Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Am I the only one???
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gorilla
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 8:25 am    Post subject: Am I the only one??? Reply with quote

Hi all, I am currious to know if I am the only (Bedroom,Home Studio Artist) who stays up during light nights and early mornings playing, tweaking and messing around with his/her recording equipment. I enjoy the early mornings 1-5 am. Is this a musician, songwriter, singer curse? I want to know who else. As you know, "misery loves company".
Laughing Laughing Cool Shocked
Sina172
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by Sina172 on Sun Jan 31, 2016 5:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
Lorenzo
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to... and sometimes I do this... when a month ago I got my kurzweil I play all night long till light came from the window... but I'm a lazy person so I need to sleep at least 7-8 hours per night... Rolling Eyes
krazy78

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yeah,
All the time !!! Shocked
Diego
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi!

I think it's really common between musician to love play during the night.
I've got a desk in my bedroom which I call my "studio", and I totally love to spend hours during the night playing and messing around with music-related activities.
To be honest, I think I work a lot better during the night instead of the day...
But my parents, who sleep in the room next to the mine, are not of the same opinion Wink

regards

Korg M3 with EXB Radias & EXB-256 onboard
MOTU Traveler - iBook G4
Daz
Retired

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 1:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Am I the only one??? Reply with quote

Gorilla wrote:
Hi all, I am currious to know if I am the only (Bedroom,Home Studio Artist) who stays up during light nights and early mornings playing, tweaking and messing around with his/her recording equipment.

You're definitely not alone ... I am feeling a little hazy right now after going to bed too late Wink
Kerzwhile

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah its deff. a curse we all share! I actually dropped out of Ohio State with only a year and a half to go before I got my degree in Architecture because I would stay up all night and cut class because I was inspired. Now 15 years later I am a manager of a Music store!! Yippy! Only if..... Crying or Very sad Laughing
MY Weapons of choice: K2600X, Oasys88, PC3X, K2661, V-Synth, MotifESR, ZR-76, TS-12, VFX, EPS16+,ESQ-1, ESQ-1R, Emu Xtreme Lead, SCI Six Trak, HR-16, Kurzweil Mark 150 Baby Grand and 2 D1600's synced!!!
http://www.soundclick.com/members/default.cfm?member=kerzwhile
nitecrawler
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its not a curse. Wear that pale untanned skin like a badge of honour. Its us and the vampires man. Wink Nitecrawler (maybe thats why I sign out as Nitecrawler) Cool
Trinity2112
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 5:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Am I the only one??? Reply with quote

Gorilla wrote:
Hi all, I am currious to know if I am the only (Bedroom,Home Studio Artist) who stays up during light nights and early mornings playing, tweaking and messing around with his/her recording equipment. I enjoy the early mornings 1-5 am.

Ah yes, the overnight hours. Luv the 1-5am time slot. Peaceful, quiet and dark. Wouldn't have it any other way. Very Happy
Current Korg Lineup: Kronos 61, Oasys 76 · M3-61/RADIAS · Trinity Plus/HDR · 01/WFD · 01R/W · X3R · M3R · Wavestation EX · Wavestation SR · Triton Rack/MOSS · Z1EX · TR-Rack · Karma · D3200 · iM1 · iWavestation · iMono/Poly
Other Synths: Berhinger Deepmind 12 · iProphet · Moog Model D
Dearly departed: X3
citrus

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kerzwhile wrote:
Yeah its deff. a curse we all share! I actually dropped out of Ohio State with only a year and a half to go before I got my degree in Architecture because I would stay up all night and cut class because I was inspired. Now 15 years later I am a manager of a Music store!! Yippy! Only if..... Crying or Very sad Laughing

Oh no, oh no no no no no! Don't tell me this, I'm just heading into my final year doing architecture and recently i've become even more addicted than ever to writing music into the small hours. Thats the thing, as an architecture student you're meant to stay up till 5 anyway, but as a synth addict this means i'll be staying up till probably 9 a.m!!!

Here's to a future of managing a music store, theres a couple of folk on the course living for that dream, beats me why we all do architecture first though.

All I know is this next year is going to be tough Crying or Very sad
Giner
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is such a thing as an "Alpha" state in the mind that fires up creativity, or creativity comes to the forefront when the mind is in that state. Whichever.

The Alpha state is in that hazy area between sleep and waking where the mind comes up with all sorts of wonderful ideas but we're usually too jaded or cognisant enough to commit them to paper or 'tape', even though the ideas are crystal clear at the originating moment. So a lot of what's created is never captured - such a shame. I think musicians are imbued with a healthy dose of 'Alpha state', perhaps because we are of a creative nature in the first place.

I guess if you're up most of the night, then your daytime job will suffer to the point of your being fired, which in turn will give you all the nighttime hours you want. See, there's always a positive side.
mozartgeezer

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i used to do it a lot

these hours are very quiet and inspirational

nothing better than a quiet night for letting music flow Wink
Gorilla
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
There is such a thing as an "Alpha" state in the mind that fires up creativity, or creativity comes to the forefront when the mind is in that state. Whichever.The Alpha state is in that hazy area between sleep and waking where the mind comes up with all sorts of wonderful ideas but we're usually too jaded or cognisant enough to commit them to paper or 'tape', even though the ideas are crystal clear at the originating moment. So a lot of what's created is never captured - such a shame. I think musicians are imbued with a healthy dose of 'Alpha state', perhaps because we are of a creative nature in the first place.

Giner, Thanks for putting a scientific twist to this madness. Thanks to all for your support. I guess I can save the next visit to my Shrink. Shocked Laughing Man, it is truly stated by "(Anon), Misery loves company". I am so grateful to be alive in this day in age. I love this stuff so much I want to legally adopt it. Laughing Laughing
Giner
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Further on this subject, here's an article that ran in the Edmonton Journal one day earlier this week.

Serial nappers gain extra day a week
‘Polyphasic’ sleepers substitute regular naps for conventional night’s rest
FRANCOIS MARCHAND
EDMONTON
from Ryan
Imagine sleeping three hours a night, with three 25-minute naps throughout the day. Would you feel refreshed? Cody Kurz says he does. “So far it’s been over 100 days and I’m loving it,” says the Saskatoon jazz musician who also works full-time at a software company. “I have more time every day than most people are used to, and I get all sorts of good stuff accomplished.

“If you do the math, I gain 28 hours per week of waking time. I try to keep as productive as I can.”

Kurz is a polyphasic sleeper. He got the idea from the Internet, where there’s a community of enthusiasts whospread their sleep over the course of the day — either napping at regular intervals for 20 to 30 minutes every four hours, or adopting a “core sleep” period of an hour or two combined with a few strategic naps.

Few studies have been devoted to polyphasic sleep, and little medical expertise is available regarding the subject — polyphasic sleep remains the domain of bloggers and Internet groups.

Those who have tried it say the adaptation period is often difficult and can take a few weeks.

After adapting, however, polyphasic sleepers say they could function as well as people getting seven or eight hours of sleep every night.

Perhaps the most famous polyphasic sleep experiment is that of American Steve Pavlina, who documented his 51⁄ of polyphasic sleeping on his blog at www.stevepavlina.com.

Ultimately, Pavlina returned to a monophasic sleep schedule, but not because he felt polyphasic sleep was unhealthy.

“The No. 1 reason I decided to call it quits is simply that the rest of the world is monophasic,” Pavlina wrote when he abandoned polyphasic sleep. “If most of the world was polyphasic, I probably would have stuck with it. Obviously, when you go polyphasic, you fall out of sync with the way other people live. You’re awake most of the night while everyone is asleep. If you sleep like most people, then the hours you’ll gain from polyphasic sleep will come in the middle of the night.

“And as I gradually learned, nighttime hours are not the same as daytime hours when you live in a monophasic world.”

For others, like Cody Kurz, the method remains attractive. After all, what would you do with an extra 28 hours of waking time every week?
Pixie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i most often write and play ect over night... but i'm a natural night owl anyways.

i do play during the day though.

actualy lost a new job a few weeks ago because of working on a new song all night... over slepted ect. now if just this song will make up for lost wages.... and some when i present it in future! Smile it actualy may be my best song.. one of... it's a dance song.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: