Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is Kronos Still the King ?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

View previous topic :: View next topic  
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2019 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW, Korg's AL-1 virtual analogue synth might be distant relation to the original MOSS. Or Z1.

Some are demanding about a perfect or near perfect recreation of a vintage synth or a MOSS.

AL-1 in our Kronos offers a lot to work with and is capable at classic synth tones.
janrhansen

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2019 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think even the well known limitations in our Kronos'es with regards to voice stealing and the upgrades we all want, Its still the best Workstation around. The competition and hardware upgrades has just caught up with Korgs lead, and yes both the Fantom and Montage/Modx with system 3 has its place in the choices if we were to purchase today, plus all the interesting new "retro" hardware synths and of cause software synths certainly is a much bigger competition today than it was in 2011.

It baffles me tho that, if you know your'e going to end up with lacking some polyphonics in the end, and if you use the sequencer for a performance, why not more chooses to take a cpu heavy track and mix it down to an audio track, freeing up both dsp and polyphonics for eg that multy stacked live played track Razz

And no, I also think that putting money on that Korg would reveal a new mindblowing Workstation at Namm 2020 is propably wasted
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2019 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

janrhansen wrote:

It baffles me tho that, if you know your'e going to end up with lacking some polyphonics in the end, and if you use the sequencer for a performance, why not more chooses to take a cpu heavy track and mix it down to an audio track, freeing up both dsp and polyphonics for eg that multy stacked live played track Razz

good question. Often answered. Its preference.

Hardware work flow and creativity go hand in hand for me. Speed of creation , start to finish. Productivity. These might be considered intangblles by many.

a song writers approach might involve a formula. Once the formula or approach gets a result, momentum builds. Its a beautiful thing.

I don't see it as a 'contest ' to have only 1 way for music production. Your pref is equal to mine. I can work around polyphony issues for the time being. Its not optimum, of course.

The ultimate 'answer' is a hybrid, I think. This is up there with a philosophical discussion.
kronoSphere
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2019 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the ambiguous thing about the workstaions in general is that one :
If you sit in front of a real good piano ( let's take a Steinway for exemple) and if the things turn wrong : you can only blame your playing.
But, in front of any workstation, it is easier to blame he workstation ! Very Happy
Happy Xmas time to all !

https://www.lairdeparis.fr

Current Gear : Kronos 88 / Seaboard Rise / Triton Extreme / Sequoia / Motif Rack XS / TC Helicon voicelive rack /Awave 11 / Audio & VSTi plug-ins connected /wide touchscreen / iPad Pro 512.
Lightbringer

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2019 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is Kronos Still the King?

I've been pondering the answer to that. Some observations:

Most topics on this board that discuss other gear, I see people talking about adding gear to their arsenal, but very little talk getting rid of or replacing the Kronos. I've added other pieces of gear since buying the Kronos, but I haven't found anything I'd consider replacing the Kronos with.

If you have a Kronos and are reasonably proficient with it, I think you can be very, very picky about what gear you choose to supplement it with.

Some add other analog or digital keyboards, some add VST instruments, iPad apps, outboard hardware or even modular synths. The Kronos can interact with and enhance the experience of any of them, while still providing everything you reasonably need to create music all on its own.

It still feels kingly to me. Smile
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2019 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kronos has specific strengths when combining.

Its an excellent midi keyboard controller. I love using the audio inputs.
Some of the sound engines have been slightly mined for potential. We all know about Karma.

And thats the short list.

I think an Audio Interface helps overcome connectivity issues to a Mac/PC and other internal routing back thru Kronos.
IAA

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2019 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Kronos has specific strengths when combining.

Its an excellent midi keyboard controller. I love using the audio inputs.
Some of the sound engines have been slightly mined for potential. We all know about Karma.

And thats the short list.

Agree. I see it as the core of my studio and have only supplemented it with Analog, it covers VI in hardware form pretty much I’d say.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: