Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

DO WE GET NEW SAMPLES FOR THE SV1 OR NOT, KORG!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Valued Customer

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:10 pm    Post subject: DO WE GET NEW SAMPLES FOR THE SV1 OR NOT, KORG! Reply with quote

I've just spent $2000 on an SV1 only to learn that Korg answers most questions in their heads, apparently. I know that all questions can't be addressed, but it's really disheartening when the same old questions pop up & Korg either ignores or gives some vague reply. Most interactions I've seen go something like this;

JoeKorgOwner: Do we get new samples for the SV-1?

KorgRepGuy: you get ground breaking sounds that are fat & cool & cutting edge & sparkly & stuff... Tubes... Kronos

JoeKorgOwner: Oh, I see... Thanks

I'm not sure if this 'new multisamples' query has been addressed by Korg publicly, yet, but if I don't get an answer to this question in some definitive form I'm returning the SV-1 & buying a cheaper Yamaha MOX8. The SV-1 is a nice instrument, but its short comings are far too great to toss 2 grand into without having some redeemable quality. The only way I can justify keeping it is if it can be updated with new multisamples & more extensive editing features in the future, not just weak reworking of the same sample set! At least with Nords you have the hope of an entirely new sample set to look forward to, if you don't like the factory settings (plus an organ that can be used in actually music) or with the Yamaha you get deep editing options & not just tired amp & FX re-edits from the manufacturer. Heck, Nord (like some sample based VSTi’s) even made it possible for outside parties to create sample sets for their instruments; a trend that Yamaha had the foresight to adopt in their XF line. Please, don’t get me started on what Roland has done in regard to EXTREMLY VAST edit ability in their vintage piano expansion… & we get the same EP with amp number 2 (instead of 1), the hasher velocity level turned down, & a little less treble… This is a bit sad.

Heck, I can buy new samples for my old 01/W FD in PCM form, so I figure in a state of the art machine like the SV-1 this should go without saying, but I haven't seen Korg give an answer either way.
So, here's a chance, yet again, Korg, to answer... PLEASE!

1. will you be releasing new multisamples for the SV1 or will there only ever be tweaks to the old ones like in sound packs 1 & 2.

2. Will we see more control features for the multisamples via the editor software (i.e., attack, release time, decay, resonance, cutoff, split points, etc.); Besides being weak, my pianos have too much sustain & the “80’s Synth Piano” (one of the key selling points-on paper-of the SV1 with me) is ridiculous with it, so imagine my despair when I realized this was not adjustable.

3. Will individual control of each RX noise (represented in a single patch) be implemented; I find having only a single volume & EQ for the RX noise is problematic, especially if I only want to enhance a pedal thump on a piano, but I acquire an incessant key clunking for my efforts.

I love the action, straight forwardness of the format, & aesthetics of this instrument, but its lack of control with the multisamples themselves & the absence of new samples rather than old reworked ones really sour the experience, especially at this price; Just look at what others offer near this price range (some below). We really need more samples to work with (& not every ten years); fuller more lush G. pianos (even Propellerheads ‘Reason Pianos’ sound more authentic.. just ask the guy who uses his SV-1 to trigger them instead of his internal AP’s on youtube), actual usable uprights, reed & tine e. pianos with individually adjustable release (for an optional muddy vintage tine/reed “slap back” effect), key off bell/damper sample, bell, keyboard action, pedal, & open harp noise volumes (of which the later you have slightly with the existing Wurli patch).

ANYWHO…

Please, give us answers; We thought enough of your product to spend our hard earned money, the very least you can do is acknowledge our concerns
Thanks,
*Valued* Customer

PS
If you all are lost on how to get an EP’s editing layout just right, check out genuinesoundware.com’s MrRay MarkII; this has the perfect edit ability for a vintage EP clone. We need this in the SV-1, Korg!
craigalan

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent post.

My guess is that the SV1 is not a big seller for them, so they don't put too much extra time into it. I still have yet to see anyone of note, outside of a paid endorsement, playing one live. Which is certainly not the case for the nord. I love my SV-1, but I agree...can we get some support here?
east3rd

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I couldn't agree more. I'm actually bummed that the Nord Piano wasn't yet on the market when I purchased the SV-1. I wasn't interested in the Electro series due to the action, and I'm relatively happy with the SV-1, but an extra $200 would've gotten me a (IMO) much better and expandable instrument, with fantastic action, and completely compatible with Nord's constantly-growing sample library. I think Korg has dropped the ball here.
velour100

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well ok, I will just say that I like the post of the writer of is topic.. But.. I don't know if we are getting any reaction of Korg..

They are very lazy, when it comes to react on questions of users.. That is my experience so far..

And that sucks! I'm really not happy about this company..
Studio Rat

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I think you make some good points here, buying an instrument based on what it "might" be able to do in the future is really not the wisest approach. I agree, the SV-1 is expensive for what it is. That goes for most things we buy nowadays. I was lucky enough to pick mine up used for $1300 so don't feel too cheated! However there are plenty of instruments that cost $2000 and more that have "limitations". Electric guitars, violins, grand pianos. etc. Musicians buy them not for the "bells and whistles" that may be added in the future. An instrument should inspire creativity and be a vessel of expression. If you can convey what your trying to say through its strings, reeds, hammers, etc. than it's the right choice for you. I absolutely agree that some issues on the existing SV should be addressed. I personally think this unit was released prematurely, before they worked out all the bugs, so Korg would'nt miss the "retro band wagon". But I don't think they "owe" us any new sounds. I think of them as a pleasant surprise if they do create them. Peace.
craigalan

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, and I posted this in another thread, but since this is not an offficial Korg forum, I wonder if anyone from the company even reads this forum or knows it exists. Perhaps this is the wrong tree we are barking up.
mackbaz

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

craigalan wrote:
Also, and I posted this in another thread, but since this is not an offficial Korg forum, I wonder if anyone from the company even reads this forum or knows it exists. Perhaps this is the wrong tree we are barking up.

Its not an official forum, but the reps certainly watch the forums. Just go look at the Kronos forum. Its nothing but people asking questions and Rich answering questions. It seems they just don't care about the SV-1 anymore. I'm pretty disappointed with that. I would just like the bugs fixed. I am pleased with the samples, but the instrument isn't done, but they have left it at that.
The Pro

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many of these questions have been answered in other threads/topics. And much of this thread sounds like Nord trolls trying to plants seeds of discontent with the SV-1 that aren't really there.

The SV-1 isn't meant to be a load-the-hot-samples-of-the-month keyboard. It's an old-school replica of many classic instruments, hence the name STAGE VINTAGE. The tweakable parameters offer far more customizing capability than the keyboards the SV-1 emulates, and that's all it needs to do. It's a player's stage instrument, not another end-all be-all one-size-fits-all controller/workstation thingy.

If the SV-1 doesn't do what you want then you need a different keyboard, not new samples.
flyingace

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Pro and others of like mind: I agree, I didn't buy the SV-1 for what it will do, but what it can do. AND what it can do is just fine for me.. Heck I'm still using mostly SP1 sounds and a few SP2. HAPPY!

Yes , it would be nice if korg bestowed some SV-1 love on us, nice to have a bell or whistle added from time to time (like being able to make our own splits). But as it is, I'm satisfied.
Valued Customer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Pro wrote:
Many of these questions have been answered in other threads/topics. And much of this thread sounds like Nord trolls trying to plants seeds of discontent with the SV-1 that aren't really there.

The SV-1 isn't meant to be a load-the-hot-samples-of-the-month keyboard. It's an old-school replica of many classic instruments, hence the name STAGE VINTAGE. The tweakable parameters offer far more customizing capability than the keyboards the SV-1 emulates, and that's all it needs to do. It's a player's stage instrument, not another end-all be-all one-size-fits-all controller/workstation thingy.

If the SV-1 doesn't do what you want then you need a different keyboard, not new samples.

Sounds more to me like you're a Korg "troll"; trying to boost morale. Nord doesn't have to have plants on this post, Korg seems to be doing a terrible job of PR without the need in regard to the SV-1 coupled with the number of complaints about it. No one even knows what an SV-1 is (just ask all of my local music shops)… Nord’s not worried. I've noticed the most complaints I've seen are from SV-1 owners not critics & all of the issues they've had I have. BTW, if you’d noticed I said I would buy a Yamaha not Nord.

Listen, I bought the SV-1 because it was marketed in the same category making it competition for the Electro 3 (which I have also owned & is pretty terrible when amplified) & the CP-50 (also a bit… eh). My point is; If they’re marketing this as a device that will be factory updated (in competition with what Nord & Yamaha-in the XF- are doing), seemingly insinuating that there will be new sounds introduced in the same or similar fashion as the other companies, then they should give us that same functionality (in league with competition) or at least let us know they’re not. They’ve never once in all of their graphic description about the SV-1’s "cutting edge technology" expressed the exact way new sounds would be introduced, which is suspect to anyone with an ear.

Yes, the SV-1 is supposed to be an all encompassing vintage clone, but it was meant to be the center piece stage piano that consumers were asking for & the only way to do this is to provide what they've insinuated; a growing library of sounds & at least semi-graphic editing of the samples: I'm not looking for a synth, but, Hey, I have an MKS-20 sample on this thing (a sound that-on my old XP80-I use frequently) that I can't even control the release time on, rendering it useless for me. Did no one at Korg consider that this might be an issue? Or how about a graphical EQ; we get 3 bands with a sweepable mid range... huh? My old Casio PX-3 is more tweakable in that department & I only paid $800 (and get this, the PX-3's raw acoustic piano rivals the SV-1’s &, in the case of SV-1 piano 2, beats it… which angered me; I’ll be posting a comparison video on youtube for potential SV-1 customers using the un-enhanced samples… sad). I expected at least minimal control of basic elements at $2000. You at least get a 5-band EQ on the CP-300 @ the same price as the SV-1 73 . If you think that the editing on the SV-1 is anything but subpar for an instrument boasting as much as Korg did for this thing (with their paid endorsements; Any clown who says that the organs & Leslies in the SV-1 sound like anything but a cruel practical joke is getting a check) then you're a newb; sure, compared to my stock Rhodes & Wurli, SV-1’s a monster editing machine, but they’re not competing with them (my studio already has them, plus a beautiful Hammond C-3/Leslie 770), they are, however, competing with others who offer what they do; some of whom, at least, have a partial clue. I'm looking for something that I can tweak &, hell yeah, if the factory sample set has instruments that suck, don't just shabbily re-tweak them in the lab, let us have something more to choose from & the ability to extensively edit ourselves. If Korg is trying to compete then they need to step up their game. If I were a CEO, I’d be annoyed that so many people have valid gripes about a product I approved.

Look, don't tell me that I'm (or anyone else is) asking too much regarding functionality, because that's bogus & you know it; I’m not asking them to give us a sequencer, a synth section, vocoder, or hip hop drum loops. We were offered better than we are getting & now that we've started posing questions Korg has packed up like gypsies & moved on to the Kronos posts (BTW, I’ve noticed they respond to folks who are full of praise while posts like mine are ignored). I just want answers before it's too late to return this keyboard.

I like the Rhodes, Wurli’s (to a lesser extent), & the clavs. But they need to give us a sample pool to choose what meets our tastes (YES, like Nord) especially in the A.Piano department & make this thing (regarding multisamples) at least editable at a basic level; I want to change the release time, darn it, & not have to wait a year & a half for a new sound pack that may not include the edits I want, because they are not Korg’s priority that year. & come on, An MKii Rhodes with the treble turned down is not a “darker tined” Mark1… I don’t care how they spin it!

I feel that Korg is minimizing controls on the SV-1 editor, so that we bozos will be happy with whatever they cook up in the way of new sound packs instead of doing what would make everyone happy & actually giving us something to work with. Those of us who are more passive (most consumers) will let it slide, but I expect a company who accepts my money to hear my concerns & have the common courtesy to say ‘yea’ or ‘nay’, so I can make my choice.

For now, I just want our concerns to be acknowledge.

For many it is too late to dump the SV-1, but for me I’m getting out while the getting is good. & trust, after this experience I won’t ever buy another Korg (a sentiment which as far as Korg knows carries a lot of weight); should have taken the hint when several techs said they won’t work on my older Korg because of Korg’s horrible support (I thought that was because of my 01/W, but I see they take this approach with everything). If they’re crappy with support on this, I wouldn’t dare spend a dime on Kronos or anything else & certainly not $3500.

& PLEASE, give me the link(s) where this has been addressed! Please! Because I've searched for hours which led me to this forum to begin with. Or, at leaset convey the answers. But, I think your claim is specious... hot air. Please, please, prove me wrong.
velour100

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best post ever, Valued Customer! Thank you for the bright way, you explain these things. Agree on you're post. It would be a great service from Korg, if they would give us some freedom.
The Pro

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Valued Customer wrote:
My point is; If they’re marketing this as a device that will be factory updated (in competition with what Nord & Yamaha-in the XF- are doing), seemingly insinuating that there will be new sounds introduced in the same or similar fashion as the other companies, then they should give us that same functionality (in league with competition) or at least let us know they’re not. They’ve never once in all of their graphic description about the SV-1’s "cutting edge technology" expressed the exact way new sounds would be introduced,

"Seemingly insinuating"? You are seemingly insinuating that you didn't do your homework before buying a product and now you want Korg to change it to please you. The reps from Korg have been very active on multiple forums about the design and market concept of the SV-1. If they've mislead anyone it should be easy to prove, but they haven't.

Just take the SV-1 back to the store and get something else. It's not for everyone... love it or leave it. And BTW: I know some SV-1 owners who thought they would do better taking the SV-1 back to the store and buying a Yamaha, only to take the Yamaha back and re-buy the SV-1.
Valued Customer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Pro wrote:
Valued Customer wrote:
My point is; If they’re marketing this as a device that will be factory updated (in competition with what Nord & Yamaha-in the XF- are doing), seemingly insinuating that there will be new sounds introduced in the same or similar fashion as the other companies, then they should give us that same functionality (in league with competition) or at least let us know they’re not. They’ve never once in all of their graphic description about the SV-1’s "cutting edge technology" expressed the exact way new sounds would be introduced,

"Seemingly insinuating"? You are seemingly insinuating that you didn't do your homework before buying a product and now you want Korg to change it to please you. The reps from Korg have been very active on multiple forums about the design and market concept of the SV-1. If they've mislead anyone it should be easy to prove, but they haven't.

Just take the SV-1 back to the store and get something else. It's not for everyone... love it or leave it. And BTW: I know some SV-1 owners who thought they would do better taking the SV-1 back to the store and buying a Yamaha, only to take the Yamaha back and re-buy the SV-1.

So, where’re the LINKS?!! Nowhere, that's where, because I'm seemingly insinuating that you are full of hot air... Oh, look we both made cleaver statements... [smh]

Just like I thought, we have a Korg zealot... hhmm, or an employee.
Oh, despite your corny dig (sheesh, you must be that Rich Formadoni(?) guy... what a cheese ball) I certainly purchased the SV-1 after much "homework," but, don't be remedial, we don't get all the bad points from your smarmy sales pitches, paid reviews, endorsers, scant user reviews (because no one owns the damned thing) & doctored demos (how was I to know korg, a 40 year old company, was too loopy to include a release control in the editor). Don't be a weenie, you know as well as anyone that the best way to test anything is to spend time with it (I did & it's gone); Many of us were forced to buy the SV-1 online untested; Guitar Center won't stock it & they're the only major game in town for a lot of us. Besides, what your sales rep never said was your company is crap, your support is crap, you release products that should still be in Beta testing even after being on the market for 2 years, you have a team of obvious morons who think less control is sufficient (turning your nose at people for wanting menial satisfaction & simple answers), & that your support team is comprised of idiots who think that silence is the best way to answer dissatisfaction.
When did I ever say I wanted the SV-1 CHANGED? Wanting the udates (which are a part of the package) to include things that would satisfy is extreme? For the most part, I’ve been asking for simple answers… You obviously don’t comprehend well… you must be the president over at Korg… Or at least head of customer service.

The only truly satisfied customers seem to be the paid endorsers... or those who get it free... these are the same jackasses who rave that the organ is authentic & the acoustic piano is amazing. lol.

& Don't be simple, heck, yes, lack of information is misleading; Just like all marketing departments, you all specialize in psychology & forms deception, & this instant is no different; You suggest one thing then call everyone crazy when you don't deliver. I just can't figure out if the folks at Korg are downright lazy or just stupid... looks like both. You actually have seasoned techs who won't service your products because your support sucks (I’ll give you phone numbers if you want). I'm curious as to how you'll stay in business much longer, etching out a reputation like this. This was my first dealing with this company directly & I am definitely never looking back.

My old SV-1 has already been shipped back, well before the expiration of the return period & the MOX8-which I was able to test (Guitar Center actually carries that... go figure)-is on my stand now. I will also be posting the comparisons of the SV1 clips (in pro tools) to my MO-X on YouTube. Funny, when I explained my issue to the company from which I purchased the SV1 (so they could determine if I had a valid reason for a return) the rep flippin' affirmed my gripe & in a roundabout way suggested it wasn't an isolated occurrence... Korg is a JOKE! The supplier where I purchased that SV-1 won’t keep more than one in stock! & it’s probably the same one that keeps being returned every 30 days!

& to anyone who still has an SV1, do yourself a favor & sell it, Korg is not going to get any better! Plus, if they're this bad only two years into the game with SV-1, which I assume has been eclipsed by Kronos with them now, think what you'll face when the SV-2 is released & your support is dead... oh, wait, it already is. SELL IT, before word gets out & you’re stuck with it forever… with no updates. & New owners follow my wise choice or be damned; My momma always said "when folks tell you who they are... believe 'em"!
Try the Roland RD700, or even 300, Yamaha S90XS, The Kurzweil PC3, hell, even try the Casio PX-3. Some of them do far more than most of us, who went for the SV-1, want or need, but think of it this way; it's there just in case. [sigh]. Or Buy a M-Audio controller, an EEEPC or used V-Machine, & visit Sampletekk.com & GenuineSoundware.com & you'll find gear that destroys the SV-1 in all facets (which isn’t that hard if we’re totally honest), plus the owner & designer of the latter software is a nice guy (chatted with him personally) who handles business (try VB-3, MR. Ray MK2, EG70, ZD-1, Mr. Tramp, & Key Performer for free, or any of the legacy EP’s & see if you’ll ever think about the SV-1 again). That was my other option, but I talked myself into the on-board sequencer... sell-out.

Folks, as we all know the SV-1 isn't all bad, but my experience with Korg was. & I will be very vocal about this. Shhh, all I'll have to do to deter anyone from buying a Korg is refer them to the KORG forum [lol] & I'll be glad to do so to keep anyone from having this experience.

& BTW: Yeah, Mr. Pro, I think you're a liar. The Yamaha kills the SV-1 in editing flexibility alone, & don't get me started on how rich the samples are out of the gate compared to the SV-1 (which I spent hours tweaking & giving up at many points with its single EQ (Korg, again, too dumb to realize a graphical EQ should have been used in the editor apart from the main3-band which should’ve mostly been for use on the fly with the option of user save ability, instead of one EQ for everything [smh… 40 years]). Let's not go there. Yamaha may not be perfect, but you get exactly what they advertise, plus, every music store stocks their gear & all my tech acquaintances are fine dealing with them (hmm). Look, if you're coming to the fight defending the Sv-1 you're KO'ed before the bell. This forum proves that.

oh & tell the-obviously hearing impaired-sound designers at Korg that they can't sample a CX-3 & say it's a Hammond/Leslie; there's a reason why the CX-3 is a flop... because other than creating an awkward form of sign wave (too sharp BTW) (with flipping NOTE PHASING… newbs) it sounds nothing like a true Hammond! Which you all are too daft or arrogant to admit.... probably both; seeing that you included it in Kronos! lol. Nord & Hammond-Suzuki rejoiced. Lol.
Studio Rat

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 12:14 pm    Post subject: adieu SV-1... Reply with quote

I'm going to have to agree with some of the the points "Valued Customer" makes. I like the idea of the SV-1 but after owning it for about a month I did sell it. Just too many little "issues" I've been reading about here. Key click, blinking lights, harsh effects and amp distortion. Keys played on a gig and NOT coming back up! Yikes! Combine that with the irritating "body buzz" mine developed and some weird artifacts on the piano sounds. (Try playing one note on the pianos with damper down and let it ring out for a bit. On release of the damper there is an odd "quack" like sound. I do a lot of solo piano tracks and had more than one ruined by this odd occurrence. When I called customer support they gave me the number to an authorized service company that is no longer in business! So farewell SV-1. I was able to unload it for what I paid for it. It was a fun little ride, but I see more problems developing with this unit in the future so I got out while the getting was good. Still love Korg. I've owned Korg keys for many many years and would definitely buy another. The Kronos sounds INCREDIBLE! But the SV was just plagued with trouble from day one.
The Pro

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I'm the president of Korg like you're a professional keyboard player VC. If you spent as much time learning about an instrument before you bought it as you do posting garbage online you would at least be an educated troll instead of just a troll. Nobody made you buy the SV-1 untested - that's the stupidest statement you've made yet, among many. And you haven't justified a single thing you've said with a link to anything, but you expect links from others to disprove your rants?

You simply didn't do the necessary homework and footwork to research, listen to, or play the SV-1 before buying it. The most productive thing that can happen now is for others to learn from your stupidity. It's time to move on.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> KORG SV-1 All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: