Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bug in ESX1?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
markm

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 12:50 am    Post subject: Bug in ESX1? Reply with quote

I just bought a new ESX and tried it out about 2 hours ago. There seems to be a problem that I can't find an answer in the manual or via a search on this forum.

It seems that the LCD screen will flash different messages, making editing difficult. Often I will see"Sens. 064" or perhaps "Speed 123." Surely this isn't correct. It will do this while I'm trying to edit or scroll to another pattern. It's as if the encoders are too sensitive.

Is this defective or is there somthing I missed in the manual? Was this addressed by an OS update?

Thanks for your help.
Setsonics

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not understand the problem.

But I can tell you I have not seen anything like that on my ESX-1
markm

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I want to edit anything or even change a pattern, some other function will pop onto the screen, like "Speed", or "Freq.", or "Tempo." When they are present nothing can be done. After a few seconds they will disappear briefly. You can edit for a few seconds and then another function will flash on the screen.

It reminds me of the ghost editing issue with the early Alesis Ions. Surely this is a defective unit, and I will have to send it back.
Setsonics

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn dude, I have no clue what that is.

But mine does defintally not do anything like that.

Sorry to hear about that friend.
markm

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your empathy. I can tell that this will be a great instrument once everything is up and running.
xanzion

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 8:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Bug in ESX1? Reply with quote

markm wrote:
I just bought a new ESX and tried it out about 2 hours ago. There seems to be a problem that I can't find an answer in the manual or via a search on this forum.

It seems that the LCD screen will flash different messages, making editing difficult. Often I will see"Sens. 064" or perhaps "Speed 123." Surely this isn't correct. It will do this while I'm trying to edit or scroll to another pattern. It's as if the encoders are too sensitive.

Is this defective or is there somthing I missed in the manual? Was this addressed by an OS update?

Thanks for your help.

Sounds like you have the infamous "knob jitters". Your unit will need to be serviced or replaced. I Highly suggest that if you bought that unit recently to replace it wholly. If bought used, prepare that checkbook for the repairs, most used units are wayyy out of warranty already.

peace
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
markm

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem. The retailer is going to replace it.
Ruso
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

no this is not knob jitters because it does not correspond to a knob..... knobs are the small knobs that have a low and a high point, it's a potentiometer and happens when the contact of the potentiometer wears out. This happens on electribes which have been used a lot and only on the commonly used knobs...

but yes you should take it in it sounds faulty they'll fix it at no charge... or if u got it from a store go exchange it.
xanzion

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ruso wrote:
no this is not knob jitters because it does not correspond to a knob..... knobs are the small knobs that have a low and a high point, it's a potentiometer and happens when the contact of the potentiometer wears out. This happens on electribes which have been used a lot and only on the commonly used knobs...

but yes you should take it in it sounds faulty they'll fix it at no charge... or if u got it from a store go exchange it.

Knob jitters reffers to the pot's dude (But it could be more correctly referred to as "Potentiometer Jitters" Razz), not the digital knobs... And second off, I bought a brand new ESX, and had jitters. So It's not JUST used Electribe's. Korg just Isn't savvy enough to give us a break and extend the warranty on that behalf.

Are you from the US ruso?

peace
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Ruso
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

don't be getting defensive before you even read the post. I just told you what you told me. knob jitters are a potentiometer fault I just told you that in my last reply. What I also told you is that it's not one of the knobs that's freaking out. Now that I reread his symptoms it actually doesn't sound like a knob problem at all, since it sounds like there are plural controlls sending random messages I'd have to say it could be the i/o board or the actual board the controlls are mounted to or the link between. But yes this makes it jsut that much more unlikelly that multiple controlls would have jitters out of the box.

But let me clear this up... to the original poster: do those different messages show up in different editing modes? say if you're on a synth part and you try to mess with knobs, does the same message always show up? or is it different ones..... is it different in drum parts? Does the message show up randomly or does it only show up when you turn a knob? Does it show another parameter while you turn one knob as well as the one the knob modifies... I mean like turning synth parts volume makes synth control 1 freak out randomly.

Twisted Evil

and yes I am in the us.
markm

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are random messages coming across. There seems to be no pattern, however, most often I get "Speed" or "Sens." or "Freq." It happens on any editing mode or section (drum, keyboard, etc.) These ghost edits happen even when you are not touching the ESX1. When they appear you cannot edit until they disappear. You might get a couple of seconds, and then another message might appear. It seems to get worse the longer the ESX1 is turned on.

I'm returning it, and will get another.
Ruso
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ya that's how I understood so no its not knob jitters....

but ya good luck mate let us know when they're back I'll hook ya up with a nice sample bank
xanzion

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ruso wrote:
don't be getting defensive before you even read the post. I just told you what you told me. knob jitters are a potentiometer fault I just told you that in my last reply. What I also told you is that it's not one of the knobs that's freaking out. Now that I reread his symptoms it actually doesn't sound like a knob problem at all, since it sounds like there are plural controlls sending random messages I'd have to say it could be the i/o board or the actual board the controlls are mounted to or the link between. But yes this makes it jsut that much more unlikelly that multiple controlls would have jitters out of the box.

and yes I am in the us.

I'm not defensive at all, I only get defensive if the reply is hostile, it wasn't at all in this particular thread. I was just trying to reiterate the same problem I had with my ESX, I automatically assumed it was the jitters by default when I returned mine. I had the same exact problem our guest here is having.

Anyways, Lets get all this hostility out of the way, no use for it on a forum for korgs, keep the hostility in the Video-game Console wars and the like. Razz

peace
markm

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Again, thanks for everyone's comments.
Ruso
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh no no hostillity, a lot of people misunderstand my comments as hostillity I don't mean anything in any hostile way. I was just saying that it's not knob jitters Wink

I think what kinda got me was that I said the exact same phrase "sounds like the infamous knob jitters" to someone before on this forum so it kinda ticked me off a lil Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Electribe All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: