteface Wink

Donny
cnegrad
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2004 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if you're going to get an accurate sampling with this poll. I have to admit that not being a Triton sequencer user, I passed over this thread several times before reading the thread title more carefully. As soon as I saw the words Triton Sequencer, I moved on to the next thread.

Our Jazz CD: The Deanna Jones Orchestra: "Very First Dance"
http://www.deannajones.com

Our Christian CD: Jacob's Journey: "A Feather In His Hand"
http://www.jacobsjourney.com
chinard
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2004 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been using my T/S sequencer almost exclusively.

Yeah its missing alot of really important things like a piano roll editing mode, but i find that its simplicity makes for much easier recording.

I really like the fact that anytime while screwing around with the triton i can hit a couple of buttons and record perfectly what i was doing.

The only time i ever use an external sequencer is when i recieve midi files from my other band members with new material and i need to "disassemble it" so that i can figure out how to play my part.
I typically use Sonar for this function because it has the multi-layer piano roll view and the chord analyzer because the other guys in the band like to use some pretty off-the-wall chords.

Personally, i think that if they added a piano roll view to the sequencer it would be a perfect tool... Maybe they could do something constructive like throw out general midi support to make room for it.
AnthonyB
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2004 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm starting to use the Triton Seq now after much deliberation.
Very Happy

Still new to the silver beast (TS), I would like to know if anyone has created some good templates for a 16 track sequence. For example, Bass, Piano, Pads, - all with "Good" effect settings etc - and not always relying on the Combi/Prog to seq Copy - well the onboard demo's sound great, and would like to emulate something like this too. I was surprised to fing the rotary on one of the organs (when in seq mode) had rotary on it - but didn't if you know what i mean, it was like "in the sample". Arrow

Anthony

JOHN 3:16
AlexLOMan
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2004 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AnthonyB wrote:
I'm starting to use the Triton Seq now after much deliberation.
Very Happy

Still new to the silver beast (TS), I would like to know if anyone has created some good templates for a 16 track sequence. For example, Bass, Piano, Pads, - all with "Good" effect settings etc - and not always relying on the Combi/Prog to seq Copy - well the onboard demo's sound great, and would like to emulate something like this too. I was surprised to fing the rotary on one of the organs (when in seq mode) had rotary on it - but didn't if you know what i mean, it was like "in the sample". Arrow

Anthony

Hey Anthony have you tried loading up one of the built in template files? Some of them have some good starting points.

Alex
chordial
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2004 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use the sequencer almost every time I play my triton. I tend to write (mess about) with combi's, and that's where I find the inspiration to compose something new. I'll copy the combi into the sequencer and fire away. If it's worth developing then I have the basic tracks saved ready to record. I've been writing this way ever since my M1, because I find it all too easy to lose the feeling of a song by the time I've written the chords down, and started to choose different sounds, and maybe work on the lyrics.
Diego
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Davidb wrote:
Thats the main reason, and not any other, why I like, buy, and play Korg keyboards since I have memory.
Its sequencers.
Deep, fast, easy to use.

As Timo says, Trinity and especially Triton seqs are even good to control external gear if needed. I´ve done it a lot.

So, for me theres no other choice.
Korg is the brand I tend to use and its just because of its sequencers.

I own a beautiful Trinity, with no exp boards, and I'm glad to have the base version, beacuse it's great.
But I must say that other Seq are good too (i.e. the Kurzweil one)...
I'm always for the great touch screen of latest korg's keyboards, and I must admit that if Kurzweil sometimes will install on its keys the touch screen I won't buy no more korg...

what do you think?

Korg M3 with EXB Radias & EXB-256 onboard
MOTU Traveler - iBook G4
yatrg

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I voted Yes, but I only use the Sequencer for live playback of songs that I created on my PC.
tommo

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2004 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sometimes use the sequencer, mainly to play back a combination setting. I find that when I start to introduce too many other instrumental timbre, the FX setting for the combination I have selected usually faults at least one of the timbres, rendering that timbre in a very palid or overstated environment.

So ...... I use whatever combination I need, without adding more than that combination's timbre settings has. Play what I want into that. Let the sequencer play it back faithfully whilst I jump onto another instrument to round things off.

That works........( for me)

Cheers
Tommo

PS: The other instrument is usually the 01W/fd or Jupiter 6 or MS20 .... and sometimes a blues harp or accordion ...........
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Latest News All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: