Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

KORG MIDI USB drivers install Windows 11??
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RobAinscough

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2024 5:47 am    Post subject: KORG MIDI USB drivers install Windows 11?? Reply with quote

I've tried everything to get my KORG Pa5X MIDI USB drivers to show up at KORG ... sadly all I get is "Generic MIDI USB".

I've read this article here: https://support.korguser.net/hc/en-us/articles/115004269166-MIDI-Device-is-not-recognized-on-Windows

But there is no "KORG MIDI Driver Uninstall Utility" for Windows 11.

I've also watched this video on how to get KORG MIDI USB drivers in Windows 11:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p62LI4KrY-k

But sadly this did not help as there is no entry in the registry as defined in that video. There is one entry here under Computer\HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Installer\Products\0BD60B7C6A46E6344B37E0E0CE5C1E47 ... but that's it, nothing else.

I verified I downloaded the latest driver from KORG website here:
https://www.korg.com/us/support/download/product/1/285/

I also posted here that I'm only seeing "Generic USB MIDI" when I power on my KORG Pa5x.
http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=130580&view=next&sid=52bd46d6790feedcff41e87f90d75b47

For now, "Generic USB MIDI" seems to work, but odd that my other MIDI devices (828 MIDI and NI S88 MIDI) show up just fine with correct descriptions.

Thoughts anyone?
RobAinscough

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2024 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No thoughts?
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2024 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a look in the Korg MIDI driver install directory, to see if the uninstaller is present. It should be present in somewhere like (at least for Windows 10):

"C:\Program Files (x86)\KORG\KORG USB-MIDI Driver\UnInstDrv.exe"

If UnInstDrv.exe is not present, then Win 11 is interfering with the driver package install.

Note also this Korg news item, re Win 11:

https://www.korg.com/us/news/2023/0927/

There has yet to be an announcement regarding compatibility with Windows 11 23H2 update.

RobAinscough

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2024 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the response.

Odd that KORG try to install a 32bit MIDI driver in a 64bit OS? Has been over decade since 32bit anything. I’m not surprised Windows 11 would block a 32bit driver.

Fortunately the Generic USB MIDI driver seems to work, but hope KORG get with it and join this century. Wink

Cheers, Rob.
RobAinscough

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2024 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found the folder under Program Files (x86) (32bit) with the following contents:

There seems to be 64bit and 32bit UnInstDrv version ... which is really odd since they are located in Program Files (x86) which is the Win 11 32 bit path?

There is also an "EzSetup" (both 32bit and 64bit).

Should I try UnInstDrv64.exe?

Rob.

EDIT: I am a software engineer by profession (37+ years) and this looks like KORG driver developer doesn't understand Windows 32bit paths vs 64bit paths ... you never want to mix the two.
RobAinscough

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2024 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried both 32bit and 64bit of UnInstDrv and got the following:

So I tried both 32bit and 64bit of EzSetup and just got this error:

I tried to manually update the Generic USB MIDI by navigating to the KORG folder (since that is where the .INF files are) and Win11 just came back with "You already have the best drivers installed" and not option except close.

Based on the driver dates, it looks like KORG have NOT touch these drives in almost 18 months?

I must admit, I'm a little disappointed. Almost $6000 US spent on a Pa5X and it doesn't come with proper driver support?

Rob.
mstodola

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2024 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's probably a Windows 11 issue, not a Korg issue.
RobAinscough

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2024 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll disagree ... if it were a Windows 11 issue then why do all my other MIDI controllers (NI S88, etc.) show up correctly and work correctly?

This is most definitely a KORG programming issue ... that fact there are 64bit and 32bit executables in a path that is ONLY for 32bit executables speaks volumes that whomever created these drivers doesn't really understand basic "Special Directories" defined by Windows OS (going back many years/decades).

Given there are many threads regarding KORG device can't be found after 10th MIDI device is another clue that there is a significant deficiency on the software engineering side. There is NO OS limit to only 10 MIDI devices.

I was contemplating purchasing KORG KEYSTAGE MIDI 2.0 controller, but given this situation I'll hold off or look elsewhere.

Rob.
mstodola

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2024 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because Korg is using the Generic driver. Very Simple. If the Pa5x doesn't need more than the Generic driver that is supplied by Windows 11 why do more. Or maybe because Korg is using a generic driver, so they just named it Generic driver. Who knows. If it works .....???? Very Happy
RobAinscough

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2024 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So if I buy more KORG USB MIDI devices and they all show “Generic USB MIDI” … am I just supposed to guess the correct KORG device? Like I said, this issue doesn’t encourage me to buy any more KORG equipment … sorta pushes me to buy non-KORG equipment just because they can’t write a proper USB MIDI driver like the rest of the industry.

Rob
mstodola

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2024 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Question Question Question Question Question
RobAinscough

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2024 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure what your Question marks are about, pretty clear ... if all KORG USB devices show up as "Generic USB MIDI" how the heck am I supposed to select a specific KORG device in my DAW?

In my DAW 5 KORG devices will show as "Generic USB MIDI" ... just try an guess which one is the device I want to use via trial and error?

Come on, I don't why you are defending KORG like this, makes no sense. KORG have clearly failed to deliver a proper USB MIDI keyboard driver.

Anyway, doesn't matter to me now, I've purchased OTHER manufacturer devices from NI, Akai, Yamaha and others and they all show up correctly identified in Device Manager. My one and forever only one KORG device will be "Generic USB MIDI". Shame, I really expected more from KORG and more from a $5000+ keyboard.

As a consumer I just move on and find work arounds, like buying Yamaha.

I realize this forum is only hosted by KORG USA and I have gone thru their support system which is just a copy and paste link to something that doesn't work or solve the issue. So with that said, I'm actually sad to say goodbye to KORG.
Aripearlmusic
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2024 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you know your way around a registry editor you can rename the driver so it's not too confusing
JagiChan

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2024 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RobAinscough wrote:
Not sure what your Question marks are about, pretty clear ... if all KORG USB devices show up as "Generic USB MIDI" how the heck am I supposed to select a specific KORG device in my DAW?

In my DAW 5 KORG devices will show as "Generic USB MIDI" ... just try an guess which one is the device I want to use via trial and error?

Come on, I don't why you are defending KORG like this, makes no sense. KORG have clearly failed to deliver a proper USB MIDI keyboard driver.

Anyway, doesn't matter to me now, I've purchased OTHER manufacturer devices from NI, Akai, Yamaha and others and they all show up correctly identified in Device Manager. My one and forever only one KORG device will be "Generic USB MIDI". Shame, I really expected more from KORG and more from a $5000+ keyboard.

As a consumer I just move on and find work arounds, like buying Yamaha.

I realize this forum is only hosted by KORG USA and I have gone thru their support system which is just a copy and paste link to something that doesn't work or solve the issue. So with that said, I'm actually sad to say goodbye to KORG.

I agree with your observation. Same here for me, I connected the PA5X to the computer and it shows up as "Generic MIDI device". At first I was confused and I thought maybe I made a mistake installing the drivers, but well seems like everyone of us is having the same issue.
It is a shame that Korg did not provide a named USB to MIDI driver so that we can distinguish it from other devices on the buss. As you mentioned in the previous posts, the engineers have placed 32bit and 64bit drivers in the same 32 bit folder, which is absolutely wrong. I hope they make it right in the upcoming release.
rikkisbears
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2024 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, mine just shows up as generic usb midi,seems to work ok with what I use
it for , including my little Yamaha usb device that gives me Bluetooth to connect PA5x songbook to iPad Baum songbook.

Do the Korg drivers add extra functions?

HOBBYIST

PA5X 88 note
Wavesart CFX 9ft Grand Piano 🥰
Wavesart Japanese Grand Piano

Roland FP10 piano

Yamaha PSR SX900

Band in a Box 2023
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Pa5X All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: