Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

TIPS ON DRUMNBASS PATTERNS!!!!!!!!!!
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Daz
Retired

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Listen to the new Klute album and you will receive inspiration Cool
Willie K

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just work your patterns at slow tempo (like 75-100 bpm's) then...when you're done and happy with the results...speed up the tempo 'till you get what you want. One tip...take a D'n'B pattern from the EMX1 and put down the tempo...listen to it... Smile this way you'll figure out how to do the beats,fills,rolls,bass,etc.
Does this make sense?...
Regards... Very Happy
Ruso
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you're sudgesting making the whole pattern slow and then speeding up the tempo and expecting drum n bass to come out then not only is your logic flawed in making music but also in drum n bass....

you should know that different bpm "ranges" have different natural groove feels for playing the parts....

what you're saying he should do is make a breakbeat song and speed it up and it becomes drum n bass.... sorry nope, it turns into fast breaks....

drum n bass is not easy to achieve on the electribes simply cause it's fast. you either have to step edit or sequence it externally for synth parts and then record the midi into the electribe.

an exception to that is if you make the whole track in the fast tempo but can't play a part quite fast enough, then you can slow it down, play it, and then speed it back up....

if you just take and make the whole track and speed it up it will sound exactly like what you did, it will sound like a slow track, sped up.
Ruso
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ps I'm still offering to send you examples of drum n bass patterns if you have a smart media card...
citrus

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might want to try this, but its definately not the easiest way. Listen to a couple of your favourite drum and bass tunes, then try and analyse them, slow them down change their eqs etc. You could use a program like soundforge for example. Just find out a little how they work, now go back to your electribe and tap in your beats live alongside the beat of the music, this will take a couple of goes (unless you're very skilled with the tapping or have extra fingers).

Keep layering up the sounds but first go for that bass/snare combo(more often than not you will find the bass drum kick and snare hit rarely fall down on the same beat) before you approach the hi-hats. If you get this right you're onto a winner Smile

I've been playing drums for over 10 years now and its still a good way to learn things physically as well as trying to program manually. I've found that even playing drum and bass patterns on the drums live really can add energy to somewhat more sterile rock beats. You have to really disect the beat, know all its parts, dynamics etc and then build it back up yourself. I recommend listening to pendulum for some punchy beats, they even have triplet drum and bass sections. They also play their stuff live on instruments.
aizo

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i love using the emx for drum and bass. basically what i do is make the foundation on my emx then send it over to my sequencer to cut up and manipulate. there's a few things you can do to improve your drum and bass. 2 things stand true in dnb. ghost notes and velocity. i always have 2 tracks of the same snare. the first one is at regular volume. the second one is for ghost notes. turn the volume down and roll back on the eg time a little. then do the same thing with 2 hihats.

you can edit a patern like this:
set tempo to like 180
use the dnb bd on track1 and program it for pads 1,3, and 11
use dnb sd on track 2 and program it on pads 5 and 13
use dnb sd on track 3 and turn down the volume of the track and roll back the eg time a little and program it on pads 8 and 10
use hh 99 1c on track 6a and program it on 1,5,9, and 13
use the same hh991c on track 6b and turn its volume down and roll back slightly on the eg time and program it on 3,7,11,15

that is a relly simple dnb drum pattern. but its a good way to start and to understand what those guys are doing. at least the ones that actually program a beat

edit: i forgot to mention, if you send all those drums to the same low pass filter effect. its a common dnb trick you can get a lot of life out of.
reddone

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just read alot of the posts , and ... well , u dont NEED to sample for dnb at all . Post-processing is fine ( after recording ) , very useful .

Find a decent kick , snare n hi-hats n maybe some shakers n percs .
Start at at around 178 , make ur breakbeat ( or jungle rythm ) over 2 bars and simple adjust the swing of the groove n tempo gradually to suit the beats so that it all rolls without hesitation . Pitch ur drums to suit each other and add fx where needed to get the sound closest to whats in ur head .

Set some drums apart with the panpot and us the modulator to eihter pich or pan drums for best use .

Finally ( for the rythym at least ) go into synth mode n select pcm+ws and spin the screen dial to DR-BDs ... now , while ur groove rolls u can add the odd
filtered/gated kick or whatever over ur rythyms .
Basically , each button plays a different drum from the selection !! use them just like the synths ( modulated cutoff / osc1+osc2 , and so on . This WILL make kick drums BELCH and warble if u do it right . )

Works great on ALL kinds of drums , and u can also now use the envelope to shape ur drums too !!

Delays on the right drums will really help keep things interesting.

I wont mention synth sounds as everyones tastes vary , but for dnb in the mx , those tips should give a proper rolling .

It works for me every time ( i only sample when i really feel the need to ) .

Roll out ..... Wink

P.S. make LOAdS of copies of ur 2-bar loop and Set them up to play in pattern set mode , and prepare to blow urself away .... once again .
To change the intensity/flow make 1-bar , 4-bar, 8-bar variants and drop them where u need . A great way to find out where ur song is going .
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Electribe All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: