Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Odd Issue - Wondering If Anyone Has Experienced/Has Advice
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
songremainsinsane

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:31 pm    Post subject: Odd Issue - Wondering If Anyone Has Experienced/Has Advice Reply with quote

1. One key (D below middle C) has an odd noise on release of key only

2. Noise only happens when key is struck with velocity, held and then released (also does same with sustain pedal)

3. Noise only occurs when using one patch - E Piano 1, Variation 1

I've taken it to a local authorized Korg service center and at first they thought it was part of the sample until I explained it was not doing this when I purchase instrument less than 1/2 a year ago. The instrument itself has only been moved once (from store to home) and has not been exposed to anything that would be harmful to the unit nor has it been disturbed in any way to cause damage. We seem to be at a loss and any advice would be appreciated
craigalan

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looked for this, but could not find it on mine (73).
Sorry Crying or Very sad
flyingace

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Checked my SV-1 88 in same spot with same patch, no issue. Although mine is new, I'll check it from time to time.

Good luck getting it fixed!
craigalan

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looked for this, but could not find it on mine (73).
Sorry Crying or Very sad
TonyMaggio

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 12:34 pm    Post subject: E Piano 1, Variation 1 Reply with quote

Are you using the Sound Pack 2 sounds?

On my SV-1 73, I experience a similar problem. I no longer use that sound and it resolved the problem.
RichF

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The sound you're describing is part of the sample content. It's the sound of the tine being damped on keyoff, with some resulting harmonic content as the vibration stops.

It's part of the original instrument that was sampled for the SV-1. As part of the realism and character of this electric piano, we've maintained the slight inconsistencies that are present throughout the key range.

If you'd like to try some EPs with different characteristics, I'd recommend you try Sound Pack 2, which you can download for free here:
http://korg.com/uploads/Download/SV1-SoundPack2_634197384070500000.zip

Here's a video that shows you how to install it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nvwj4K-01bA

Hope this helps,
-Rich
TonyMaggio

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rich

When I play the Standard EP sound from Sound Pack 2 on my SV-1 73, I hear bad notes (popping) starting with A above middle C and extending for one octave. I don't hear the popping sound if I play softly.

I have tried to use the editor to correct this problem but have not been successful.

I like the Standard EP sound alot and it would be my favorite EP sound if it did not have this behavior. I do not hear the popping sound with any other samples on the original presets, Sound Pack 1 or Sound Pack 2.

Tony
songremainsinsane

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RichF - I beg to differ for the following reasons:

#1 - when I first got this instrument, that noise was not there. I would have heard it as I use that patch quite a lot and I've had the unit for 1/2 year now - would have been noticable long before two weeks ago

#2 - I've had other owners of the SV1 check (two of which posted a response here) and they have not heard the sound I am talking about

#3 - MIDIing the SV1 to another keyboard and using that keyboard to trigger the SV1 on the key and patch in question does not produce the noise

The frustrating thing about all of it is the fact that I've talked to Korg on phone as well as a local Korg service center - everyone wants to say it's part of the sample without actually bothering to check the unit. The local guy here did the same thing - instead of actually testing it, he called Korg and accepted their story on what is causing the noise. Based on the level of service I've received on this it is likely I won't purchase Korg product again or recommend to others.
RichF

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi songremainsinsane,

We did indeed test it, on several different units, as well as using an external MIDI controller. Just to confirm, you're describing the sound occurs on the D below middle C, and it is a brief ringing sound pitched at the equivalent of an F sharp?

-Rich
songremainsinsane

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then how would you explain my unit not doing it until two weeks ago even though I've been using it since Nov as well as the other people who have tested theirs not hearing it?

I personally would not describe it as a ringing sound - sounds more like a squeek generated by something rubbing. I can also not confirm or deny the pitch being F#, but yes, the key in question is the one I'm talking about
RichF

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi again,

It sounds like we're talking about the same sound, I almost described it as a squeak myself. If that's the case, please take this as official confirmation that it is in fact part of the sample content, and it's always been there. It should also react to an external MIDI keyboard that can transmit a note-off message (we tested this for you as well).

I do have a good theory on why you might not have heard it until now- it's not always audible, based on the SV-1's decay tracking. The longer you hold the note down, the quieter this noise will be when you release the key, as it would be on the real instrument. This means that the sound will be at its loudest when you release the key quickly. Depending on your playing style, it's always possible that you just haven't caused that sound to occur audibly until recently.

Just like any other instrument, the more you live with it and explore your favorite sounds, the more the details jump out at you. I find this to be especially true with the SV-1, where the mechanical noises and RX sounds are an effective, yet subtle part of the experience.

I hope this helps,
-Rich
Kontrol49
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

songremainsinsane wrote:
Then how would you explain my unit not doing it until two weeks ago even though I've been using it since Nov as well as the other people who have tested theirs not hearing it?

I personally would not describe it as a ringing sound - sounds more like a squeek generated by something rubbing. I can also not confirm or deny the pitch being F#, but yes, the key in question is the one I'm talking about

As a result of fallout from the recent Earthquake which caused a problem to the nuclear reactor in Japan,the wind has changed direction,as a repercussion this radiation has drifted inside all SV-1's that have been purchased the radiation appears to have blown inside the SV keybeds due to the massive gaps between the keys.

Due to a chemical Reaction with the Radiation,the component that's clicking inside the SV-1 has morphed into a gremlin

the squeak your hearing,everytime your pressing that key down is simply your squashing the gremlins testicles....Hence the excessive Noise!!!

Mackbaz should be able to enlighten you.

Mr. Green
songremainsinsane

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rich - I appreciate your input but just don't buy that what I am hearing suddenly started. As well you've not explained how others are stating their unit isn't make the noise. My playing style does and has varied from slow and soft playing to hard and fast and with the amount of time logged on this board, it didn't just start to happen. I'm not going to continue to waste your time but I consider it a defect of the unit. There is a local dealer not too far away that has a 73 key version in stock - I'm going to go test my theory on that one as well. If I hear the sound then I'll admit I was wrong and gladly so - but if I try it and don't hear the sound I will definitely post my findings

Kontrol49 - your post is worthless and I don't find any humor in it either. And obviously you didn't read the post correctly anyway since the noise isn't occuring on the pressing down of the key but on release of said key.
flyingace

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, Songremainsinsane, the sound that Rich describes is exactly how my D below middle C sounds.

I just assumed it was part of the sample, so didn't think anything was wrong with it. Still don't. I like the inconsistency in the sounds, they are from vintage instruments.

Why your's just started or you just noticed it? I don't know.

Is that sound controlled by RX?

I hope you can find a way to get past it or represent your noise/problem in another manner that lets a more qualified person (than me) figure out what is going on. I wish you the best of luck.
TonyMaggio

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 5:36 am    Post subject: Standard EP sample Reply with quote

TonyMaggio wrote:
Rich

When I play the Standard EP sound from Sound Pack 2 on my SV-1 73, I hear bad notes (popping) starting with A above middle C and extending for one octave. I don't hear the popping sound if I play softly.

I have tried to use the editor to correct this problem but have not been successful.

I like the Standard EP sound alot and it would be my favorite EP sound if it did not have this behavior. I do not hear the popping sound with any other samples on the original presets, Sound Pack 1 or Sound Pack 2.

Tony

Is anyone hearing a problem with the Standard EP sample? I hear a popping type of sound starting with A above middle C. I continue to hear this noise after turning off the RX noises.

I am not referring to the reported issue with D below middle C. That sounds like an intentional part of the sample.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> KORG SV-1 All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: