Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Restart again with OS 3.1
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pawlikp100
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pawlikp100 wrote:

But I found that one styl with Dynamix drums mapped doesn't play all drum sounds.

Correction:
It is not a bug. I didn't erease all samples after update procedure.
Korghelper
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

korg1 wrote:
As i said many times,restarts happen since v3.0 even if ONLY factory resources are loaded within Os.

As this is the condition that quite possibly the majority of owners have their PA4X in (no matter how technical you may be, the truth is that most arranger users don’t bother much with sample sets or even third party styles), the fact that only a small percentage suffers the restart issue pretty much rules out the OS. Or we would be seeing it pretty universally.

What we are seeing here seems far more likely to be a hardware issue. Perhaps we can get everyone with the issue to post their SN# and see if we spot any trends. I have a feeling Korg are unlikely to share with us any details of their component runs or may themselves be unaware of Chinese component changes or tolerance imperfections.

SN#, voltage where used, pictures of the backplate (to see if any irregularities), things like that, maybe even disassembly and photos of internal componentry could offer a clue...

In truth, we are in a better position than Korg themselves to quickly put this data together as their communication is all one on one, and we can easily address all here in one go.

But it is time to stop pretending this is a widespread problem, and concentrate on helping Korg help you. How many thousands of PA4x’s Have been sold? How many have the issue? Three or four (well under ten posting here, for sure!)? Time to stop blaming the OS, IMHO...

We all accept that in the automotive industry, lemons happen. Maybe it’s time we looked into hardware rather than software?
korg1
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was the first thing crossed my mind,but i gave it up soon,as keyboard works fine with v2.2 .
Never had even one restart.
First time restarts happened was with version 3.

But let's assume you are right.
Then,even if 1% has this problem,it means that there are quite many thousands of faulty pa4x's on the planet.
So,it's not a small percent as you might think.

For me,
Os is the problem,maybe not the Os itself but the resources and the memory management it has.
Too many,more than it can handle? Maybe this is the problem.

And i am telling this again:

Μore restart issues on my experience might happen when using and editing songbook.
That means if you are not using it extensively,this issue might never happen to you.

If for example a bug happens when plugin a microphone, i would probably never know it,cause even if i am using most of the pa4's features, i don't use this option yet at least .

https://pasongstyles.com/
https://soundcloud.com/korgfx
BR
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I am still at v2.1 and its stable.
I wont upgrade to V3 until this restarting issue will be fixed.

I know some other Pa4X users pro musicians around me who are not members here in the forum that are still on v2 and
we share some news sometimes about the Pa4X issues. They do not want to update to v3 because of these problems.

So it's hard to say how many Pa4X have or not have the restarting issues.
I think our forum is not the ultimate reference to get an accurate statistic about how many users exactly have the problem with their Pa4X.

Not all the Pa4X users are member here to report or maybe as Korg1 mentioned, they have never encountered the same issues since everyone has different usage and needs.
karmathanever
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PLEASE ALSO REFER TO THIS LOCKED TOPIC ON THE SAME SUBJECT
http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=118849

Thanks

Pete Very Happy
...and play lots of music Very Happy
------------------------------------------------------------------
Korghelper
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Korg1 is using backwards logic (and speculative math!)...

To say that 1% would be thousands with the problem ignores that thousands are not posting here, a mere handful are. And 1% of users equaling thousands of problems means hundreds of thousands of PA4x’s having been sold...

No doubt the PA4X is decently selling arranger, but to imagine that hundreds of thousands have been sold is wildly optimistic! The DX7 was one of the best selling keyboards of all time and barely topped 200,000. I’d estimate low tens of thousands tops, if that. But let’s just assume 10,000 sales (still pretty optimistic IMHO) and ten people reporting the issue. That’s 0.1%.

And to me, that sounds a lot like hardware, not software.

My speculation (and that’s all it is!) is that higher demands on critical components by the new OS may expose underlying problems with poorly spec’d chips that may have crept into the supply chain at some point. Go back to a less demanding OS, and the problem clears up. It definitely seems that Next has upped the demands on the CPU and likely other chips like I/O or data pipes, and one bad run of these chips or boards might present issues that the vast majority don’t face. And if Korg don’t have one of those out of spec arrangers to test on, they aren’t going to be able to replicate the issue.

I have suggested steps those with the issue can take to see if there is any common hardware s/n#’s or date of manufacture similarities. I strongly suggest you look in this direction until you disprove it...
Korghelper
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@BR...

You can always roll back to v2.2 if you get the issue, there have been no reports of the issue persisting despite a roll back.

In truth, NOT updating out of fear of the issue is contributing towards how difficult the issue is to troubleshoot. The more people that upgrade, the more people can report whether affected by the problem or not, and the more data there is for possible causes. Just have the 2.2 files ready to go and rollback is a few minutes’ task.

A couple of days hardcore editing and playing at home ought to expose if you get the issue before you go out on a gig... and you can always rollback before the gig and then reload NEXT when safely back home again if unconvinced whether you have the issue or not. A week or two of this will probably calm your anxiety!

By not upgrading, you are actually contributing to the issue not getting fixed or identified...
BR
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Korghelper wrote:
@BR...

You can always roll back to v2.2 if you get the issue, there have been no reports of the issue persisting despite a roll back.

In truth, NOT updating out of fear of the issue is contributing towards how difficult the issue is to troubleshoot. The more people that upgrade, the more people can report whether affected by the problem or not, and the more data there is for possible causes. Just have the 2.2 files ready to go and rollback is a few minutes’ task.

A couple of days hardcore editing and playing at home ought to expose if you get the issue before you go out on a gig... and you can always rollback before the gig and then reload NEXT when safely back home again if unconvinced whether you have the issue or not. A week or two of this will probably calm your anxiety!

By not upgrading, you are actually contributing to the issue not getting fixed or identified...

Agreed with you that if I upgrade to v3 and have problem I can always roll back to v2.
However, since i perform several times per week, I can not risk to perform with an unstable keyboard.
Just FYI, I am still at v 2.1 and it's stable. I gig 3 times per week and except 3 times freezing since 2016, my Pa4x was so far stable.

I had a chance to perform 2 times last week with another rented Pa4X V3, I played with a band and
used only my set witch includes only SET List, used only sounds that I prepared in Style Mode but not using any styles (no Style, no Sequencer, no Midi files, etc...).

It was OK , no problem, the only thing I did not like, was the dark color of the display.
It was in a big stage with no optimal lighting condition and I had difficulties to detect and select the sounds (keyboard sets).
The blue font on a dark background bothered me a lot and I was not comfortable.

I hope Korg will give some more options regarding color display to their users after fixing the restart issues.
duby2
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 10:00 pm    Post subject: dull blue Reply with quote

your tired of hearing me say it , Iam sure , but I agree with BR,,

the color are nice is a well lighted place .. not any were eles.. dull blue and dull orange on a dull background bother lots of people..
and korg did not let us change color in OS2 and korg will not let you change it in future....
you know what's best for us..? Sad
Korghelper
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@BR...

If you are playing 2-3 days a week, you have 4-5 days a week to load 3.1, work it like a dog, and see if you can crash it! Load 2.2 back in before you go to work until you finally feel you can trust it.

If it crashed 3 times in the past, and you managed to overcome your fear of upgrading, might as well do it again.
duby2
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 2:18 am    Post subject: os3 Reply with quote

BR

there not much new in os3

New features:
- Keyboard Sets can now be copied to multiple SongBook Entries
you can do this in the computer songbook...

- Chord Sequence can now drive the Harmony voices
korg forget to fix it at the beging .

- Multiple selection of SongBook Entries
don't know what is it ,but I live this long with out it,, it can't be nothing great...

- Master Transpose now applied to the Lyrics and Score pages
this should have been there from day one ..live with out it so far.

- Sample and MultiSample select windows modified
windows modified ok and new bad colors...
but it has more sample room if it works and if you need it ...

and as far as going back and forth from os3 and back to os2 ever other day ... it take a long time to go back to os2 . it has to format and copy everthing back again and then load your set ...
to much waste of time....going to os 3 is fast .. just not back ward..

I and staying with os2.2 untill it all get work out
BR
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 4:33 pm    Post subject: Re: os3 Reply with quote

duby2 wrote:
BR

there not much new in os3

New features:...
- Sample and MultiSample select windows modified
windows modified ok and new bad colors...
but it has more sample room if it works and if you need it ...

and as far as going back and forth from os3 and back to os2 ever other day ... it take a long time to go back to os2 . it has to format and copy everthing back again and then load your set ...
to much waste of time....going to os 3 is fast .. just not back ward..

I and staying with os2.2 untill it all get work out

Agreed with you.
Except the sampling feature, none of those feature are not my primary needs.
And will update to V3 when the restart problem is fixed or at least knowing the reason by Korg, if this is software or hardware problem.
And giving more option for display colors (for me it has the same importance as restart issue).
AntonySharmman
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Restarting issue will be fixed soon but not in the way you're all expecting !
As I have stated in the past , I'm convinced that this issue when happens has to do with older models' resources
if not an actual hardware issue , therefore KorgPa new OS developers solution after failure to replicate this issue
with factory resources , will be the overall prevention of loading any incompatible resources like STY,PCG,PRF,PAD,KSC files
using deeper files validation compatibility.
This actually means that if your custom resources are the problem of crashing system , you will not be able to load them again in
Pa4X or any flagship successor and you will stay tuned at Pa4X OS v.2.2.

Keyboards : Steinway-D, Kronos X, Pa5X 76, Pa4X 76, Montage M7 , Roland-XV88, Emu3,Emax II,Synclavier II,Yamaha DX Series, ΟΒ-8V
karmathanever
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AntonySharmman wrote:
This actually means that if your custom resources are the problem of crashing system , you will not be able to load them again in
Pa4X or any flagship successor and you will stay tuned at Pa4X OS v.2.2.

WOW!! That is a strong statement - is that official?
Have Korg really narrowed it down to loading non-factory data?

I am not experiencing any problems with data from many previous Korg models right back to the i-series - and I use them today.
I also have many non-korg styles too. I am on OS 3.1.0

A couple of forum members reported experiencing these shutdowns whilst in a factory-only state (no USER data or SAMPLES).

I am still confused by all this..... but it would be great to have a positive "solution" to an identified problem.

Cheers

Pete Very Happy
...and play lots of music Very Happy
------------------------------------------------------------------
duby2
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 5:16 pm    Post subject: The Fix Reply with quote

Remember if you own a Pa1x and wanted the new styles from Pa2x you had to buy a new pa2x , the styles were not compatible with the pa1x ... and this was for the pa2x to the pa3x and styles from the pa4x were not compatible with the pa3x ..
and now the pa4x next , is not backward compatible ..that would be creepy,,,

Like karmathanever , I use old style from the i-series and work fine right now ..
i doubt the FIX would stop us from useing older models' resources .
Korg would shoot yourself in the foot ..
i am sure that not what any one is saying ... I hope.
I am not wear about a thing ..but it is funny..

korg could make a small utility style program to check resources files..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Pa4X All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 4 of 9

Jump to: