Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Rolands Namm keys line up !!!!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lorenzo
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

still 128 polyphony... When will someone think to create a 256, 512 polyphony rompler!?
synthguy
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ Lorenzo,

128 voice polyphony is actually pretty big. I'm with you in wanting more like 172-256 voices, but that requires some pretty high quality DACs to give your output any kind of spaciousness. I guess the Oasys is king in that respect. The Big Four - Yamaha, Roland, Korg and Kurzweil - are giving good converters to their boards, so maybe in a couple more years we'll see that.

Now I have to run over to the Roland site to see if I'll be wanting a G over a Motif XS. Wink
Synthia
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The new Fantom G looks to be an interesting piece of kit.Now I'm stuck.I was going to buy the Motif XS next month but I'm not sure now.
Now it's a toss up between XS and G.
http://www.myspace.com/tritonia
http://www.youtube.com/synthiakorg
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi there, you definitely should wait
thekeymaster

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Greg, Synthia,hold fire until you can compare the two.It means waiting a few months but you may love the way the "G" does certain things.It also comes mainly down to sound,what do you prefer Roland or Yamaha.I'm very intrigued by the Roland though,I already use the Fan X8 and was ready to get rid of as I cant gig with it anymore,too much weight.I was gonna get a X6 or 7.The G7 looks inviting to me......it will compliment my O76 very nicely.

Its nice when new products are released,feels like an extended Xmas. Wink

Cake Muncher
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Vadim
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fantom-G's sequencer is Definatly OASYS Killer!!!

As usual, Roland waits for Korg to release something, than they copy it and make it somehow better...

IMO, even XS is better than OASYS...
Voltan

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you mean in terms of sequencing only? or in general? :>
thekeymaster

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vadim wrote:
Fantom-G's sequencer is Definatly OASYS Killer!!!

As usual, Roland waits for Korg to release something, than they copy it and make it somehow better...

IMO, even XS is better than OASYS...

Well I wont disagree with the Seq part of your comment but as for a killer I still think Yamaha and Roland have not got near the OASYS sonically, yet.I will reserve judgement on the S&S capabilities but the HD-1 does not have artifacts,so the Roland had better be pretty dam clean.The Yam has them,still but they have got some lovely sounds.

Plus OASYS has so much more than standard engines and no matter what Yam do with Arps they are not KARMA but i'm not gonna sit here and defend a product,I'm just gonna say competition is good and I will give the Fan G my attention.

Life would be boring without opinions.

Cake Muncher
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Synthia
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi keymaster and greg,

You are right there,I should wait for the Fantom G to hit the stores but I hate waiting Smile
I already have the Fantom S and V-Synth but no Yamaha board at all apart from the old DX7.So really I need a Yammy board in my set up.The Motif XS has some very nice sounds and it does sound different from the Rolands and Korgs.
Saying that the G does look sooo tempting. Smile
http://www.myspace.com/tritonia
http://www.youtube.com/synthiakorg
synthguy
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well..... now I'm not sure.

I have a Fantom-X and it's fine and dandy with just it's basic effects, since the SRX cards along with that 128meg rom are outstanding. I don't need killer filters since I have a Karma plus MOSS, along with a Kurzweil K2000, Motif Rack and a few other goodies.

However... a Fantom-X with 16 insert effects... and that's even before considering possibly better filters, and whatever synth madness Roland is going to unleash with ARX boards. I might have to think about this.
Voltan

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK... it looks like the new Fantom features a "LIVE MODE" which basically lets you cylce through setups without any sound iterruption. Now that's a cool feature.
vEddY
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Voltan wrote:
OK... it looks like the new Fantom features a "LIVE MODE" which basically lets you cylce through setups without any sound iterruption. Now that's a cool feature.

.... and something that's completely possible with K2500/K2600 and OASYS for a couple of years now Smile But what's even more neat, OASYS's way of doing this is by far the best, by using KARMA... Absolutely awesome, I kind of worship that feature, can't say enough nice words for it... Smile
Personally? LPI. RHCE, RHCI, RHCX, RHCVA. MCITP 2008 certification done. MCITP Virtualization Administrator done. MCITP Exchange 2010 done. MCITP MS SQL 2008 done. MCT done. MCSE Server Infrastructure 2012, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSE:Messaging and MCSE: Desktop Infrastructure done. VCP5-DV done. VCI done. MCITP: Sharepoint 2010 Administrator done. VCP5-Cloud done. VCP5-DT done. VCAP5-DCA done. VCP6-DCV done.
darwiniandude

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 1:39 am    Post subject: Oasys vs Fantom Reply with quote

I guess I can understand a previous posters opinion that some other workstations IN SOME areas beat the Oasys...

I have neither, but have used both a lot. I love the Oasys, and I want one. However there are some minuses vs the Roland. So for an all in one workstation, the Fantoms do have some benefits over the much better Oasys.

Sequencer, no audio track view like fantom.
Sequencer, no piano roll view like fantom.
Load boot time due to all 'rom' sounds being loaded into ram from hard disk.
size, weight.

But I'd still rather have an Oasys.

Korg could easily fix all those issues in a software update anyway, shoudl they choose. I was just suprised when I sat in front of the 10" Oasys Screen that there was still only an event list for midi data.

EDIT: this is just a comment, based on my use of the Oasys and Fantom X, not Fantom G. Still no touch screen... atleast the drum pads can be used for Numeric entry now. I can't believe the Fantom S and Fantom X had NO ability to quickly 'dial up' a sound on a number pad a la Korg. Nuts!

Last edited by darwiniandude on Fri Jan 18, 2008 1:44 am; edited 1 time in total
Voltan

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vEddY wrote:
.... and something that's completely possible with K2500/K2600 and OASYS for a couple of years now Smile

But not on Motif XS (I think) or M3 so it's still cool Wink
I don't know how much this new Fantom will cost but I believe OASYS will still be a league of it's own (in both features and prices Laughing )
vEddY
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Voltan wrote:

But not on Motif XS (I think) or M3 so it's still cool Wink
I don't know how much this new Fantom will cost but I believe OASYS will still be a league of it's own (in both features and prices Laughing )

I think that you're right about the XS, but wrong about the M3. From what I remember, I tried to make a COMBI with KARMA-ified sound switching (OASYS-style) and after a couple of U-turns because we were damn blind, it worked. I remember getting frustrated that October afternoon trying to make it happen, but I think we pulled it off the next day. Hmmm...
Personally? LPI. RHCE, RHCI, RHCX, RHCVA. MCITP 2008 certification done. MCITP Virtualization Administrator done. MCITP Exchange 2010 done. MCITP MS SQL 2008 done. MCT done. MCSE Server Infrastructure 2012, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSE:Messaging and MCSE: Desktop Infrastructure done. VCP5-DV done. VCI done. MCITP: Sharepoint 2010 Administrator done. VCP5-Cloud done. VCP5-DT done. VCAP5-DCA done. VCP6-DCV done.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Latest News All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: